Winter storms in Europe

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Winter storms in Europe

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

I just read a bulletin describing the storm that is over the European area OMG :shock:

My heartfelt condolences to those in Scotland, Wales, England, Denmark and Germany. I truly hope that you and your loved ones have managed to weather the storm without injury or serious loss of property.

Yah-ta-hey
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Winter storms in Europe

Post by Cody »

For North Sea coasts, they say the storm surge is worse than '53. Luckily, flood defenses are better now - but many people are still in peril tonight.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Winter storms in Europe

Post by Commander McLane »

The overall impression that I've got from listening to the news in the morning was that in Germany it wasn't as bad as expected. The wind speeds, for instance, were not in the same category as during storm "Christian" end of October (up to 155km/h vs. up to 190km/h). Also, the dykes are in much better shape than at the time of the great storm flood that drowned Hamburg in 1962 and is still ingrained in public consciousness as a prototypical natural disaster. Back then they broke in 60 places (versus 0 for the current storm "Xaver").

On the other hand, it's not over yet. And it may be different in other countries.