1.74: Oolite Screen Shots

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

1.74: Oolite Screen Shots

Post by Commander McLane »

I am a little confused about the new Oolite Screen Shots folder (Mac). Until now screenshots were saved in the main Oolite folder, which used to be fine with me.

Oolite 1.74 creates a folder "Oolite Screen Shots" on my desktop, which is not necessarily the best place for that, IMO. But it gets worse: If I move that folder into my main Oolite folder and take another screenshot (after restarting the game), another "Oolite Screen Shots" folder is created on the desktop again.

I plead for Oolite remembering the folder's location and keeping in use one folder only at a time. Thank you! :D
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: 1.74: Oolite Screen Shots

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
Oolite 1.74 creates a folder "Oolite Screen Shots" on my desktop, which is not necessarily the best place for that, IMO.
The desktop is the system-standard place for screen shots. Putting them in a folder is an enhancement.

But yes, following that folder around is entirely feasible.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ahruman wrote:
But yes, following that folder around is entirely feasible.
Fine. :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I hadn't taken screen shots for quite some time. Thus I notice only now that the "following around" (which worked in 1.75-1.76) is broken again in 1.77. Whenever I move the "Oolite Screen Shots" folder away from my desktop, another one is created for the next screen shot.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Whoops! The mac version seems to be getting particularly buggy compared to other O/Ses.

On Windows, the screen shots directory is in the Oolite Saved Games directory... Convenient and tidy.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Screenshots mixed with saved games, does not sound tidy to me. :? I like to put my screenshots in my pictures folder.

Maybe editing the oolite preference file on the mac might help. it is in the library under 'preferences' with name: "org.aegidian.oolite.plist". With a plist editor you can open it. (This file is not readable with an text editor).

This plist shows with me: "snapshots-directory-reference" -> "url" -> "file://localhost/Users/ericwalch/Desktop/Oolite%20Screen%20Shots". Strange thing though, is that my "Oolite Screen Shots" folder is in my "pictures" folder and Oolite 1.77.1 correctly saves the screenshots there. Also from within Oolite, the screenshots menu item, opens the correct folder. However, I see no link to that folder in the preferences.

That is with OSX 10.6. This might be different with the newer OSX 10.7 or 10.8
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I'm also with OS X 10.6.8.

And the preference plist shows to me:

Code: Select all

snapshots-directory-name -> Oolite Bildschirmfotos
snapshots-directory-reference -> url -> file://localhost/Users/.../Desktop/Oolite%20Bildschirmfotos
The strange thing is that the actual folder created is not localized. It's named "Oolite Screen Shots".

And the folder "Oolite Screen Shots" that sits inside my main Oolite folder in "Applications", and was used until 1.76.1, is no longer recognized. And the "Oolite Screen Shots" menu item is blanked out.

EDIT: I have now manually edited to

snapshots-directory-name -> Oolite Screen Shot
snapshots-directory-reference -> url -> /Applications/Spiele/Oolite-1.77-test/Oolite%20Screen%20Shots
Result: The menu item is still blanked out. A new screen shot gets saved in a folder "Oolite Bildschirmfotos" (oddly enough, now it is localized) on my desk top. And when I reopen the preferences, they again read:

snapshots-directory-name -> Oolite Bildschirmfotos
snapshots-directory-reference -> url -> file://localhost/Users/.../Desktop/Oolite%20Bildschirmfotos
Only the directory reference has now got an additional "alias" and "bookmark" entry.

EDIT 2: I have now moved that latest "Oolite Bildschirmfotos" folder into my main Oolite folder where I want to have it. Then I have moved all old screen shots from the "Oolite Screen Shots" folder that already existed there into the new folder, and deleted the old folder.

Now the new folder is used for new screen shots, and also the menu item recognizes it. Problem solved. But it's still odd. I shouldn't have to do all that.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

The option to move the screenshot folder around on the same volume was added by Ahruman on 15 July 2010 by adding the file "JAPersistentFileReference.m" with the comment:

[Mac] screen shots directory can now be moved around (on the same volume). If it is renamed, Oolite deliberately ignores it and creates a new one on the desktop.
Looks like there goes something wrong because of the localisation, making Oolite thinking the name was changed and it creates a new folder on the desktop. Having the English name, despite the localisation is a sign that there is a bug somewhere in the code. My manually fiddling with the preferences, things started to fall in their place. :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Eric Walch wrote:
Screenshots mixed with saved games, does not sound tidy to me. :?
Not exactly "mixed".. how is having a folder in another folder "untidy"?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied