Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Newbie needs help lol

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Capt. Reynolds
Competent
Competent

Re: Newbie needs help lol

Post by Capt. Reynolds »

Thargoid wrote:
Kiota's are in my Wildships OXP.

Will have a look again at laser boosters OXP and see if it needs a balance tweak.
I think maybe it does - I tried it a few months back and my military laser never made it to overheating without breaking.

Might it be a percentage issue? I presume it decides you have an x% chance of your laser breaking on any given shot. Don't the lasers work on a "machine gun" principle of however many pulses (or shots) per second, each at a given power (variable according to weapon type)? That means that at military laser rates of fire (I haven't checked, but I'm guessing 5-10 pulses per second) you have a 5x - 10x percent chance of it breaking during a one second burst, rather than just x percent.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Hi Goth47

Want to make money without spending too much money?????? :idea:
Rock Hermit Locator1.33
I noticed that you have this installed.. it says it is for 1.74 version.... don't know if it is compatible with 1.77?
Rock hermits are funny ducks... I have seen them buy narcotics for up to 102.0 Cr/ton but definitely not consistently They sell gold and platinum at rock bottom prices so no matter where you go, you will make a profit off that.
Their other products will make a decent profit so if you need inventory, they are a good place to go to.
Remember that for every asteroid that you zap, you do get a credit for it.. more if it is a really large asteroid.

Nothing so boring as zapping asteroids....
Scooping up boulders and splinters adds mineral tonnage that is "free" .
Any thing that is scoopable in space is free money also, just watch for other scavengers... they sometimes get territorial and resent interlopers.
Escape capsules. some give bounty others can give up to 500 credits for their safe return.
There are many other ways to build up cash so don't worry about limited cargo space .... fill it up and you will be getting what you want with a little patience.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Rock hermits are funny ducks... I have seen them buy narcotics for up to 102.0 Cr/ton but definitely not consistently...
<nods> This happens with furs too - if you hit the two together in a poor-agri, its sweet trade!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

I have some other recommended OXPs listed on the Oolite Wiki you might like!
Oolite is Ooheavy... Cpt says "Write on Commander"
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>
Cody

Post by Cody »

<sighs> This is the trouble with personal lists - some OXPs in that list are not really suitable for new players.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

Cody wrote:
<sighs> This is the trouble with personal lists - some OXPs in that list are not really suitable for new players.
Cody I have made specific recommendations on this thread and you are right the list is much more general one which does have a warning at the bottom. Individual recommendations can be taken on a suck it and see basis, a general pick and mix basis or just considered for later reflection as the observer chooses ::shrugs:: the free market in operation where people vote with their feet or cursors even...
Last edited by Cpt on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

OOOOOOOOOOO the shuttlecock is in cody's side... <grabbing chair, soda and popcorn in anticipation of a good exhibition)
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Cpt wrote:
Cody I have made specific recommendations on this thread and you are right the list is much more general one which does have a warning at the bottom. Individual recommendations can be taken on a suck it and see basis, a general pick and mix basis or just considered for later reflection as the observer chooses ::shrugs:: the free market in operation where people vote with their feet or cursors even...
<bewildered>What?</bewildered>
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

CaptSolo wrote:
<bewildered>What?</bewildered>
I was saying OXPs are optional you can try them one at a time (suck them and see); Grab a load that look promising (Pick and mix) or just ponder about them for now...

In summary diversity of opinion is good until totalitarianism stops it ::grin::
earl sleek
Poor
Poor

Post by earl sleek »

Choice is great, when it's an informed choice, otherwise the choice is a bit of an illusion. New players are unlikely to be able to make informed choices about which ones are likely to enhance their gameplay. I know people are just trying to be helpful when recommending OXP's, but I do feel it's often counterproductive to list a whole load in one go. It certainly confused me when I started. Once you've been playing a bit you develop a better idea of what OXPs are going to work for you.

(btw, long-time lurker, first-time poster, hi everyone!)
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

Welcome commander Earl Sleek, to the Friendliest Board this side of Riedquat TM, well said you do have to work it out for yourself...

Your thoughts on this thread might well be helpful...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day, earl sleek, and thanks for the feedback! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
earl sleek
Poor
Poor

Post by earl sleek »

Thanks for the greets guys.

Cpt, I have been following that discussion, but like other threads, when I've thought of a contribution I scroll down and someone has already said what I was going to say. It's a bit of a problem with this board - it's very friendly, but this is clearly a front for long-range telepaths who are stealing my ideas :)
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

How did I know you were going to say that
earl sleek wrote:
long-range telepaths
and for the record I dislike your idea tomorrow about the rhubarb...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

<chuckles>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.