Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Which witch?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Which witch?

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

This is bugging me, sorry.

Which is canon: 'witchspace' (and 'witchfuel', etc.) or 'witch space' (etc.)?

Thank you...
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Which witch?

Post by Cody »

I always use 'witchspace' (as does Oolite), but I think the original manual has it hyphenated thus: Witch-Space.
Last edited by Cody on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Argh! No! Not a hyphen!

Wars have been fought over less.
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Cody

Post by Cody »

Mad Dan Eccles wrote:
Argh! No! Not a hyphen!

Wars have been fought over less.
Yes... the dreaded, under-employed hyphen.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Oxford University Press blog wrote:
As modern English has evolved, some compounds have stayed “open” as two words separated by a space (snow tire, fire hose, water cooler), while many others have become “closed” with no intervening space or hyphen (snowman, fireplace, watermelon). The hyphenated version is very often a way-station (way station? waystation?) between an open compound and a closed compound, as the form becomes more entrenched in written usage (hand writing becomes hand-writing becomes handwriting). But very often there’s variation among open, closed, and hyphenated possibilities. Is it ice cap or icecap? Show-stopper or showstopper? Different dictionaries will give different advice. What the Shorter editors found, with assistance from the Oxford English Corpus, is that there’s an increasing tendency to choose an open or closed form over a hyphenated form. Fig leaf, hobby horse, and water bed stay open, while chickpea, crybaby, and logjam stay closed.

Some compounds are in no danger of losing their hyphens. It’s hard to imagine the standard spelling of mother-in-law changing to mother in law or even more strangely motherinlaw (though there are no doubt some people somewhere who choose to spell it that way). And we seem to like using hyphens to set off certain prefixes like all-, ex-, quasi-, and self-, as in all-encompassing, ex-wife, quasi-legal, and self-esteem. Moreover, when it comes to prefixes, the hyphen is favored when the root word is capitalized (anti-American, pre-Christian) or when two vowels need to be separated (anti-intellectual, pre-eminent). But with prefixes too, there are no straightforward guidelines for when to hyphenate, and some hyphens simply fade over time as a word becomes more common. Yesterday’s post-modern is today’s postmodern.
So I think there's absolutely no problem with witchspace, witchfuel, witchdrive etc., or with their hyphenated forms. Just don't let automatic hyphenation produce something like "witchs-pace" at a line break!