Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Converting Questions

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hamish
Average
Average

Converting Questions

Post by Hamish »

I've installed Python33, dled the converterfiles. and get a syntax error when follow the intructions I found here on the forum. :?
please help?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Converting Questions

Post by Gimi »

Hamish wrote:
I've installed Python33, dled the converterfiles. and get a syntax error when follow the intructions I found here on the forum. :?
please help?
Unless I'm very much mistaken, those converters require Python 2.X (2.7.5 being the latest version). Python 3.X is not backwards compatible with Python 2.X.

Edit: They require Python 2.6+ according to the [EliteWiki] Wiki.
Edit 2: Seems the Wiki is a little out of date. Up to date information here on the forum. Python version required is 2.7+.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Gimi wrote:
Edit 2: Seems the Wiki is a little out of date. Up to date information here on the forum. Python version required is 2.7+.
Yes, Jens pointed that out yesterday.

I would update the wiki myself but as I'm not a modeller I have no experience with using the converters. I think it would be better for someone else to update it.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

JazHaz wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Yes, Jens pointed that out yesterday.

I would update the wiki myself but as I'm not a modeller I have no experience with using the converters. I think it would be better for someone else to update it.
Yes, I found his post after I answered the question, hence the edit.
Like you, I have no experience using these tools, so I don't feel comfortable updating the Wiki page.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Hamish
Average
Average

Post by Hamish »

I've installed python v2.75 still getting the syntax error message.

I've put te converter library in the python2.7 root. and the .dat file too

help please??
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I normally put the script and the dat file in a suitable directory, then from a DOS prompt (if you're on Windows - note not a Python terminal prompt) type dat2obj.py <yourdatfilename.dat>. If you're using a different variant of the script (or if you've renamed it) then change to suite, and replace the bit in <> with your dat filename, including the .dat.

Python should have added itself to your system path, but if you're not sure type path in a DOS prompt and check.

If you're on Linux it's similar iirc, but replace the DOS prompt with a suitable terminal shell.

If you're on a Mac then someone else will have to assist ;)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

<wonders, (not for the first time) if it isn't time the scripts were updated for Python3.x>
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied