Marooned in deep space

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cerebus
Harmless
Harmless

Marooned in deep space

Post by Cerebus »

I was waylaid by aliens (whom I defeated by getting the motherships to ram each other, which neutralized the drones) and dragged out of witchspace in interstellar space. Unfortunately, it was a long jump and apparently the fuel is deducted at the start, so I don't have sufficient fuel to make another jump.

Now what?
stevesims
Dangerous
Dangerous

Lost In Space

Post by stevesims »

Unfortunately I believe you're stuck in deep space forever and ever when this happens.

Actually there is a way out of this in the current version of Oolite - do a galactic hyperspace jump. Of course you need a galactic hyperdrive, which is a rather expensive piece of equipment. If you don't have it then your only option is to reload your commander.

I might be wrong, but using your escape pod (if you have it fitted) is *not* an option. I think it was on some versions of Elite...

In some future version of Oolite there may be another possibility or two, but not for now.

Fortunately misjumps aren't a very common occurance in Oolite. The only way to guarantee that they won't be a problem is to jump only short distances.
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Mis-jumps are also triggered by climbing fully when entering witchspace!
Team Zorg are Go!
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Re: Lost In Space

Post by aegidian »

stevesims wrote:
I might be wrong, but using your escape pod (if you have it fitted) is *not* an option. I think it was on some versions of Elite...
I think you could be right.

I shall investigate, and if so I'll implement that ASAP. :oops:

UPDATE:

AFAICT escape pods won't help.

However, I've implemented the get-you-home-quick-one-shot emergency hyperdrive (1200 cr, TL 10+) for version 1.19.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

To be fair it is one of the big dangers in this ol' universe. Personally I think that the only way around it should be the Galactic Hyperdrive (which has it's own fuel) or the one-shot fuel cell idea aegidian mentioned in the other thread when the Emergency Hyperdrive was removed.

It's like saying, if I am in the middle of a desert and I get a leak, what do I do next - simple, you die.

Actually another idea, I know this is the wrong place and I will put it in there too - is have a distress beacon you can activate, maybe a tug would come and rescue you or another ship would share fuel at a price.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The is a way out if you have Behomoth installed (assuming as they usually are there is one or two about in witchspace) and you have a docking computer. Dock with one a refuel. A bit like a caraven in the desert.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

LittleBear wrote:
The is a way out if you have Behomoth installed (assuming as they usually are there is one or two about in witchspace) and you have a docking computer. Dock with one a refuel. A bit like a caraven in the desert.
You don't need a DC to dock with a Bohemouth. Just fly into the slit and hey presto.

This doesn't work so well for us PC bods as the docking slits are rotated through 90 degress at the minute.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Confused... As there is no "up" or "down" in space what is the problem with a docking bay at 90 degrees, 90 degrees to what? Space stations spin!
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

He's referring to an error internal to Oolite which causes the docking slit to be shown rotated through 90 degrees on PC versions of the game.
Space Corps Directive #7214
To perserve morale during long-haul missions, all male officers above the rank of First Technician must, during panto season, be ready to put on a dress and a pair of false breasts.
Ironlion45
Average
Average

Post by Ironlion45 »

At first I was confused, but now I see that there was a 2-year necro bump in this thread.

Installing the behemoth.oxp gives a way out, works for me. In fact, its kind of fun to force a misjump just to fight thargoids and collect alien items.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

True, you can dock without a computer, but as the Capitain just keeps moving about it is tricky!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I find the behemoths seem to stay still after a witchspace battles. My storyline explanation is that they’re waiting for their fighters to dock, although most of them don’t bother.
cultist
Competent
Competent

Post by cultist »

dont you have fuel scoops?
I`ll either find a way or make one!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

No suns in witchspace to scoop!