Sci-fi ship size comparison chart

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Sci-fi ship size comparison chart

Post by Thargoid »

This ended up in my inbox courtesy of Popular Science, and I though it may be interesting for you lot. It's a comparison chart of ship sizes for a whole lot of different sci-fi shows and movies.

It's by Dirk Loechel on Deviant Art.

Quite a nice infographic (but quite large, hence why I didn't reproduce the image itself here), and maybe also a little inspirational for ship designers around here. Has EVE online in it, but not Elite (that I can easily see anyway).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Sci-fi ship size comparison chart

Post by JazHaz »

Yeah this was up on the E: D forum yesterday. I think we've seen it before on here too, in a previous version. This is version 3.

Still good though.

From the E: D forum:
Andrew Hill wrote:
Awesome chart - thanks for pointing that out! :cool:

The chart puts the new (E: D) Federal Battle cruiser on a level pegging with the Romulan Mining Vessel (from the first of the two recent reboots) @ 2km...
Last edited by JazHaz on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I loved this in its earlier incarnations - it's nice that he's keeping it up to date.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Near the top right is the Mass Effect Citadel Council SA Alliance Carrier at 750 metres long. It’s a good proxy for the Behemoth. If you can find it (between the lower two Super Star Destroyers), the Star Wars Corellian Corvette is slightly shorter than an Aanconda.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

He seems keen on receiving suitably appropriate side on hi-res screen shots of appropriate ships so perhaps he could be sent some for E(Oo)lite? Probably just ships though, since our space stations aren't actually big enough... (they look OK in game obviously) but I try not to think about what's supposed to be inside them when I come into dock...
Selezen wrote:
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
He seems keen on receiving suitably appropriate side on hi-res screen shots of appropriate ships so perhaps he could be sent some for E(Oo)lite? Probably just ships though, since our space stations aren't actually big enough... (they look OK in game obviously) but I try not to think about what's supposed to be inside them when I come into dock...
They're bigger than they look.

Actually, with the right comparator, they look quite big too.
Imagevs 125 Cobra IIIs
Imagevs 125 Adders

If we assume they mostly contain small ships - shuttles, Mambas, Sidewinders, etc. - with relatively few, perhaps thirty or so, of the big ones like Cobra IIIs, Pythons, etc. there's easily room for a couple of hundred ships to dock there with plenty of room left over for living quarters and other facilities. If it was completely filled with floors to a basic 2m height, it would have the floor space of Somerset, though perhaps only half of that would be at a reasonable gravity level. The docking bay would be a fairly compact arrangement - I'm thinking a narrow tunnel with clamps and gates at intervals to shift ships on rails into launch position; nothing like the light and open docking spaces of E:D - but there's almost a cubic kilometre of space to play with here...

They don't look big in-game, because the ships are so fast, their spin rate (without OXPs) is too high, and they don't have the surface detail you'd intuitively expect over a few square kilometres of surface.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nice comparison, nice screen shots and nice explanation. And you're right, it's a surface detailing issue that means they don't look/feel as big as they are - Griff's stations help a lot, it's lighting I think that when you get up close just don't give you that sense of scale...
Selezen wrote:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Closest match for the Coriolis: it’s a little smaller than the Borg Tactical Sphere.

Edit: Oh, and to continue the Marathon theme, the UESC Marathon is as long as the dark grey Titan in centre-top, but wider. This is quite large, but it should be noted that the Marathon is a converted moon.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Tricky wrote:
Indeed, an excellent site, and the different scale pages means you can at least see everything!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

I would have expected the "Laviathan" from farscape to be a bigger ship. Pretty neat article though - thanks for sharing Thargoid 8) .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
darklyte
Average
Average

Post by darklyte »

Very impressive.

I suspect the page wasn't big enough for V'ger then :) and then found it on Jeff's page.

Now there's a thing. V'ger vs the Death star. Hmmmm...
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Tricky wrote:
Nice one!

Interesting that the sublight jack-of-all-trades Eagle transport from "Space: 1999" is larger than the United Plant Starcruiser from "Forbidden Planet"... :-)
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

This chart is amazing!
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."