Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What if...? (knowing the rules)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: What if...? (knowing the rules)

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Thank you for your input but I must disagree....
The energy bomb is not a total destruction weapon that you want us to think it is.. I have seen many ships survive its effects. With a quirium mine it is TOTAL destruction unless you are far enough away to escape and you do not get the benefits of kill count, cargo scoop and bounty collection. a pilot who uses a quirium in my book has less moral fiber than I do in using a qbomb.

The scanner and it's companion , the planner, I believe not to be cheats...They were made as an oxp and they are still available as an oxp. I have not tried your oxp so I can not and will not comment on it, you feel that your oxp is more acceptable than the scanner or the planner... so be it.
In one of the OOlite sagas, there is a comment that the Navy has scanners that reach out beyond the range of civilian scanners. Who says that one cannot get that capability through other means. After all I pilot an exmilitary Vortex, use exmilitary shields, use military grade lasers so why not military grade scanners?
Do I feel like I am cheating??? Certainly Not. I am a bounty hunter who stacks the odds in his favor.
Lastly, Killit oxp , like the worm, is a study in wayyyyy over the top speculation. I do not use either of them at all.
So inconclusation, am I a cheater? No, not at all, I just use what I am presented with and let the chips fall.
By the way, even with all the military equipment, I still get battered and bruised when going up against Thargoids or Behemoths :D
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<chortles merrily> Everyone has their own ideas about which OXPs are acceptable, and everyone develops their own RoE (even if it entails using WMDs).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Ain't that the truth?
Also shows who comes from warrior stock.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
The energy bomb is not a total destruction weapon
I forgot this so the bomb can fit into the same class with the Q-mine and in this case it was a wrong example to demonstrate that one addon can be stronger than other, sorry.

I tried to say that you should not install any OXP but check and decide which fit into your self-control. You already did it when refused Killit. ;)

If you are comfortable with LRS then use it, I do not want to deny, it is your decision.

I targeted my suggestion originally to iperich who is less Ironed, I think a relatively new player should be use [wiki]Telescope[/wiki] instead of LRS.

There are no "suggested using of OXPs flowsheet" which can help to the new players right after decided to leave strict play so a few more tips can be helpful to avoid drastical gameplay changes, especially in cases where "lighter" OXP exists also,
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Cody wrote:
<chortles merrily> Everyone has their own ideas about which OXPs are acceptable, and everyone develops their own RoE (even if it entails using WMDs).
Indeed! I believe OXP selection and how you play depends on how you personally believe the Ooniverse operates, your in-game sense of morality, what you think is aesthetically pleasing, and, ultimately, just how much fun you end up having!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Cody wrote:
Or even merge the two and develop your own OXPs...
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Norby,
you just had a flash of Genius: "There are no "suggested using of OXPs flowsheet" which can help to the new players ".
Why can't someone develop a flow sheet for new users... a path for "eye candy", a path for "immersion type people, a path for those who take to trading, bounty, mining, etc. Then have it stickied so all have access to it. Nothing set in stone but a general path that can be taken as a guide until one becomes self sufficient enough to fly solo.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thargoid wrote:
<dreams of cookies> Mind you, those that succumb to the darkside usually end-up rarely, if ever, actually playing the game.
The game-within-the-game takes over - and eventually consumes them!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

"Mind you, those that succumb to the darkside usually end-up rarely, if ever, actually playing the game.
The game-within-the-game takes over - and eventually consumes them!"

There will always be the part of playing the game.. trading, 1-1 jousts with the green gecko or survivors of an ambush, escaping a really ticked off group of vipers that are out for revenge. It is not all about mass gore, destruction and kill counts.

<mind melding : make those chocolate chip dream cookies>
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Indeed! I believe OXP selection and how you play depends on how you personally believe the Ooniverse operates, your in-game sense of morality, what you think is aesthetically pleasing, and, ultimately, just how much fun you end up having!
Still - it's rarely useful to expose everything to the player (sometimes even nonsensical) and often kills story driven OXPs. But this is - probably - already covered with 'aesthetically pleasing' .-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
... make those chocolate chip dream cookies
Only the very best cookies for the darkside:

Svengali wrote:
... it's rarely useful to expose everything to the player (sometimes even nonsensical) and often kills story driven OXPs.
<nods sagely>
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Why can't someone develop a flow sheet for new users
I mean unfortunately currently not exists but should be made. Your idea about the paths is a good first step, if more player specify suggestions in replies then I can put together into a wiki page.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Svengali wrote:
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Still - it's rarely useful to expose everything to the player (sometimes even nonsensical) and often kills story driven OXPs. But this is - probably - already covered with 'aesthetically pleasing' .-)
Hah! Yep, and also under 'how the Ooniverse operates' - what sort of technologies I believe should be/are available, and judging the balance of the OXPs I put in. But then, I'm now an old-timer who's been around the eight, so I'm knowledgable and capable of understanding what I'm choosing to put in, and also am for my current play-through avoiding story-based OXPs, having already played through most of them!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Svengali wrote: "Still - it's rarely useful to expose everything to the player (sometimes even nonsensical) and often kills story driven OXPs."
Right on... Even if equipped with everything but the beer cooler, why spoil the storyline by going outside the parameters? that is truly a darkside mentality. As darkside as I can be, that is a big No No for me.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Cody wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
<dreams of cookies> Mind you, those that succumb to the darkside usually end-up rarely, if ever, actually playing the game.
The game-within-the-game takes over - and eventually consumes them!
Ah yes, the Dark Side of Oolite. Is dark to be connoted as a bad thing? What sort of Oolite would we have without all the terrific Dark-Side community productions? Still, the dark side will tempt.