Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Can It Be Done?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

J.L.D.
Poor
Poor

Can It Be Done?

Post by J.L.D. »

Recently, my Hull was damaged beyond what I could pay. I got a rupture in my witchspace fuel tank. so I got the Idea that instead of simply doing some grunt work to earn cash out of the Lave orbit, that it'd be smart to head for My destination just with hyper Jump. Now, I'm in the middle of deep space with nothing in sight.
My question now is this: is it even possible to reach from one planet to another without witchspace or have I just caused a huge amount of trouble for myself?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Can It Be Done?

Post by Cody »

Hi J.L.D. and welcome aboard.
J.L.D. wrote:
... is it even possible to reach from one planet to another without witchspace...
No... you've gotta go via witchspace.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
J.L.D.
Poor
Poor

Post by J.L.D. »

What lies further out there? I just came across a dead planet. It appears to be far larger than Lave or any planet I've visited. are there alot of these things?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

J.L.D. wrote:
What lies further out there? I just came across a dead planet. It appears to be far larger than Lave or any planet I've visited. are there alot of these things?
That'll probably depend on what OXPs you have installed ... I don't think, in the basic game, that there's anything out there except some floating-point errors.
metatheurgist
Competent
Competent

Post by metatheurgist »

It's not possible to travel without witchspace, but you don't have to use your engine to do it. You can hitchhike by flying through someone else's wormhole. 'course if you want to know where you're headed you'll need to buy a wormhole scanner.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

J.L.D. wrote:
I got the Idea that instead of simply doing some grunt work to earn cash out of the Lave orbit, that it'd be smart to head for My destination just with hyper Jump. Now, I'm in the middle of deep space with nothing in sight.
How did you decide on the correct direction? Pick a star at random to aim for and just hope it wasn't more than 7LY away?

Welcome to the forum, by the way! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
J.L.D.
Poor
Poor

Post by J.L.D. »

Diziet Sma wrote:
How did you decide on the correct direction?
with the fuel stores I had left (leaking at the time), I had the system set me up towards Ra. once my ship was directed at it, I deactivated witch-drive so that I wouldn't strand myself with some Thargoids. I did end up using another ship's wormhole, hitched a ride to Leesti, took out a loan with the Black Monks, and upgraded my ship completely. guess I'll have to start paying off those debts.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Playing Elite I often jumped away from the planet, which would get progressively smaller and smaller in the aft view. But one could only travel so far and... Oho... you were back where you started. The game's frame rate improved remarkably the further you got from the planet and sun.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

J.L.D. wrote:
I just came across a dead planet.
What planet adding OXPs do you have?
J.L.D.
Poor
Poor

Post by J.L.D. »

I have a moon adding OXP but I'm not aware of any planet adding OXPs on my system.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

I always thought (even when playing the original Elite) that it should be possible . .