Random Assassination Contracts

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Random Assassination Contracts

Post by LittleBear »

I really like the randomly generated "take passenger X to planet Y" and "carry goods X to planet Y" feature. The new rewards for capturing / rescuring commander in their escape pods is also good.

Would it be possible using the same sort of code to create an assisinations board. (price and chance occouring increasing with rating)?

Eg: Erith Osian, a blue frog, in a Boa II needs removing from the Lave system.

------ SPOILER WARNING ------

EDIT : This thread (eventually!) lead to The Assassins Guild OXP. If you want to play the finished version, you can download it from the Wiki (or click the Assassins Guild link on my signature). If you follow the thread you will see spoilers here!
Last edited by LittleBear on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

It'd have to be done better than FE2/FFE where you knew the exact second someone was going to leave a station. Instead, you should have to find them. (This will mean you'll need ship registrations, and a whole heap of other stuff). Also, given that all stations have GalCop presence, this is likely to be the sort of thing you'll find at a rock hermit/pirate cove rather than a station.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I might have a go at doing an OXP on this.

A 10% chance when docked of being offered the hit. If accepted, then check conditions on exiting hyperspace. If in right system add the "mark" to the systems ships. True this would mean the victim is always in the system.

I reckon I could do it with like_ship. Eg:- Like_ship Cobra3, name changed to "Be Soin's Cobra MK III" and a death action to award credits and set the contact to complete.

I'd have to do it with a bit of cut and pasting in the mission descriptions, perhaps 10 hits (and ten like_ships), with the mission state advancing to hit_1, hit_2 etc.

That would give the player about 100 dockings on average before running out of jobs.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

OK, make sure that the missions are only offered to people of a good Elite ranking, maybe you get a 10% chance of being offered the hit once you are Above Average or Dangerous.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Hmm. Perhaps a first hit on an adder being offered at 50+ kills, then 10% chances of being offered a Cobra I at 200 kills and so on. That would also spin the contacts out.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It should be a lot less than a 10% chance, too.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Only planning to award perhaps 200 credits for the first hit and gentle rises until all the hits are completed. So it woudn't be a game-breaker.

The two conditions would be ANDS so u would have to reach the right number of kills for the respective hit as well as the dice comming up on the one in ten chance to be offered a hit.

If I spaced the hit-offer condition say 300 kills apart, then assuming the average player makes 10 kills between each docking, the player would have to make 30 dockings, just to call up a 1 in 10 chance of a hit being offered. So a hit would be offered on average every 40 dockings, requiring 400 dockings on average to be offered all the hits.

The OXP would also be limited to triggering only in Galaxy 7 (as I would have to script 10 planets for the victims to appear at).

Does this seem balanced?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Made a start on this OXP.

Err how do I post a screenshot?
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

upload a pic to some free file server - photobucket.com is what i use - then use the 'img' button above the box you type replies here in. paste in the URL of the image, close the tag, and you're done!
edible poet? onna stick?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

1st draft of OXP

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

If this is too small right click and save to desktop and zoom it!

I am self-employed and have tomorrow off, so I try to finish an OXP for Victim 1 tomorow. (once I get that working it is a faily simple cut & paste to make the total number of contracts offered)

As currently planed the OXP will offer u a total of ten contacts, qualifing for the next contact requires a further 300 kills and with a then only a 10% chance of being offered when docked. IE if you installed the OXP when Harmless on zero kills, at a minium you would have to make deadly with 3000 kills before all contracts had been offered and completed.

First contract is offered when you have 200 kills and are in G7.

Too many / too few?

Feedback?
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

LittleBear wrote:

Too many / too few?
Just right, but I would start it in G5. G4 has the Thargoid Wars so I reckon there needs to be a reason to stay in G5 when you get there.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

G1 to 5 already have native /OXP mission assigned, so to avoid conflict needs to be 6 7 or 8. When I get round to it, I'm writing a 6 mission OXP for G6. So has to be G7 or G8. This will also mean the player has to have got a reasonable ship before a hit is offered.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

Oh okay. I didn't realise 5 had missions in it aswell, so yup, in that case you're totally spot on with what you're doing. cool :)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

I've written my 1st Victim Ship Plist:-

<key>victim1</key>

<dict>

<key>like_ship</key>
<string>adder</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>Guild Target : Be Soin - 200C</string>
<key>has escape_pod</key>
<false/>
<key>ai_type</key>

<string>route1traderAI.plist</string>

<key>death_actions</key>

<array>

<string>set: mission_assassins STAGE1a</string>

</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Have I cocked anything obvious up?