Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Got to love Glasgow.

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
A personal request amidst all this: can we keep things civil, please?
Seconded!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Disembodied wrote:
There's also the issue as to what might happen to the value of Sterling, should it suddenly find itself without the support of 95% of North Sea oil and 100% of the whisky exports (the two top earners for the UK Treasury). I'm guessing it might drop, sharply: that might be an incentive for Holyrood and Westminster to, you know, negotiate.
You forgot to mention what the loss of those shipyards would mean to both England and its' Navy.. :twisted:

I much suspect that if England lost those 'big 3' items, it would suffer more than Scotland, hence their opposition.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

I think that sensible people (I count myself among them) know it would be a bad thing for the UK in many ways.
It would however alter the balance at Westminster - some might see that as worth the price.

Politics though - it's best left out of most conversations.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Cody wrote:
It would however alter the balance at Westminster
Not by as much as some people think. From the Financial Times:
John Curtice, professor of politics at Strathclyde University, tells me that while it would be harder for Labour to win [without Scottish votes] it would not be impossible. According to Professor Curtice, Labour would still have won in 1945, 1950, 1997, 2001 and 2005.

In February 1974 there would still have been no majority but the Tories would have nudged ahead of Labour. Eight months later, Harold Wilson’s majority of three would have been obliterated.

In 2005 Labour’s majority of 66, already down steeply from 167 at the previous election, would have been halved – but Tony Blair would have still edged it.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
Not by as much as some people think.
Aye... but enough to deliver a clear Tory majority in the 2015 general election? Possibly - but I ain't any sort of expert!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Fatleaf wrote:
Live in exile? You choose to be in America and it seems you are turning out to be just another loud American that likes to tell everybody else in the world how to live without having any real grasp of the issues involved.
Let me explain something to you: I didn't choose to live in America - sorry dude, that was not my choice. And how am I telling anyone how to live? That's a bold statement, seeing as the Scottish people themselves seem to be largely in favor of it - I'm just showing solidarity with them in my support of the decision. So somehow my being in support of it is telling people how to live? :lol:
Fatleaf wrote:
Security: As a separate country they will have to build an armed force for the air, sea and land. With all the coastline Scotland has the Navy would most likely be the priority which would have to include at least one submarine. Scotland would also not qualify to be a member of NATO so that will bring a whole raft of difficulties.

Now with just those two things - Currency and Security - the cost will run into the billions. Scotland has a small population. So what kind of county will it be in comparison to how it is now. Scotland would end up like Greece..
I can maybe see the currency as being an issue, but why on earth would Scotland, as Cim pointed out, need a huge military?
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
There's also the issue as to what might happen to the value of Sterling, should it suddenly find itself without the support of 95% of North Sea oil and 100% of the whisky exports (the two top earners for the UK Treasury). I'm guessing it might drop, sharply: that might be an incentive for Holyrood and Westminster to, you know, negotiate.
You forgot to mention what the loss of those shipyards would mean to both England and its' Navy.. :twisted:
Especially as Scotland is where the Royal Navy base of the UK's nuclear deterrence (the Vanguard-class missile subs) is located - if Scotland does go independent, the subs will have to move someplace else...
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ranthe wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
Especially as Scotland is where the Royal Navy base of the UK's nuclear deterrence (the Vanguard-class missile subs) is located - if Scotland does go independent, the subs will have to move someplace else...
To say nothing of how BAE Systems recently announced the closing of its' Portsmouth shipyard in mid-2014, with a loss of 1,775 jobs, and that the second Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carrier will be relocated to its' Glasgow yards for completion.. :twisted:

<flash on mental image of drunken Glaswegians traffic-coning the new carrier> :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Diziet Sma wrote:
<flash on mental image of drunken Glaswegians traffic-coning the new carrier> :lol:
"Hey! It's not a good night unless you get a traffic cone!" - The Cat, Red Dwarf, "The Last Day"
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Cody wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
A personal request amidst all this: can we keep things civil, please?
Seconded!
<nods>
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

How on Earth did you guys go from talking about Glasgow drunks to politics? The cone is back and all is right with the world! :lol:
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Dawn Trader
Competent
Competent

Post by Dawn Trader »

"How on Earth did you guys go from talking about Glasgow drunks to politics? "

Easy answer to that.. it is in our Genes to discuss what we feel to be unimportant but important to loudly discuss ... now let's get back to the wheat beer...The stuff that I have tried here is one that you must acquire a taste for and then you gotta be slightly drunk to appreciate what you just had. :D
Cloning, It's not for everyone.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Dawn Trader wrote:
... you gotta be slightly drunk to appreciate what you just had.
<smirks> I know that feeling all too well.