Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Thank You for Keyboard Precision.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thank You for Keyboard Precision.

Post by CaptSolo »

I've always been a keyboard pilot. Yeah, I know, but I'm old and stuck in my ways. Just want to thank you for the keyboard precision via the Ctrl key. I'm a two handed pilot: left hand fires lasers and pitches up or down while right hand executes roll and yaw maneuvers. I find the pinky on my right hand is perfect for holding down the Cntrl key. Works good so many many thanks.
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Thank You for Keyboard Precision.

Post by vsfc »

Good to see fellow Commander who also uses a keyboard!

I do find Ctrl key real handy, but with long fights it is really sore on hands to constantly hold it. There is a keyboardCobra oxp, which alters parameters for roll and yaw, but if you are using an OXP ship you need to edit a Config to add your ship. It has instructions within. Also make sure that keyboardCobra.oxp folder is listed after your ship's OXP or it will not work. Name it something like Z- keyboardCobra.oxp. Looks like parameters are getting set and overwritten in the order of OXPs listed in the folder.

Cheers,
V-SFC
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

vsfc wrote:
Good to see fellow Commander who also uses a keyboard!

I do find Ctrl key real handy, but with long fights it is really sore on hands to constantly hold it. There is a keyboardCobra oxp, which alters parameters for roll and yaw, but if you are using an OXP ship you need to edit a Config to add your ship. It has instructions within. Also make sure that keyboardCobra.oxp folder is listed after your ship's OXP or it will not work. Name it something like Z- keyboardCobra.oxp. Looks like parameters are getting set and overwritten in the order of OXPs listed in the folder.

Cheers,
V-SFC
Not necessarily. It depends on the host OS.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

vsfc wrote:
Also make sure that keyboardCobra.oxp folder is listed after your ship's OXP or it will not work. Name it something like Z- keyboardCobra.oxp. Looks like parameters are getting set and overwritten in the order of OXPs listed in the folder.
As long as keyboardCobra.oxp is using shipdata-overrides.oxp to adjust the turn rates, it should work regardless of loading order for OXP ships.

(Of course, if you're using an OXP ship, you could just edit the turn rates inside that OXP's shipdata.plist)
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

CaptSolo wrote:
I've always been a keyboard pilot. Yeah, I know, but I'm old and stuck in my ways. Just want to thank you for the keyboard precision via the Ctrl key...
Eh? What? How have I missed this feature for keyboard pilots?

<loads up an in-progress new Jameson game and goes looking for trouble...>
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Speaking of keyboards [threadjack alert!]:

I recently replaced old laptop with new laptop. Good thing is that it is heaps more powerful. Bad thing is that the mere act of resting my hands on the front part of the keyboard somehow makes my ship turn. Mainly it rolls right, though sometimes it will be left roll or pitch/dive. Not dramatically, mind you, but enough that it affects any sort of precision manoeuvring.
It's not the mouse pad that does it either; I've turned that off so only the external one is working.

It's been ages since I fiddled around inside Oolite, and I never went particularly deep when I did. Are there some sort of threshold and/or sensitivity settings that could be tinkered with?
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

vsfc wrote:
There is a keyboardCobra oxp, which alters parameters for roll and yaw...
No thanks, I like the parameters as they are. I don't keep the Ctrl key pressed down long, just long enough to line up with target and get a few hits in. Only problem is the NPC's in my ooniverse don't sit still. They are very good and very dangerous pilots thanks to Cim's excellent [wiki]Skilled NPCs OXP[/wiki].

Solo
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CheeseRedux wrote:
I recently replaced old laptop with new laptop. Good thing is that it is heaps more powerful. Bad thing is that the mere act of resting my hands on the front part of the keyboard somehow makes my ship turn. Mainly it rolls right, though sometimes it will be left roll or pitch/dive. Not dramatically, mind you, but enough that it affects any sort of precision manoeuvring.
It's not the mouse pad that does it either; I've turned that off so only the external one is working.

It's been ages since I fiddled around inside Oolite, and I never went particularly deep when I did. Are there some sort of threshold and/or sensitivity settings that could be tinkered with?
That sounds like some kind of hardware fault, to be honest.. key presses are meant to be a strictly "on" or "off" type thing.

Does this behaviour manifest at other times, such as when using a word processor or typing a post in a forum?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Diziet Sma wrote:
That sounds like some kind of hardware fault, to be honest.. key presses are meant to be a strictly "on" or "off" type thing.

Does this behaviour manifest at other times, such as when using a word processor or typing a post in a forum?
Oh, it's definitely hardware. Of the most basic sort. The cost of making these things thinner and lighter is a loss of structural integrity (and a certain plastic-y feel). So the slight pressure of resting appendages gets interpreted as light touches on the arrow keys. I've not noticed the effect elsewhere, no, but I attribute that to the software running a "He didn't mean that, did he?" check when noticing these faint "key presses". Which is why I wondered if there was a threshold setting hidden somewhere in Oolite.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Gecko
Poor
Poor

Post by Gecko »

CaptSolo wrote:
I've always been a keyboard pilot. Yeah, I know, but I'm old and stuck in my ways. Just want to thank you for the keyboard precision via the Ctrl key. I'm a two handed pilot: left hand fires lasers and pitches up or down while right hand executes roll and yaw maneuvers. I find the pinky on my right hand is perfect for holding down the Cntrl key. Works good so many many thanks.
Yes, I am a keyboard pilot, too, and the ctrl-precision is just the thing I need.

But I wonder... how do you controll pitch with your left hand?

My right hand controlls pitch roll and yaw at the num-pad, left hand CTRL and A (and the rest of the combat controlls)
:mrgreen:
Commander: Gecko
Career: Bounty Hunter
Ship: Cobra Mark III
Galaxy: 2
Legal Status/Rating: Clean/Dangerous
The Society of Bounty Hunters rank me as a well-proven Marshall.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I can't speak for CaptSolo, but I pitch with my left hand, using S and X. I roll with my right hand, on < and >. I do not yaw, having always believed it to be at best uncouth, and at worst unnatural. :)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I do occasionly take my boat out using keyboard only*, and the precision thingy is very handy. I never use the 'yaw' function either.

*Usually when I forget to plug the 'stick in - which leads to problems, as the 'fire' key is disabled on my keyboard.
All I have then is the Railgun (which is why I still carry it at all times).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Gecko wrote:
But I wonder... how do you controll pitch with your left hand?
Stems back to playing Elite on the C64. The keyboard control functions were:
keyboard left
A = Fire
S = Pitch down
X = Pitch up

keyboard right
< = Roll left
> = Roll right

*** ninja'd by Disembondied ***

While flying and fighting I could keep a finger on all these keys.

For Oolite, I have a Config.oxp in my AddOns which contains a Config folder, copied keyconfig.plist into that, and edited the file to match my preference. For yaw I use ; and ' keys , which are near the roll keys so easily done.

I do use yaw to help port and starboard firing.
Cody

Post by Cody »

CaptSolo wrote:
I haven't used my side lasers for years - don't even use the aft laser anymore.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gecko
Poor
Poor

Post by Gecko »

CaptSolo wrote:
For Oolite, I have a Config.oxp in my AddOns which contains a Config folder, copied keyconfig.plist into that, and edited the file to match my preference. For yaw I use ; and ' keys , which are near the roll keys so easily done.
Ah well, it seems to depend on the key map... I use a german windows standard key map, but I might look into Config.Oxp this way...

And... why not using yaw? Its part of my best "get-away-manoeuvre"

I have a mining laser installed at starboard, but mining is so... dull...

:mrgreen:
Commander: Gecko
Career: Bounty Hunter
Ship: Cobra Mark III
Galaxy: 2
Legal Status/Rating: Clean/Dangerous
The Society of Bounty Hunters rank me as a well-proven Marshall.