Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Alternative mouse control?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cruithne3753
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Alternative mouse control?

Post by Cruithne3753 »

I've tried using the mouse, but really can't get on with it the way it is with the position controlling how fast the ship turns, so I'm sticking with the keys for the time being. Could it possible to have the mouse control based on speed rather than position, so it behaves rather like mouselook on ground based FPSs? (although with horizontal movement as roll rather than yaw!) ? OXP or something?
pioolite
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Alternative mouse control?

Post by pioolite »

Let me refresh the topic and add the question: is the mouse behavior adjustable in any way by some config files or OXP?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Yes. Here is the breakdown:

Mouse control works by default on fullscreen only. You can still get it to work in windowed mode by adding the line

Code: Select all

"mouse-control-in-windowed-mode" = YES;
in your .GNUstepDefaults file.

To activate mouse control, you have two options: Either Shift+M or Shift+Ctrl+M. The difference between them is that the first activates mouse with roll on the x-axis, while the second activates it with yaw on the x-axis. The second one is closer to FPS or Wing Commander-style control. To deactivate mouse control, press Shift+M again. Left button is your laser, while right-clicking will center all controls immediately and is very useful if you find yourself drifting uncontrollably or when you want to fine aim. Hope this helps.
pioolite
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by pioolite »

Thanks, I didn't know about the Shift+Ctrl+M difference. Is it possible to change the reversed vertical directions when using it? I use the ReverseControl OXP for keyboard+aft view, maybe there is something similar for mouse too?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

pioolite wrote:
Is it possible to change the reversed vertical directions when using it? I use the ReverseControl OXP for keyboard+aft view, maybe there is something similar for mouse too?
I didn't test extensively, but slightly modifying the script in the aft view keyboard reversal expansion pack, indicates that indeed mouse control can be reversed as well by means of OXP.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

ReverseControl is reverting the position changes of your ship which is independent from the input method you use. Even if you invented any new home-made contoller into your box you should be happy without further changes, just try out. ;)