David Braben @ 2011 Game Developers Conference

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

David Braben @ 2011 Game Developers Conference

Post by Diziet Sma »

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I just came across it, and found it fascinating.

This is David Braben giving a one hour "Classic Game Postmortem" presentation about the development of Elite. The early parts give more than the usual insight into the thought processes behind the development of Elite. After that, it gets more technical, but is still for the most part follow-able, even for non-programmers. Again, the explanations of how various problems were solved are more in-depth than those we get in most interviews and documentaries..

There is some noise from chair-dragging during the introductory remarks, but after that, the sound quality is fairly good. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.. :D

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014628/Cl ... Postmortem

(the talk is divided into chapters, so if the connection drops out -happened to me a couple of times- it is not hard to reload the page and then jump to the part you were up to before)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben @ 2011 Game Developers Conference

Post by JazHaz »

This is his recent talk at the TEDx Albertpolis conference at the Royal Albert Hall. Equally fascinating!

Rules can be beautiful - YouTube
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Awesome, thanks for the links guys - those planet renders in the TED talk look really great
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
This is his recent talk at the TEDx Albertpolis conference at the Royal Albert Hall. Equally fascinating!
Albeit disappointingly short..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Actually, most Ted talks are a lot shorter than this one. Only the very rare talks are in the region of 20+ minutes.
Gouanaco
Competent
Competent

Post by Gouanaco »

This looks cool :D My net is blocking the feed of the video but in a few hours it unlocks and i should be able to watch it :D
Commander: Gouanaco
Ship: { Cobra Mark III }
Galaxy: [1]
Legal Status: Clean
Rating: Average (63)
Career: Trader/Bounty Hunter
Cash: 12 956.4@ (credits)