Ubuntu/Linux Guru's - HELP!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Ubuntu/Linux Guru's - HELP!

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Hey guys,
I know I've not been around in a long time, but was hoping one of you could help me out. As some of you know, I'm a decent Windows guy, but Linux and I aren't that familiar with each other. :P

Since I was last in the community, I set up an Ubuntu server here in the house. It was running 13.04, and last night I let it start the automated process to upgrade to 13.10. It appears to have hung, and I was forced to reboot it this morning. Now, it's having trouble booting. The error displayed is:

Code: Select all

init: hwclock main process (331) terminated with status 2
mountall start/starting
Init: mountall main process (337) terminated with status 2
Filesystem check or mount failed.
A maintenance shell will now be started.
CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and continue booting after re-trying filesystems.  Any further errors will be ignored
It then dumps me to root in the maintenance shell.

This is a VM, and I have a corporate WebEx account, so if one of you is willing to help me get this running, I can give you console access. I just really need to get this up and running again. :/ Is anyone willing to lend a hand?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ubuntu/Linux Guru's - HELP!

Post by Diziet Sma »

Willing, yes.. but this looks to be a little beyond my abilities. Also, as I'm located in Australia, there would be some timezone issues, should it prove necessary for us to work together on this. Hopefully someone closer will be able to assist.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ubuntu/Linux Guru's - HELP!

Post by CheeseRedux »

Have you tried boot-repair? For someone like me, whose "Linux" experience is limited to mucking around with Unix a few decades ago, it has proven to be a good tool for fixing boot issues. If, as it sounds like, you are completely unable to boot, it can be installed and run from a live-CD/DVD/USB.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install boot-repair-ubuntu
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt