The curse of the shiny blue ships strikes again!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The curse of the shiny blue ships strikes again!

Post by Tichy »

I made an interesting and strange discovery: there are some ships like Asp MK1, Bushmaster Mine and Drake that, when loaded (from a shipyard list in a station, from the inital demo or in game), make the blue curse go away. :shock:
This ships are all from Companion and Wolfies packages.
I don't know of other ships or objects that have the same effect...
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Tichy wrote:
I made an interesting and strange discovery: there are some ships like Asp MK1, Bushmaster Mine and Drake that, when loaded (from a shipyard list in a station, from the inital demo or in game), make the blue curse go away. :shock:
This ships are all from Companion and Wolfies packages.
I don't know of other ships or objects that have the same effect...
I had the same on my Oolite: Wolfies and companion packs are fine, the core Neolite pack and Shady Sungs show in blue.

This thread already contains pictures of Neolites, here's a Shady Sungs':

I ended up ditching the core Neolites and the Shady Sungs OXPs from my game months ago (February).

I'm playing Oolite 1.76 on Xubuntu on a Lenovo Thinkpad E520.
Last edited by Gimbal Locke on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

The strange thing is that when a ship of those two packages is displayed, then all other vessels return to normal. (At least, on my installation...)
I think that this information might be useful for those who are able to debug these kind of OXP. Perhaps, being able to see what differences there are between the ships of the Core package and those of the two extra packages, you might find out what is causing the problem.
Or maybe this OXP has some behavior that triggers some weird bug on shaders?
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Tichy wrote:
The strange thing is that when a ship of those two packages is displayed, then all other vessels return to normal. (At least, on my installation...)
I also thought that at first, however there is some overlap between the core Neolites and the companion pack, so the game contained both the good & the blue versions.

For example: the core Iguana:

The companion iguana:

Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

What happens to me is that the core ships remained blue until it was loaded a ship of the companion or wolfie. At that point, all ships were restored to normal.
I noticed this in a system in which several vessels were sold. Browsing through the list, the core ships remained blue, until I moved on the Asp Mk1, or the Drake, then all of the ship were successfully loaded.
I can reproduce this behavior at any time.
It may be that when the ships of the two extra packages are loaded, they initialize something that the core ships do not initialize?
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

... and it lurches back to life.
I've been seeing a lot of downloads from neolites and re2dux lately - does this issue remain?

I recall in early testing that I had this same issue but forget what I had to do - it was a subtle something: there's quite a few places textures get mentioned.
I think it was something like the shader in neolites sharing a name with a shader in another OXP. There was a similar problem with subentities.
BTW: The shader I used was a mod off an early one of Griffs - his Cobra I think.

I also seem to remember that something changed in 1.75 that affected the way OXPs got built but havn't found it.
The simple fix would be to rework the OXP - but that's something of a mammoth task so I want to know what to work on first.
Thanks.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Simon B wrote:
... and it lurches back to life.
I've been seeing a lot of downloads from neolites and re2dux lately - does this issue remain?
Ok... I'm sorry to have not tried it recently. It seems that (at least to me) this issue is no more present in oolite 1.77. :oops: :oops: :oops:

However there are two problems remaining. One with the coriolis station, that appears without textures:

The other, with the flashers, that appears far from the ships

I'm using the version 1.1.1, repackaged by capt murphy.

If you like, I could open a different topic for this issues.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The black is what you (used to?) get when the texture fails to load - check the logs against the texture name.
I see the normal map and the specular are working though.
(Although - Griff's Coriolis is black isn't it? Could be a script or texture conflict?)

I have been meaning to separate the coriolis from the neolite set and join it with similarly styled stations since the style is very pretty.

The Krait (pictured) should not have flashers, check with the shipdata.plist.
The ships that do have flashers should have them appear some distance from the ships - you can see from the in-game shots in my photobucket account.
Flashers are a subentity and sometimes they cross over between likeships.

Note: I only control the OXPs in my box account (see sig).
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Some textures are interlaced. Re-save without it.

And welcome back, Simon.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

I removed some oxps to avoid conflicts and thus solved the flashers problem. Then I installed the neolites from your account.
I still have the untextured coriolis. There are some errors in my log:

Code: Select all

16:38:46.959 [texture.load.png.warning]: ----- A PNG loading warning occurred for /home/stefano/.Oolite/AddOns/ships.oxp/neolite.oxp/Textures/alien-coriolis.png: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile.
16:38:46.960 [texture.load.png.warning]: ----- A PNG loading warning occurred for /home/stefano/.Oolite/AddOns/ships.oxp/neolite.oxp/Textures/alien-coriolis-fxm.png: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile.
16:38:46.960 [texture.load.png.error]: ***** A PNG loading error occurred for /home/stefano/.Oolite/AddOns/ships.oxp/neolite.oxp/Textures/alien-coriolis.png: bad adaptive filter value.
16:38:46.960 [texture.load.png.warning]: ----- A PNG loading warning occurred for /home/stefano/.Oolite/AddOns/ships.oxp/neolite.oxp/Textures/alien-coriolis-norml.png: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile.
16:38:46.960 [texture.load.png.error]: ***** A PNG loading error occurred for /home/stefano/.Oolite/AddOns/ships.oxp/neolite.oxp/Textures/alien-coriolis-fxm.png: bad adaptive filter value.
@svengali: I just saw your comment. I'll try it now. Thanks :)
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The coriolis texture was converted from a jpeg using an old version of libpng that idd not check ICCP.
It may be enough to load the texture into a photo-editing suite and then save it unchanged.
I'll extract the coriolis and test it on my system when I get a moment.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Simon B wrote:
The coriolis texture was converted from a jpeg using an old version of libpng that idd not check ICCP.
It may be enough to load the texture into a photo-editing suite and then save it unchanged.
I'll extract the coriolis and test it on my system when I get a moment.
You are right. That works.
Here are the resaved textures (the one that gave errors in my logfile)
https://www.box.com/s/wpwrhmgvzizjsp46gcpv
https://www.box.com/s/l5x6bszecmomy6rjrep9

And here's the result

Thank you very much! And sorry for my wrong reports... :)