[WiP]Ship's Cat OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WiP]Ship's Cat OXP

Post by CommRLock78 »

Smivs wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
ROFL :!: I went to check the Ship Outfitting screen for the current animal, and lo and behold, who should I find ? : Ship's Cat, Smivs ! Described as a helpful and friendly ginger cat that bears a strong resemblance to a certain gourd - sounds like someone we know ! :P
:mrgreen: :lol: Nice!
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
xzanfr
Competent
Competent

Post by xzanfr »

This is a great oxp - excellent idea superbatprime!
Jones has just joined the crew of "Gef the talking mongoose".
I'm just willing him to purr "don't panic" every so often (as well as spot aliens ;) )

Fantastic work to all those involved (and LOL to smivs pic :D )
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Ahh.. by the late great Eric Frank Russell.. I wasn't aware of that story, though.. I know him from one of my favourite anarchist scifi stories, And Then There Were None. He's credited with having originated the expression "myob" for "Mind your own business" which appeared in the story.
Thanks for the link, I've been laughing all the time (well, I started laughing when the orders went all the way through the hierarchy from the ambassador to the sergeant major - that's the moment which sets the tone for the whole story) while I read that.

Edit: I just found out that the version of the story linked by Diziet Sma is not the original 1951 novella, but a part from the extended 1962 version The Great Explosion.

On topic: Great OXP, it would really be nice to see on the status screen what the cats are doing.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

[thread-drift]
Gimbal Locke wrote:
Edit: I just found out that the version of the story linked by Diziet Sma is not the original 1951 novella, but a part from the extended 1962 version The Great Explosion.
Yes, I forgot to mention that.. I first came across it in an anthology of anarchist scifi stories, which I think has the original version.. the differences are fairly minor, though..
[/thread-drift]
Gimbal Locke wrote:
On topic: Great OXP, it would really be nice to see on the status screen what the cats are doing.
I'd like to see one get in your face occasionally on-screen (kind of like the Trumbles) with a demanding/curious/affectionate "Mrrowrr.."
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Downloaded! Would be interesting to see a "Pet [ships-cat-name]" as a primable equipment. Even use the new b functionality to pet each of the cats! A little "Mrowr" played when the player does that, and you could sit back and pet your cats after an intense firefight to relax!
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Massively Locked »

Rese249er wrote:
...you could sit back and pet your cats after an intense firefight to relax!
Ernst Stavro Blofeld style? :)
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Perhaps, if your reasons for engaging were less than honest.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I found Jones very handy.. he knows when there are Thargoids about, even before they're in scanner range.. starts getting all growly and hisses a lot! 8) :lol:

he's also highly atypical for a cat.. hasn't tried to lay across my keyboard once, nor poke his head in front of the screen at inconvenient moments.. :wink:
Typical for a cat to want to get in the way at inconvenient times :lol:
Diziet Sma wrote:
(one thing you may want to change, sbp.. every time the F3 screen loads, or is refreshed, a different cat appears.. makes it easy to get the cat you want, but perhaps one per Station visit is all that should be offered. (don't ask me how this is done though.. wouldn't have a clue)
I noticed this too, and I was sure someone else had also; I think the comment got lost in the discussion. There should only be one cat per visit ;).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Haha, I'd love to see this expanded some.

I crashed myself into the trumbletreats oxp because I could not get around the hardcoded bits. Such as not being able to edit their numbers.
Maybe the more modern code will allow for on-screen drawing from oxps?

I may rob you of your basic idea though . . . :D
Riding the Rocket!
BuggyBY
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BuggyBY »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I'd like to see one get in your face occasionally on-screen (kind of like the Trumbles) with a demanding/curious/affectionate "Mrrowrr.."
Rese249er wrote:
Downloaded! Would be interesting to see a "Pet [ships-cat-name]" as a primable equipment. Even use the new b functionality to pet each of the cats! A little "Mrowr" played when the player does that, and you could sit back and pet your cats after an intense firefight to relax!
Both of these get my vote, if it can be done!
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Pray tell, where can I find information on this vaunted 'b functionality' ? :)

oh. found it. I think. Is it the in the keyconfig.plist : optional OXP equipment keys mapped to n&b?

Now we'll only need to pester Ahruman about exposing the methods trumble prrrojection uses.
I dont think materials or effects will work for projecting a pet...unless we spawn a invisible flat subentity outside the Frontviewscreen facing and project the pet onto that...that seems a bit excessively indirect.

(When did Ahruman change his forumname to his given name?)
Riding the Rocket!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Pray tell, where can I find information on this vaunted 'b functionality' ? :)

oh. found it. I think. Is it the in the keyconfig.plist : optional OXP equipment keys mapped to n&b?
Well, the relevant bit is the new this.mode function in the script for the primeable equipment. This is the function that gets triggered on pressing 'b', just like the this.activated function gets triggered by pressing 'n'. It's documented in [wiki]Equipment.plist[/wiki].
Arexack_Heretic wrote:
(When did Ahruman change his forumname to his given name?)
Around the same time when he stepped down as lead feature developer. This sceptre has been handed to cim. Which probably means that you'll have to redirect your pestering as well. :wink:
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Just saw this. As I cat lover, this means the Black Widow will soon be getting a second crew member!
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Still only at 1.0 after all this time? I'd have thought someone would have discovered some interesting things to do with them (keep Trumble population down on your infested screen? Occasionally meow, or hiss during battle (as text on screen or audio? ;) )
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mossfoot wrote:
Still only at 1.0 after all this time? I'd have thought someone would have discovered some interesting things to do with them (keep Trumble population down on your infested screen? Occasionally meow, or hiss during battle (as text on screen or audio? ;) )
Trumbles cannot be messed with via javascript, for reasons that are obvious when you think about it.. the sound and visual effects, on the other hand, are a good idea, and something I think superbatprime was hoping would happen..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied