Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Goods price indicator

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

the alberts
Competent
Competent

Goods price indicator

Post by the alberts »

Yet another suggestion out of nowhere - (actually I posted it on the end of another thread but figured I'd make it a new topic here) Is this possible or indeed worth doing? :)

I think it would be nice to have an OXP or version upgrade that shows (say by highlighting the value in a colour) when a planets list of goods are either above or below the average price (as shown on the reference pdf), so you can easily look down the list, selling and buying a little quicker.

I have to keep checking the reference sheet anyway (appalling memory!), so my decision whether or not to buy and sell would not be affected - so I don't consider this cheating, just something to save time and speed up the buying process.

An indication (say a cheaper than average price in green, more expensive in red?) would give you an instant guide, rather than having to check manually.

Am I on to something or is this rubbish?
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

Nothing helps burn the prices into one's mind than accidentally buying Platinum at 80Cr/kg. :oops:

My rules of thumb are:
* Agri worlds buy Fur, Radioactives, Booze, Food & Textiles.
* Indust worlds buy Computers, Luxuries, Machinery.
* Gold 40Cr, Platinum 70Cr, Gems 20Cr; buy under, sell above.

Elite (at least for the PC) was way more complicated, with 64 different deterministic price charts. Buying was more expensive than selling. I ended up with 16 pages of handwritten tables for reference.

Off topic, that's now the second time I've seen a contract requesting several tons of Narcotics to be sent to the planet Teen. Is Aegidian trying to tell us something? :wink:
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Odo987 wrote:
Off topic, that's now the second time I've seen a contract requesting several tons of Narcotics to be sent to the planet Teen. Is Aegidian trying to tell us something? :wink:
No, no, no.

Remember - winners don't do Megaweed! :P
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Given classic Elite never had these sorts of clues I don't think Oolite needs them.

I saw FreeLancer had this sort of thing - highlighting good and bad prices and giving you a list of all seen prices, seemed a bit dinky. This is one of the differences between the type of person who plays Elite and the type of person who plays Wing Commander deriviatives... (I played both, but not the Wing Commanders themselves ;)

There are really only a couple of things worth trading in Elite/Oolite and it won't take you long to figure out what they are.
Regards,
David Taylor.
cultist
Competent
Competent

Post by cultist »

yeah i agree with dajt...the harder the game for your brains the more you will play it unless u are a w**s
I`ll either find a way or make one!
Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

I still resent not being able to make huuuuge profit on the Facece-Vequess run...

;) :D
Space Corps Directive #7214
To perserve morale during long-haul missions, all male officers above the rank of First Technician must, during panto season, be ready to put on a dress and a pair of false breasts.