BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Scoria
Above Average
Above Average

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Scoria »

Way ahead of you. Went and started with the shift-key held down (didn't hold much hope as I did this after installing all the OXPs) and it printed the exact same log. No I don't have it installed twice. I do have a copy on a external HDD but when I checked the log for it, it was relevant to that copy and it's OXPs. Hmmm curious :? Is it possibly saving the latest.log somewhere else?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Just to be sure, the path is: ~\Oolite\oolite.app\Logs\Latest.log - it shouldn't be anywhere else.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Scoria
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoria »

Yeah. I understood the first time.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Scoria wrote:
Way ahead of you. Went and started with the shift-key held down (didn't hold much hope as I did this after installing all the OXPs) and it printed the exact same log. No I don't have it installed twice. I do have a copy on a external HDD but when I checked the log for it, it was relevant to that copy and it's OXPs. Hmmm curious :? Is it possibly saving the latest.log somewhere else?
Something is wrong with your installation. The first ever startup log cannot be produced twice, because after the first run the cache and the .GNUstepDefaults file are created and a different set of messages is generated (unless of course you manually delete both the cache and .GNUstepDefaults before launching the game). I see you are running Windows Vista. Can you provide the exact path where Oolite is installed? I suspect a file virtualization problem.
Scoria
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoria »

another_commander wrote:
Scoria wrote:
Something is wrong with your installation. The first ever startup log cannot be produced twice, because after the first run the cache and the .GNUstepDefaults file are created and a different set of messages is generated (unless of course you manually delete both the cache and .GNUstepDefaults before launching the game). I see you are running Windows Vista. Can you provide the exact path where Oolite is installed? I suspect a file virtualization problem.
It's in C:\Program Files\Oolite. Define "file virtulization problem." I've actually been having problems with Vista ever since I screwed up a dual-boot of Xubuntu and had to do multiple hard shutdowns. Possibly corrupted something on the windows partition. Might pay to reformat it as I've been planning to do since the dual-boot incident.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Scoria wrote:
It's in C:\Program Files\Oolite.
Far better if it was installed to C:\Oolite - installing Oolite in Program Files often causes problems. Try uninstalling and deleting Oolite, then re-installing.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Scoria wrote:
It's in C:\Program Files\Oolite. Define "file virtulization problem." I've actually been having problems with Vista ever since I screwed up a dual-boot of Xubuntu and had to do multiple hard shutdowns. Possibly corrupted something on the windows partition. Might pay to reformat it as I've been planning to do since the dual-boot incident.
Since Vista UAC virtualization services redirects access to files in specific protected folders like \Program Files to user space, e.g. \Users\Myname\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramFiles\... It may happen (and as we can see it happens) that users and (legacy) applications are getting confused by these redirects. Indexing for this folder is off by default so users won't find the files in this folder by using the search functionality.

What does it mean? If you change e.g. shipdata.plist it won't get saved to the place you have specified. It gets saved into the VirtualStore folder. The original file is not updated and out of sync!

The easiest solution is the one Cody has pointed out. Install Oolite in a folder which is not virtualized.
Scoria
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoria »

You appear to be right. Before I reformatted last time I had stopped vista from doing this somehow. I cannot for the life of me remember how so I was wondering if you knew the fix?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Run MSCONFIG?

Edit to add: no, it must be easier than that - from Control Panel perhaps?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Scoria wrote:
Haha I'm not an idiot I know how to use the code tags. :wink:
Sorry, no offense intended. It's pretty much a standard request to anyone who's asked to post a log for the first time. Also, I had already posted when I saw that you had already used the tags before.

And whatever went wrong with your installation, here's another reason why this log can't be from your latest game: it's two days old:
Scoria wrote:

Code: Select all

Opening log for Oolite version 1.77 (x86-32) under Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 32-bit at 2013-09-25 02:59:28 +1200.
…
Closing log at 2013-09-25 02:59:53 +1200.
(note the date stamp; today is September 27th)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Scoria wrote:
Haha I'm not an idiot I know how to use the code tags.
Comment Moderated, because we are the friendliest board this side of Riedquat
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Back to the problem then. The hermit shipdata.plist file, which one have you edited? The one in Griffs' shipset? Or one from somewhere else?
Scoria
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoria »

So I uninstalled Oolite and reinstalled to C:\Oolite. Ran it for the first time and then closed it and edited the Rock Hermits shipdata from the C:\Oolite\oolite.app\Resources\Config folder. Reloaded the game and tried the Hermit in (Spoiler Alert) Tionisla. No luck. :? I double checked that I had done everything right and that it wasn't saving to the VirtualStore folder. So where exactly did I go wrong?

Honestly guys if it's too much trouble helping me (as I know I'm not exactly uber computer literate) don't worry about it.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Just to double-check the obvious.. you did shift-start after making the edit, yes?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Scoria wrote:
Honestly guys if it's too much trouble helping me (as I know I'm not exactly uber computer literate) don't worry about it.
No problem, we really like to help (a little grumpiness every now and then notwithstanding; you may feel included in JazHaz's general apology here).

Could you post latest.log again? This time it hopefully should include some hints. Check the timestamp in order to make sure that it's indeed the most recent one.

(On a Mac logging works in a way that 'latest.log' is always the one of your most recent (or current) game. The one before gets renamed to 'previous.log', overwriting—and deleting forever—the one from the second-to-last session. So latest.log should always be up to date. I have no reason to believe that this is different for Windows; although it could of course be.)