[RELEASE] Curse of the Black Sunspot (1.77 only)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [RELEASE] Curse of the Black Sunspot (1.77 only)

Post by cim »

You don't have to, though safely retrieving the transmitter can be enough of a challenge without them shooting at you. The last thing you need at this stage is one of them scoring a lucky hit on your scoops as you're heading in.
Commander Tricky
Competent
Competent
Location: Winchester, Hampshire (Rich Agricultural, Theocracy)

Post by Commander Tricky »

I wasn't having much luck (first time in my fuel scoops were damaged before I got within range of the asteroid) and second time the Asps got me.

Thinking I was being clever I invested in a Quirum Cascade Mine and dropped it on a flypast. I figured things may have gone awry when the transmitter could no longer be detected (asteroid et al was destroyed), although those pesky Asps seem to have escaped.

My question is: I no longer have an asteroid/scanner to recover. With he scanner gone, does that mean that my ship is now OK or does it mean I have permanently stuffed it with no hope of redemption any longer?
Now flying a Boa Class Cruiser

Fat bottomed girls, You make the rockin' world go round!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Commander Tricky wrote:
My question is: I no longer have an asteroid/scanner to recover. With he scanner gone, does that mean that my ship is now OK or does it mean I have permanently stuffed it with no hope of redemption any longer?
It's not okay yet, but it is fixable: the transmitter isn't necessary for a high-tech shipyard to repair your ship. (It is necessary for them to repair your ship cheaply - hopefully you've got some spare cash)
Commander Tricky
Competent
Competent
Location: Winchester, Hampshire (Rich Agricultural, Theocracy)

Post by Commander Tricky »

I went back to an earlier saved game and adjusted my tactics - using ECM hard noses to scare off the Asps and using accurate fire to take out the plasma turrets allowed me to scoop the transmitter.

I must say I thought this mission was superb - easily the most cleverly crafted and challenging one I have done so far. Thanks very much!
Now flying a Boa Class Cruiser

Fat bottomed girls, You make the rockin' world go round!
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

Hi Everyone,

I almost gave up. Where do you find that asteroid with Asp defenders? I figured it should be somewhere between planet and Sun. Been circling near the Sun for ages and killed lots of pirates and been to Jaguar company base, but no sign of that asteroid with transmitter. Any spoilers? :oops:

Cheers,
VSFC
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

vsfc wrote:
I almost gave up. Where do you find that asteroid with Asp defenders? I figured it should be somewhere between planet and Sun. Been circling near the Sun for ages and killed lots of pirates and been to Jaguar company base, but no sign of that asteroid with transmitter. Any spoilers? :oops:
Frr gung fhafcbg? Vg'f n uvag gb gur ybpngvba bs gur nfgrebvq.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

If you stay in continuous flight in the system for long enough, and your ASC remains undamaged, then you will eventually get a beacon to it there. There is an easier way to find it, though.
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

Thanks Dizzy and sim. In the first I do not see the sunspot. I do not know if this is visible only when transmitter / virus is active. (My card supports shading)
At the moment I am flying the second day after system reset. And yeh I was not flying long enough yet without docking. Will try that to get a beacon.
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

In the log I get the following:

oolite.oxp.cim.cotbs.oxz/Scripts/cotbs-main.js does not "use strict"
oolite.oxp.cim.cotbs.oxz/Scripts/cotbs-conditions.js does not "use strict";
oolite.oxp.cim.cotbs.oxz/Scripts/cotbs-rock.js does not "use strict";
oolite.oxp.cim.cotbs.oxz/Scripts/cotbs-guard.js does not "use strict";
/oolite.oxp.cim.cotbs.oxz/Scripts/cotbs-transmitter.js does not "use strict";

and I have these kind of messages for some other oxps too.

EDIT: I am using version built from git master trunk on windows 8 64 bit.

Cheers,
vsfc
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

That's a code style warning - it's not itself a bug, but failure to set it might be hiding other bugs.

Still, at least it tells us that the rock, guards and transmitter are being added to the system.

1.81 is definitely not at a stage where I'd recommend it for general play, though (and the next major change I'm putting together for it will make this worse, not better)
Runghold
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Runghold »

Great mission - i enjoyed playing it.

Had to find out the hard way that killed asps respawn after a safe state load.

Weird: Although i completed the mission by delivering the transmitter, i keep receiving the original Piracy Warning News.
Runghold
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Runghold »

Runghold wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:54 pm
Weird: Although i completed the mission by delivering the transmitter, i keep receiving the original Piracy Warning News.
Well, there seems to be a typo in cotbs-main.js. Lines 415 and 439 both set the mission variable:

missionVariables.COTBS_stage = "COMPLETED";

also in my save state, it says:

<key>mission_COTBS_stage</key>
<string>COMPLETED</string>

but line 14 is just asking for:

if (missionVariables.COTBS_stage == "COMPLETE") {
Commander Bumble
Average
Average

Bug? Trasnmitter / base has disappeared in COTB

Post by Commander Bumble »

Hi folks, thanks in advance for your time reading this - appreciated.

I'm stuck. I managed to locate the base & transmitter in this mission, but became prematurely retired before I could seize the beepy thing. Since relaunching from the previous save, I've tried quite a few times to relocate it, but it's gone - can't find it anywhere.

I assume it's a bug. Is there a value in one of the files that I could adjust to re-create the base? I would love to complete the mission, especially having invested a hefty chunk of time in it already.

I looked in my latest.log, but couldn't see anything obviously out of place - although I'm guessing and don't really know what I'm looking for.
Commander Bumble The Magnificent, flying a Dark Rainbow: The Torch Of Righteousness.
Deadly to the reprobate, salvation for the tyrannised.
What's that you say, a horde of marauding n'eer-do-wells? They shall rue the day.
Commander Bumble
Average
Average

Post by Commander Bumble »

Update: Reluctantly tried uninstalling and reinstalling the COTBS.oxz but the game has kept my game data, so rather than beginning the mission again from scratch, I'm still stuck in the same place.

To recap, I'm still seeing 'find the transmitter and return it to...' in the F5 screen, but I still can't see any base anywhere at all in the expected place.... it's 'disappeared'.

Tried having a dig around various files, but I don't know where to look nor where the game stores all the data re state of missions in play.

Thanks in advance!
Commander Bumble The Magnificent, flying a Dark Rainbow: The Torch Of Righteousness.
Deadly to the reprobate, salvation for the tyrannised.
What's that you say, a horde of marauding n'eer-do-wells? They shall rue the day.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

MissionVariables are saved into your savegame which is a file ending with .oolite-save within an oolite-saves directory.