Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Didi you play Elite?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Did you play Elite before Oolite?

Yes, I played Elite
86%
No, Oolite is where I started
13%
Other
1%

Total votes: 91

Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Re: Didi you play Elite?

Post by Star Gazer »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cody wrote:
...only a slipstick.
Heh.. I wish I still had the slipsticks from my final year of high school.. I had 3.. a really nice 15 inch high-precision unit, a kinda strange looking but very useful 3-sided 12 inch one, and a 6 inch circular disc that I could tuck into a textbook...
Ahhhh...! I was really bemused by the reference to a 'slipstick', but this last post made me realise that you were referring to a version of what I knew as a slide-rule'.
I still have my 'scientific' slide rule, that I used at college when I did Applied Physics. I had a triangular sectional rule also, but I can't remember where that went. Electronic calculators were just coming onto the market, but were rare and horribly expensive. Most were Texas Instruments machines, I seem to remember.
I also have a beautiful Edwardian calculator, cylindrical in design, with exquisite markings, and in perfect working condition, which belonged to my grandfather. A treasured possession!
I have never owned an electronic calculator, I was always too prideful of my ability to add and multiply numbers in my head as fast as most people could operate a calculator! I'm not quite so quick any more, however, and frequently resort to the desktop calculator!
Last edited by Star Gazer on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Star Gazer wrote:
I'm not quite so quick any more, however...
Welcome to the old codgers club!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Well, thank you! It's better than being referred to as a miserable old antisocial git, as my erstwhile girl friend did...! :lol:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Cody

Post by Cody »

Star Gazer wrote:
It's better than being referred to as a miserable old antisocial git, as my erstwhile girl friend did...!
Heh... my ex wasn't quite so polite. <wanders away, chuckling>
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Star Gazer wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Cody wrote:
...only a slipstick.
Heh.. I wish I still had the slipsticks from my final year of high school.. I had 3.. a really nice 15 inch high-precision unit, a kinda strange looking but very useful 3-sided 12 inch one, and a 6 inch circular disc that I could tuck into a textbook...
Ahhhh...! I was really bemused by the reference to a 'slipstick', but this last post made me realise that you were referring to a version of what I knew as a slide-rule'.
I almost did say 'sliderule', as that was the term I always used, but for some reason decided to imitate Cody's use of 'slipstick'.. I was mildly surprised by his use of the word, in fact, as I'd always considered slipstick to be an Americanism..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ha! I read a lot of Heinlein as a kid... remember 'Slipstick' Libby?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yep.. it even crossed my mind that you might have succumbed to a Heinleinism.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Cody wrote:
Ha! I read a lot of Heinlein as a kid... remember 'Slipstick' Libby?
No, but I remember the term from Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel". That was one of my favourite SF books as a kid, when I found a copy in a bookstore a few years ago it was like meeting a long-lost friend.

Now if I can just find a copy of Harry Harrison's "Spaceship Medic"...
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

In early 'Doc' Smith novels, Interstellar ships had computers, to calculate the jump/flight co-ordinates for the ships, these 'computers' were special trained humans, as no calculating machine was fast enough to cope with the complexities of subspace flight...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Ranthe wrote:
Now if I can just find a copy of Harry Harrison's "Spaceship Medic"...
There's five copies on ebay.co.uk.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

There's a couple on World of Books Australia (an eBay shop) which might be better for you, Ranthe.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/worldofbooks-a ... 573.c0.m57
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ranthe wrote:
Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel".
The Heinlein juveniles were great reading for kids. Have Space Suit - Will Travel is rumoured to be in movie/screenplay development.
Wyvern Mommy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wyvern Mommy »

Cody wrote:
Ranthe wrote:
Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel".
The Heinlein juveniles were great reading for kids. Have Space Suit - Will Travel is rumoured to be in movie/screenplay development.
I heard a lot of them rumours over the years.
One of them was "Red Planet" (not to confuse with the movie of that title actually done, nor with the animated series which is a loose adaption of the book), for which supposedly a couple actual olympic skaters (girls playing sisters) were cast.
Another was a miniseries based loosely on "Orphans of the Sky" and "The Moon is a harsh Mistress" is rumoured almost regularly every few years. Another "regular" is "Double Star", usually set in the contemporary political climate, much like the actual "Puppet Masters".

I don't know which of those were squashed by Heinlein or later by his estate and which were never more than fantasies of screenwriters and fans.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Wyvern Mommy wrote:
Cody wrote:
I heard a lot of them rumours over the years.
One of them was "Red Planet" (not to confuse with the movie of that title actually done, nor with the animated series which is a loose adaption of the book), for which supposedly a couple actual olympic skaters (girls playing sisters) were cast.
Another was a miniseries based loosely on "Orphans of the Sky" and "The Moon is a harsh Mistress" is rumoured almost regularly every few years. Another "regular" is "Double Star", usually set in the contemporary political climate, much like the actual "Puppet Masters".
I wouldn't say no to an adaptation of "Farmer in the Sky" - another one of my old childhood favourite stories.

On the other hand, considering what happened to "Starship Troopers"...
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wyvern Mommy wrote:
I don't know which of those were squashed by Heinlein or later by his estate and which were never more than fantasies of screenwriters and fans.
Well, a screenplay was actually written for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.. and it's not too bad. It's not easy to track down, but I happen to have a copy, should anyone wish to read it. :wink: