Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by FSOneblin »

Not sure if I should be introducing myself, but since I'm probably going to be into oolite again for at least two more weeks, I had might as well.

I'm much younger than most members here, and never got to experience the original Elite. I somehow found oolite when I was 12 or so, and for a year I would just goof off for a while. I didn't know how trading works, or anything. I just shot things and quit without saving. Then one day, I found the tutorial on the site. I was on the BB a lot after that. I was 12 or 13, so I'm scared to look at my posting history, but I'm sure my age was apparent. Whether I was an annoying little brat or not, I still had a ball here, and felt accepted on these boards.

To most reading this post, David Braben and Ian Bell introduced you into a world of wonder, mystery, discovery, and excitement. I'm sure most of you also respect and maybe even look up to Bell and Braben. To myself, my Braben and Bell was you. I won't be able to get the usernames right, but Aegis(?), Ramirez, Lesterate(The guy who created realisticshipyards, I can't remember his names exact spelling), DaddyHoggy, Kaks, exe provided me this same feeling of wonder and discovery. On this return, hopefully for more than a week, I plan to try and contribute to Oolite more than I previously did.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this for those who didn't know me, don't recognize me, or say to themselves "Oh great, this kid again?"

Don't Panic,
-FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

That's a really cool post, Commander!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome back FSOneblin,
Don't worry, we like a few 'kids' around here - keeps us old folks on our toes :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Oh! One saturday, two old forumites resurfacing.—That's a pleasant surprise! :D

Welcome back, commanders—we're still the Friendliest Boards This Side Of Riedquat™, and we're happy to see you back. Check out 1.77—Oolite is getting better and better. :wink:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

No-one ever reall leaves ... once this game gets in your soul, it's got you forever! :twisted:

Welcome all, new and old!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Disembodied wrote:
No-one ever reall leaves ... once this game gets in your soul, it's got you forever! :twisted:
Ain't that the truth! Cheers for the (re-)welcome guys!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Welcome home, Mauiby and FSOneblin! I remember you both well.. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Jenko
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jenko »

Hello Everyone,
I must have bought Elite in the late Eighties for the heavy, slow desktop PC on whch plied my trade as a freelance journo.
Many late nights (and early mornings ensued). Saling buddies would come round & queue to take turns on the joystick - what bloody good fun we had.

Last week I discovered this wonderful & it seems to me now, much advanced (forget 'game') Ooniverse.

So first, and most important - my sincere thanks to everyone who has clearly worked long,hard & selflesslyto make it so great!

I'm definitely re-hooked, just made my first successful docking - and a small profit.

Now the target on my exciting new horizon is to become very rich & laser lethal. I'm sure many 'Newby' questions will follow, in the meantime:

Good gaming to you all.... :lol:
Jenko
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Welcome to the Friendliest Boards This Side Of Riedquat™ Jenko! If you have any "newbie" questions, please create a topic and ask them! And remember, Don't Panic.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Jenko, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Jenko - welcome :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Jenko
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jenko »

Eve'nin All,
And thanks for the warm welcomes - I really feel at home here already. :D In the meantime:
Great Gaming........

Jenko :
Darknirv
Average
Average

Post by Darknirv »

Hello, thought I'd get on down here and introduce myself.

My first excursions into the world of space trading occurred in the late 90s when my brother borrowed a copy of Frontier: First Encounters. Wasn't any good at it, maybe I was too impatient, or ignorant to the finer points of trading. I would often start a new game, buy an inter-planetary shuttle and cruise the near by planets. But I did get quite far with the default ship, but it hated me, miss-jumping every other jump. Eventually the game was returned, and my trading days drifted intro a distant memory.

8 years later and a friend of mine gives me a copy of Elite for the NES. All those memories of old came rushing back and being older and wiser I actually got somewhere. I mainly stuck to the trading side of things as I never quite got the hang the controls in a combat situation.

Whilst randomly searching the net for a more modern version of Elite, I found Oolite and quickly downloaded it. Ahhh proper controls, full textured graphics, and the chance of expansion. Seems like i got in early as I'd downloaded v1.65. Played a few sessions before life went crazy and took over my budding space career.

Came back last year, and started all over again. This time round I'm really getting the hours in and couldn't be happier! Just upgraded to v1.77 and am happily expanding my OXP collection to make a truly personal Ooniverse.
Claudio de Bris
Average
Average

Post by Claudio de Bris »

OK, I'm new here, so this seems like a good way to start, with a quick summary of my history with Elite.

1984 or so, my best mate bought a BBC B, and, inevitably, Elite. The Cassette version. We both wasted far too much of our youth with it and eventually became Elite. It was worth buying an analogue joystic just to play it.
1985, following an all-nighter as the housemate who owned a C64 was moving out the next day, I got to Elite on that version.
1987 (I think) I found myself the owner of an Amstrad CPC6128 when Elite came out for that. Didn't really get very far with that as it kept crashing on me. Sold it before I'd got beyond Above Average.

Then I got myself an Archimedes, and so when Arc Elite appeared, naturally I got that. Would have been worth investing in an I/O podule just to use a proper analogue stick with it, but sadly that wasn't an option. But a Falcon plug-in PC joystick interface was. Whilst there was much to like about Arc Elite (solid ships, police help you out, pirates fight each other, you get to play the hero) It seemed to me to be squashed into too small a volume of space and I kept crashing into things. Got to Dangerous before tiring of it.

Then, last november, a facebook frient happened to mention Oolite... and I was hooked again. I went out and bought an analogue joystick just to play it. My family didn't see much of me last Christmas, and by new year I'd got to Deadly and was flying a Python Clipper around Galaxy 3. I resolved not to spend so much time playing the game. That lasted about 5 months and 2 weeks

So here I am, still Deadly, now flying a Python ET special in Galaxy 4, surreptitiously trading narcotics between seedy space bars and rock hermits (well what else is there to do out there?) and being hounded by Black Knaves. I'm rather enjoying it.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Claudio de Bris wrote:
... surreptitiously trading narcotics between seedy space bars and rock hermits (well what else is there to do out there?)...
I find hunting bounty-hunters to be rather good sport! Welcome aboard!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!