ECM Jammer from Thargoid Missions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Jonathon
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

ECM Jammer from Thargoid Missions

Post by Jonathon »

Hi all,

I do believe that this is my very first post to this forum. A shame really given how long I have been playing Oolite and Elite.

I have recently finished the Thargoid Missions in Galaxy 3. More specifically I blew up the Thargoid Space Station in the Edtion system.

Naval Command gifted me an ECM jammer at the beginning of these Thargoid missions but either it doesn't work or I don't know how to work it - it didn't appear to come with any instructions.

Does anyone know how to work it or is there a problem with the OXP for these missions that prevents the jammer from working.

Using 1.76.1 May 20th 2012

Many thanks
Last edited by DaddyHoggy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Other duplicate post removed (due to First Approval delay)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: ECM Jammer from Thargoid Missions

Post by Disembodied »

Jonathon wrote:
Hi all,

I do believe that this is my very first post to this forum. A shame really given how long I have been playing Oolite and Elite.

I have recently finished the Thargoid Missions in Galaxy 3. More specifically I blew up the Thargoid Space Station in the Edtion system.

Naval Command gifted me an ECM jammer at the beginning of these Thargoid missions but either it doesn't work or I don't know how to work it - it didn't appear to come with any instructions.

Does anyone know how to work it or is there a problem with the OXP for these missions that prevents the jammer from working.

Many thanks
Hi Jonathon! The ECM jammer is one of these (relatively) new-fangled bits of OXP kit that need to be primed. The default key is "n".
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Jonathon, and welcome aboard!
Disembodied wrote:
Hi Jonathon! The ECM jammer is one of these (relatively) new-fangled bits of OXP kit that need to be primed. The default key is "n".
More specifically, Shift-n (N) to cycle through to the item of primable equipment you wish to use (Ctrl-Shift-n to cycle in the opposite direction) and plain old "n" to activate the equipment. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Diziet Sma wrote:
More specifically, Shift-n (N) to cycle through to the item of primable equipment you wish to use (Ctrl-Shift-n to cycle in the opposite direction) and plain old "n" to activate the equipment. :wink:
:oops: Indeed yes - I forgot about priming the thing in the first place!
Jonathon
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Jonathon »

Hey thank you very much gentlemen.

I had the keyboard guide by KZ9999 but had never put 2 and 2 together to realise that N was the key to use - it was a bit esoteric. I had tried 'O' in the hope that that was the key but is was not to be.

Not to worry - tried 'n', 'N' and CTRL N and it works just great.

Thank you
Commander Gav
Average
Average

Post by Commander Gav »

Without cheating, does anyone know how to get the ECM Jammer repaired in the event it is damaged? I have been to a Tech Level 14 world (no TL15 worlds in Galaxy 4) and even tried a Rock Hermit and a Galactic Navy Station in desperation.

Do you need to return to the space station where you got it from? Does anyone remember the name of the system?

Thanks.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Jonathon wrote:
Hi Jonathon, and welcome.
Current version is 1.77.1. Many improvements over 1.76, so well worth updating :)

Nothing to see here...move along please...
Last edited by Smivs on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Or sic some of my Repair 'Bots (or install the Repair System) at it...

I think I coded it that they had a chance at fixing it, albeit not a high one per shot.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Jonathon wrote:
Current version is 1.77.1. Many improvements over 1.76, so well worth updating :)
Do you make a habit of replying to year-old posts? :wink: :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Jonathon wrote:
Do you make a habit of replying to year-old posts? :wink: :lol:
Erm, only if I can't find anything older!
:oops:
Commander Gav
Average
Average

Post by Commander Gav »

Thanks Thargoid, I installed your repair system oxp and it worked. I even went to a Hacker Outpost from the Anarchies OXP and they couldn't fix it either. The outpost was in a TL9 Anarchy, the highest Anarchy TL in Galaxy 4, maybe in a different galaxy with a higher Anarchy TL they could do it?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

<checks date on previous post> :P
I think TL9 is the highest for Anarchies.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
<checks date on previous post>
:lol:
Commander Gav
Average
Average

Post by Commander Gav »

Smivs wrote:
OK, so I assume that the Hackers can't fix the ECM Jammer since Hackers only appear in Anarchy systems. Thanks.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Commander Gav wrote:
Smivs wrote:
OK, so I assume that the Hackers can't fix the ECM Jammer since Hackers only appear in Anarchy systems. Thanks.
Indeed, they can't. Hacker Outposts have tech level of 10, IIRC. Thus they're superior to the main station in their system (because 9 is indeed the highest TL for Anarchies), but they still can't fix the absolute high-end equipment.

Also, I'm not sure which OXP this jammer comes from, but it's clearly younger than Anarchies.oxp. Thus there are no special provisions in Anarchies.oxp that would make this piece of equipment repairable. And whether it's repairable in normal stations depends only on its effective tech level. Again, as I don't know which OXP it's from I can't check this, but my guess would be that it's at least 15, which would make it repairable only on the very highest TL stations.

EDIT: Found it, and it's even trickier than that. The ECM Jammer has only TL 0, but it's only available on a single system when certain conditions are matched. I guess that the same conditions have to apply in order to make the repair option available. Otherwise the item simply doesn't show up on the F3 screen. And because I also guess that the additional conditions are only met during a specific phase of the accompanying mission, this means that nothing related to an ECM Jammer will ever be able to show up on an F3 screen ever again once the mission goes to its next stage. So the repair bots are indeed the only possible way of repairing it if it goes bust.