[Solved] oxp wont load ubuntu

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Musmula
Poor
Poor

Re: oxp wont load ubuntu

Post by Musmula »

I have the newest vesion (1.77.1 or something like that, its from oolite.org) and there is no bug now cuz I have added an older version of the HUD and it is working just fine
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Musmula wrote:
I am a bit confused...
That makes two of us! :P
As far as I'm aware there is not a problem with the OXP, but I don't use NumericHUD myself so can't speak from experience. This suggests that there might be a problem with your install - again it's not unknown for these things to go wrong for no obvious reason. I know it's a bit of a PITA, but it might be worth starting over and re-installing Oolite itself. This has certainly worked for previous issues people have had.
Just another thought, what version of Oolite are you using? Current version is 1.77.1, but some of the distros are still listing old versions and it might be this is the problem. Go to oolite.org download page and grab the latest version, 1.77.1 (not the 'stable' v1.76.1) and re-install it. Find the AddOns folder as before, then add in the .oxp folders you want to use.

Ah, not that then. Sounds like an issue with the OXP which might be worth mentioning on that OXP's thread.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Musmula wrote:
I am a bit confused...
That makes two of us! :P
That makes 3 of us.. I've been using NumericHUD v3 since it was released, with no problems..

But I must admit, I haven't fired 1.77.1 up, yet.. one sec.

Oh CRUD. :shock:

Guys? I think we have a wee problem here. I just now went into my Oolite folder, ran the oolite-update script to upgrade to 1.77.1, started the game, and now NONE of my OXPs register!

Looking at the log, it seems Oolite is checking ~/.Oolite/AddOns, but is no longer looking in ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns at all.
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Summon the Penguinista Emergency Response Team!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

:lol:

Ok.. part of the problem solved.. (and that part of my freakout deleted from the above post) I got caught out by my own snazzy scripted method for quickly swapping to a set of test-OXPs.. but I'm a little irritated that the change in AddOns locations wasn't mentioned in the update announcement..

Ok.. I can report that NumericHUD v3 is working on 1.77.1 with no garbled text here.. so whatever the problem is, it's not the OXP itself.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

<Auch>.
Could anyone with the right powers move this to the Oolite-Linux forum.
This seems to be a core game problem and not an OXP problem.
I don't think this change in behaviour is intentional.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Moved to Oolite-Linux. Getafix will most likely be around soon to help.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks, Gimi & a_c.. I was about to report the problem here.. and you've saved me the trouble..
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hmmm, certainly no problem here (as far as I can tell) but then I use the system-wide install. At least I can confirm the lack of an issue with system-wide.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

For the time being, I've made a link in ~/.Oolite/ pointing to ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns. That at least lets everything work properly.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

I tried in virtual machine Mint 10 Julia 64bit and it works
either from "~/.Oolite/AddOns" or from "~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns" . :?
Please note that I tested only with NumericHUDv3.11.oxp and without other OXPs installed (if that makes any change).

Now testing with combination (i.e. having various oxps in both "~/.Oolite/AddOns" and "~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns").

With NumericHUD in ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns and
Distant Suns and amiga replacement sounds in ~/.Oolite/AddOns

Code: Select all

getafix@Oedipus ~ $ ls -l .Oolite/AddOns/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 11 getafix getafix 4096 2013-10-07 22:24 Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp
drwxr-xr-x  4 getafix getafix 4096 2006-03-20 11:49 e5amigasoundpack.oxp
getafix@Oedipus ~ $ ls -l GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 5 getafix getafix 4096 2013-09-02 19:45 NumericHUDv3.11.oxp
getafix@Oedipus ~ $ 
The ~/.Oolite/Logs/Latest.log shows

22:31:00.555 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
    ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources
    AddOns
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns
    AddOns/NumericHUDv3.11.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/e5amigasoundpack.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp/Distant Suns of Chart 3 version 0.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp/Distant Suns of Chart 2 version 0.2.1.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp/Distant Suns of Chart 6 version 0.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp/Distant Suns of Chart 8 version 0.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp/Distant Suns of Chart 5 version 0.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp/Distant Suns of Chart 4 version 0.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp/Distant Suns of Chart 1 version 0.7.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Distant Suns 0.5.1.oxp/Distant Suns of Chart 7 version 0.2.oxp
and I see the hud from the oxp and listening to the amiga sounds.

It's hard to troubleshoot all cases in the linear way of bb so I will build an Ubuntu 13.04 virtual machine and try from there.

Well I just tried the same case in Ubuntu 13.04 64bit and had no problem. Let's approach it in a different way... :wink:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Let's start digging...

1. Are you executing oolite from a terminal or from a linux menu?

2. Which oolite is actually executed? (execute the following in a terminal)

$ which oolite
3. How many files named oolite are there? (execute the following in a terminal)

$ cd /
$ find . -name oolite -print 2> /dev/null
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Since we've managed to end up with two separate issues in the one thread here, I'll describe mine in more detail for you, Getafix..

Almost immediately after release, I installed Oolite 1.77 to my home folder on Mint 13. All has been working well for many months. Last night I ran the oolite-update script to upgrade to 1.77.1 and upon subsequently launching the game, Oolite no longer detects ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns but only looks in ~/.Oolite/AddOns for OXPs. Putting a symlink in ~/.Oolite/ pointing at ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns restores normal functionality.

My guess is that the executable downloaded by the script was compiled in such a way that it assumes a system-wide install.

As Gimi mentions, this doesn't seem like intentional behaviour, and is likely to bork a lot of pre-existing installations of Oolite.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Diziet Sma wrote:
...My guess is that the executable downloaded by the script was compiled in such a way that it assumes a system-wide install...
Oolite 1.77.1 was compiled as it is compiled every night (when there is something new to compile).
I suspect that something went wrong while updating the rsync.alioth.net server to 1.77.1.

EDIT: Please, answer my queries from my previous post. (I have an idea, but in order to proceed with it, I need to have this info)

Please, post the contents of the ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/release.txt file.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Getafix wrote:
I suspect that something went wrong while updating the rsync.alioth.net server to 1.77.1.
I simulated an update from 1.77 using oolite-update and I still cannot reproduce the case.
The issue is not the rsync server. :(

@Diziet Sma
Please, post your feedback on the three bullets posted here.