Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Screenshots

Post by JensAyton »

Wildeblood wrote:
I gave up on using it in Oolite because of the obvious distortion - that kink in the cloud bands near the top of the disk is not real and shouldn't appear.
To underline what Eric said, USE CUBE MAPS FOR PLANET TEXTURES. Always.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
The IR image Diziet Sma posted, and the accompanying article, are not the slightest bit relevant. As he admitted himself, when he came back and edited his post, he's put his foot in his mouth there. The visible light image of Jupiter contains no pentagons, hexagons or othergons
Ahh.. but the hexagon has been seen using visible light on at least 3 occasions. The IR only helps to cut through the haze which sometimes obscures the poles. The first observation, via reflected sunlight, was made by Voyager, then a few years later it was seen by professional astronomers using the 1.04-m diameter Pic du Midi observatory, and most recently (just a few months ago) by some amateur Aussie astronomers using a Celestron C14..

http://planetaryweather.blogspot.com.au ... round.html

Feel free to remove your foot whenever it suits you.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Saturn, Jupiter… hey, they’re both round and gassy.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

And they both have a hexagon at the pole. Since one can be seen via visible light when the conditions are right, it stands to reason that the other can too... :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Wildeblood wrote:
It looks suspiciously like Jupiter. In fact, it looks like a particular image of Jupiter that I have too, and have tried in Oolite. I downloaded it from somewhere. I gave up on using it in Oolite because of the obvious distortion - that kink in the cloud bands near the top of the disk is not real and shouldn't appear. View the planet from above its "north pole" and you'll see the cloud bands form an obvious - and unnatural looking - pentagon.

OTOH, if that is a carefully hand-crafted image you've spent many hours on, and not a downloaded image of Jupiter, please accept my profound apology.
It is indeed Jupiter but not meant to be permanent. The texture is not my own creation and is an equirectangular projection. It took me some time to get the position I wanted. That was my first priority. I don't mind the obvious distortions so much. The texture that will replace Jupiter will be a cube map. This will teach me not to jump out of the gate before the gun sounds.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

ZygoUgo's Cinematic Sky really enhances the game!
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Nice shot indeed Pagroove.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I was inspired to Photoshop and made a nice pic of how a planetfall at Xexedi would look. This is on Xexedi Spaceport 1. Can you identify all ships?
:D ?

Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Let's see -

* A Smivs Boa Class Cruiser
* Three Griff Boa Class Cruisers
* Two Griff Anaconda tails (far right)
* A Smivs Boa Clipper and a Deepspace Python (behind building)
* Two Cobra Mk IIIs on the ground
* A Smivs Cobra MkIII taking off

... and that's about all I recognise.
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

What Ranthe said, plus two Anaconda Liners (from 'Transports' I believe) on the right at the back - the green ships.
I think the two other ships at the far back are Griff Boas (or maybe Neolite), and there are two Griff Cobra Mk 1s between the Griff Anacondas and the Cobra Mk 3s on the ground.
Regarding the Cobra Mk 3s, the grey, red and yellow one is my 'pirate' version (don't know why he was allowed to land there!), but I'm not sure where the silver and blue one comes from.
The two small ships by the Smivs Boa CC might be Griff transporters, and finally the 'blur' flying past looks a bit like a Neolite Worm.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Ranthe wrote:
Let's see -

* A Smivs Boa Class Cruiser-----------------------------------------> yes!
* Three Griff Boa Class Cruisers-------------------------------------> also yes!
* Two Griff Anaconda tails (far right)---------------------------------> Yes!
* A Smivs Boa Clipper and a Deepspace Python (behind building)---------> Yes!
* Two Cobra Mk IIIs on the ground----------------------------------> yes!
* A Smivs Cobra MkIII taking off------------------------------------> yes!

... and that's about all I recognise.
Still 2 types of ships missing. 8)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Smivs wrote:
What Ranthe said, plus two Anaconda Liners (from 'Transports' I believe) on the right at the back - the green ships.
I think the two other ships at the far back are Griff Boas (or maybe Neolite), and there are two Griff Cobra Mk 1s between the Griff Anacondas and the Cobra Mk 3s on the ground.
Regarding the Cobra Mk 3s, the grey, red and yellow one is my 'pirate' version (don't know why he was allowed to land there!), but I'm not sure where the silver and blue one comes from.
The two small ships by the Smivs Boa CC might be Griff transporters, and finally the 'blur' flying past looks a bit like a Neolite Worm.
two Anaconda Liners (from 'Transports' I believe------> Yes the Anaconda Spaceways variant.
I think the two other ships at the far back are Griff Boas (or maybe Neolite)--> No :) --> Griff Anaconda's
might be Griff transporters, and finally the 'blur' flying past looks a bit like a Neolite Worm--> Well spotted !

(don't know why he was allowed to land there!)--> Maybe he 'bribed' his way down :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

pagroove wrote:
<Smivs>I think the two other ships at the far back are Griff Boas (or maybe Neolite)--> No :) --> Griff Anaconda's
Oh, well! At least it shows I'm not totally sad :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

awesome picture pagroove, the attention to detail is great, the landing struts look fantastic!
the paint design on the cobra III that's taking off is really nice, really fits the shape of the ship.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I really like Smivs' shipset, but the style is so unique I'm having trouble finding matching ships to go with it. PAGrooves Oldships is a good one and Coluber ships fit in too. But I want more :D. In addition I have emission mapped Wolfwoods ships and x-ships. It really makes a tremendous difference to an old ship to add an emission map. Here's Sidewinder Special from x-ships. If there's interest for these, I can patch up an oxp.