JFK - fifty years on

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

JFK - fifty years on

Post by Cody »

There won't be many here who can remember exactly what they were doing when the news hit - but I'm one of them.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: JFK - fifty years on

Post by Commander McLane »

I don't even actively remember the moon landings, that's how young a whippersnapper I am. :oops:

My first active memory of the sense that something had happened which impacted everybody is the attack on the Israeli team during the Munich Olympics. I was four at the time.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I was seven at the time, and while aware that something had happened I was too young to really understand. I think the first major news item that really meant anything to me was the Aberfan disaster three years later, which struck a chord as many of the children were the same age as me, and I could relate to that.
I certainly remember the moon landings - staying up late to watch Apollo 11 land is probably still the event of my life.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I was three at the time.. so don't really recall it.. I do remember my parents being upset at the time.
Commander McLane wrote:
I don't even actively remember the moon landings, that's how young a whippersnapper I am.
Now that, I do remember.. our school didn't have tv's for students back then.. so my teacher took the entire class to her house to watch it live.. a memory that will stay with me for life.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

all too vivid for me: Wendler Jr high, Anchorage Alaska 7th grade .5th period. American History. instructor was prepping us for a civil war quiz. She was called out.. came back in a state of shock. All she could
say was that the president had just been shot. The PA announced that we were all to go home.Everybody was confused and frightened.
This was before Alaska had live tv and everything came in taped and 2 weeks behind everyone else.
We had to rely on the Radio for uptodate info. Got most of our news from a radio station in Edmonton Ca and from radio Moscow when the atmospherics allowed. Our local radio stations had time delay on them so even they were slow to get information.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

The mafia dun it..fact :-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
all too vivid for me:
Yep... it would've been early evening here in England, and my dad had not long been in from work. He'd just had his dinner, and was having a shave before going out to his second job, when the newsflash came on the TV... it was the first time I'd ever seen him shocked and speechless!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

jacksy wrote:
The mafia dun it..fact :-)
That's an argument that's no longer tenable.. especially given all the new evidence uncovered over the last decade or so.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied