Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Messages make oolite jump/lose time/something like that

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Messages make oolite jump/lose time/something like that

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hello. Can anyone help with this? It's the only real negative I have with Oolite - the overall balance is still a big thumbs-up. I find that all messages that appear cause a jump/delay/something of about 0.1 seconds each time they appear. This is the difference between getting a cargo canister or ramming it, keeping a lock with "Sniper Lock", or whatever. So I launch, the shield capacitors start charging so giving me a message every second or two and with each one Oolite seems to freeze for this fraction of a second. Any key that was being pressed at the time (such as roll or pitch) seems to get a boost or something, meaning when the freeze finishes the you've rolled about 90 degrees rather than the 10 you were trying to do. It's not the CSOTB add-ons, this is in oolite. Does it in a vanilla install. The PCs I use are not uber-machines but aren't completely rubbish and the effect is common to all of them. It's positively dangerous in a fight, means odd canisters get rammed rather than picked up, Sniper Lock loses its lock, various other effects. Does anyone else get this? Is there some setting or other that isn't obvious that I can alter to improve or better still eliminate the problem? I tend to run oolite from a USB stick, is it the time to read the appropriate message from the stick or something like that? Ta. Rich.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Messages make oolite jump/lose time/something like that

Post by Diziet Sma »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
I tend to run oolite from a USB stick, is it the time to read the appropriate message from the stick or something like that? Ta. Rich.
That might indeed be a significant factor. I'd also wonder about how much memory your various graphics chips use, is it dedicated or shared RAM, etc. (laptops usually share part of the system RAM)

If you could provide the specs for each PC you use (and the graphics-related section of the Latest.log for each as well), that could be helpful.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Thanks for the reply. One machine where I get this is a Dell Inspiron somethingorother, reading from the computer properties - Intel Pentium cpu B940 @ 2.00 GHz, 4.00 GB RAM, 64-bit system. I know the graphics is an intel thing . . . where to get the info . . . Intel HD graphics, driver 8.15.10.2361, windoze 7 sp1, directx 10.1, graphics memory minimum 64 MB maximum 1696 MB. I'll try running from the HD but it's not always possible to know what system I am going to use, thus the USB stick. Ta, Rich.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
I know the graphics is an intel thing . . . where to get the info . . .
The Oolite Latest.log should have a section something like this near the top.

Code: Select all

02:08:29.028 [display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 2560 x 1024
02:08:29.029 [display.mode.found.failed]: Failed to find mode: width=1280 height=1024 refresh=0
02:08:29.029 [display.mode.found.failed.list]: Contents of list: ({Height = 1024; RefreshRate = 0; Width = 2560; })
02:08:29.467 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 1
02:08:29.470 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.2 ("2.1.2 NVIDIA 295.40"). Vendor: "NVIDIA Corporation". Renderer: "GeForce 6200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!".
02:08:29.471 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (185):
richard.a.p.smith wrote:
I'll try running from the HD but it's not always possible to know what system I am going to use, thus the USB stick.
One alternative might be to run from HD but to backup your gamesaves to the USB stick after each session. (or just keep them on the stick and load/save from it instead of the default locations - actually, I'm not certain Oolite can do that, will have to test)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Thanks. The text from the log is at the end. I tried to run from the HD and there's still a lag writing messages to the screen, enough to cause a problem. I don't think it's MilHUD but I'll try without it. Surely other people must get this? I haven't done anything odd anywhere! Ta, Rich.

22:15:28.074 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1366 x 768
22:15:28.402 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
22:15:28.402 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 3.1.0 ("3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2361"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family".
22:15:28.402 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (102):
GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_sampler_objects, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_snorm, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_INTEL_performance_queries, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_sync, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_ARB_compatibility, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_NV_blend_square
22:15:28.452 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
22:15:28.074 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1366 x 768
22:15:28.402 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
22:15:28.402 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 3.1.0 ("3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2361"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family".
22:15:28.402 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (102):
Hmm.. that turned out to be less informative than I'd hoped.

Ok.. I want you to take a look on the underside and see if you can find the model number of the laptop. Being an Inspiron, it should be Nxxxx. Also, if you bring up the Device Manager, it should give a bit more info on the graphics chip under the heading "Display adapters".

The other thing I noticed is that there are only 102 OpenGL extensions, which is kind of on the low side. The 8.15.10.2361 drivers would certainly seem a bit long in the tooth.. Have you ever updated the graphics drivers on this machine? If not, or not in a long time, there may well be more capable drivers available from Intel. But that is something we can look at in more detail once we know exactly what graphics chip it's using.
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Thanks. Inspiron N5110. The device manager lists it as Intel(R) HD Graphics Family; there are of course extra details in there but too many to list here! The Windoze driver update says it's from 2011 or so and is up to date. I'll look at the Intel site and see if there's something more recent . . . Intel says it's an Intel Processor Graphics 2000 with a custom driver, apparently (although it also says that the driver was provided by Intel) and installing a generic one might cause technical issues (what is wrong with the word "problem" these days?). The Intel site also gives a processor identification tool . . . which identifies the CPU but not the graphics chip - very helpful so why did it suggest it?! Thanks for the responses. Rich.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

It is not normal that on-screen messages generate lag. The occasional stutter during gameplay does exist and that is known, but definitely does not happen on every message coming up on screen. If this is not gfx driver related, then it may be a problem in an OXP script or something like that. Can you try this: Start the game with Shift held down until you see the spinny startup Cobra, then proceed to play as you would normally do. Play until you get a few lag occurences, then quit and post here the complete log of that run.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
The Windoze driver update says it's from 2011 or so and is up to date.
The Dell support page for your laptop agrees.. v.8.15.10.2361 from mid 2011. There is a much more recent one available (9.17.10.2843), but only for Win8.
richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Intel says it's an Intel Processor Graphics 2000
Ok.. according to the Intel Generic Driver page for the HD Graphics 2000, the latest Windows 7 driver for that GPU was released 21 Mar 2013, and is version 9.17.10.3062.

Before going ahead with that though, I do suggest you read the warning advisory in the OP of this thread on modding laptop drivers.

Also, before going to this extreme, I suggest you follow through with another_commander's request and see if that turns something up.
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

another_commander wrote:
It is not normal that on-screen messages generate lag. The occasional stutter during gameplay does exist and that is known, but definitely does not happen on every message coming up on screen. If this is not gfx driver related, then it may be a problem in an OXP script or something like that. Can you try this: Start the game with Shift held down until you see the spinny startup Cobra, then proceed to play as you would normally do. Play until you get a few lag occurences, then quit and post here the complete log of that run.
Thanks for the replies, very welcome.
I do fairly often (if I move from one laptop to another) do a shift restart. On launch, I start getting messages from the shield capacitors and on every single print to screen there is this jump. It isn't that OXP as far as I can tell, it occurs with all other messages (talkative space compass, destination eta, welcome mat and - as far as I can tell, meaning I have not noticed any message that does not cause a lag - messages expected from oolite). Overall, the impression I have of the problem is that anyone who runs oolite should see the problem, I really don't do anything odd, don't have anything out of the ordinary running, normal sort of PC, etc, etc.
All that stuff said, I take on board what you say and I'll have a go with a shift restart and post the log. New installation and no OXPs if necessary.
BTW this was also true in a previous version of oolite, 1.76 or 1.76.1 I think so it's not unique to 1.77. That one also had a lot of OXPs, mostly the same ones.
OXPs installed I've listed below in case one that is known to affect or be bothered by on-screen messages is present.
Ta
Rich

../AddOns/BGS-A1.6.oxp
../AddOns/black_baron.oxp
../AddOns/BountyScannerv2.0.oxp
../AddOns/BountyStatus 1.00.oxp
../AddOns/Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp
../AddOns/Coyote's Run.oxp
../AddOns/Deep Horizons - Lights Down.oxp
../AddOns/Destination ETA 1.0.4.oxp
../AddOns/display_reputation.oxp
../AddOns/Escape_Capsule_Locator_1.4.1_2012-06-05.oxp
../AddOns/FuelCollectorV0.07.oxp
../AddOns/GalaxyInfo.oxp
../AddOns/halsis.oxp
../AddOns/Halsis_BGS1.2.oxp
../AddOns/longway 1.1.oxp
../AddOns/marketAide_1.2_2012-09-01.oxp
../AddOns/MilHUD-v4.0.oxp
../AddOns/Military Fuel Injectors 1.03.oxp
../AddOns/Misjump Analyser 1.1.oxp
../AddOns/Naval Grid 1.00.oxp
../AddOns/offender_traders.oxp
../AddOns/Ore_processor 1.59.oxp
../AddOns/OXPConfig2.3.1.oxp
../AddOns/Police_Scanner_Upgrade_1.3.1_2011-12-18.oxp
../AddOns/Q-Bomb_Detector_1.2.oxp
../AddOns/RepairBots 2.09.oxp
../AddOns/Rock_Hermit_Locator1.3.3.oxp
../AddOns/Sensible Sun.oxp
../AddOns/ShieldEqualizer+Capacitors(v1.3).oxp
../AddOns/Snoopers2.4.oxp
../AddOns/spyhunter 1.1.oxp
../AddOns/Stealth 1.04.oxp
../AddOns/TalkativeCompass_1.0.4.oxp
../AddOns/Taranis 1.3.oxp
../AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.12.oxp
../AddOns/total_patrol.oxp
../AddOns/Welcome Mat 1.13.oxp
../AddOns/Tionisla Reporter 1.2.oxp
../AddOns/supercobra 1.4.2.oxp
../AddOns/LongRangeScanner v0.311.oxp
../AddOns/SniperLockv1.oxp
../AddOns/EnergyBombfor1.77.oxp
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Well, here's that log. Current installation, all oxps, etc. First observation was immediate, as before, shield capacitor messages but (again) not restricted to that OXP. I flew around for a bit, jumped here and there to try out whether auto-locking caused the lag, didn't notice anything that didn't cause the lag. I'll investigate a new installation with no oxps. Ta, Rich.

Opening log for Oolite version 1.77 (x86-32) under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit at 2013-05-10 20:10:02 +0100.
2 processors detected.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

20:10:04.054 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
20:10:04.449 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1366 x 768
20:10:04.738 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
20:10:04.739 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 3.1.0 ("3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2361"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family".
20:10:04.739 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (102):
GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_sampler_objects, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_snorm, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_INTEL_performance_queries, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_sync, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_ARB_compatibility, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_NV_blend_square
20:10:04.857 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
20:10:04.910 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
20:10:04.944 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
Resources
../AddOns
../AddOns/BGS-A1.6.oxp
../AddOns/black_baron.oxp
../AddOns/BountyScannerv2.0.oxp
../AddOns/BountyStatus 1.00.oxp
../AddOns/Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp
../AddOns/Coyote's Run.oxp
../AddOns/Deep Horizons - Lights Down.oxp
../AddOns/Destination ETA 1.0.4.oxp
../AddOns/display_reputation.oxp
../AddOns/Escape_Capsule_Locator_1.4.1_2012-06-05.oxp
../AddOns/FuelCollectorV0.07.oxp
../AddOns/GalaxyInfo.oxp
../AddOns/halsis.oxp
../AddOns/Halsis_BGS1.2.oxp
../AddOns/longway 1.1.oxp
../AddOns/marketAide_1.2_2012-09-01.oxp
../AddOns/MilHUD-v4.0.oxp
../AddOns/Military Fuel Injectors 1.03.oxp
../AddOns/Misjump Analyser 1.1.oxp
../AddOns/Naval Grid 1.00.oxp
../AddOns/offender_traders.oxp
../AddOns/Ore_processor 1.59.oxp
../AddOns/OXPConfig2.3.1.oxp
../AddOns/Police_Scanner_Upgrade_1.3.1_2011-12-18.oxp
../AddOns/Q-Bomb_Detector_1.2.oxp
../AddOns/RepairBots 2.09.oxp
../AddOns/Rock_Hermit_Locator1.3.3.oxp
../AddOns/Sensible Sun.oxp
../AddOns/ShieldEqualizer+Capacitors(v1.3).oxp
../AddOns/Snoopers2.4.oxp
../AddOns/spyhunter 1.1.oxp
../AddOns/Stealth 1.04.oxp
../AddOns/TalkativeCompass_1.0.4.oxp
../AddOns/Taranis 1.3.oxp
../AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.12.oxp
../AddOns/total_patrol.oxp
../AddOns/Welcome Mat 1.13.oxp
../AddOns/Tionisla Reporter 1.2.oxp
../AddOns/supercobra 1.4.2.oxp
../AddOns/LongRangeScanner v0.311.oxp
../AddOns/SniperLockv1.oxp
../AddOns/EnergyBombfor1.77.oxp
20:10:08.503 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
20:10:45.153 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 55 world scripts:
BGS-M 1.6
blackbaron 1.74
Bounty Scanner 2.0 2.00
Bounty Status Display 1.00
Cabal_Common_Briefing 1.7
Cabal_Common_Comms 1.7
Cabal_Common_Functions 1.7
Cabal_Common_Keyboard 1.7
Cabal_Common_MissionHandling 1.7
Cabal_Common_Music 1.7
Cabal_Common_Overlay 1.7
Cabal_Common_OXPStrength 1.7
Cabal_Common_SpecialMarkets 1.7
Coyote-Main 1.1.1
Destination ETA 1.0.4
display-reputation-contract 1.1
display-reputation-passenger 1.1
ecl_SAR_worldscript.js 1.4.1
escapePodLocator.js 1.4.1
Fuel Collector 0.07
galaxy_info 1.0.0
genericHUDswitch - MilHUD.js 1.05, modified by Wyvern for MilHUD
Halsis 1.2
long_way_round
LongRangeScanner 0.311
market_Aide 1.2
mil_injectors.js 1.03
misjump_analyser 1.1
offender_traders 1.1
oolite-cloaking-device 1.77
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.77
oolite-contracts-cargo 1.77
oolite-contracts-helpers 1.77
oolite-contracts-parcels 1.77
oolite-contracts-passengers 1.77
oolite-nova 1.77
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.77
oolite-trumbles 1.77
oreProcessor 1.59
OXPConfig 2.3.1
Police_Scanner_Upgrade 1.3.1
Quirium Mine Detector 1.2
Repair system 2.08
rockHermit_Locator 1.3.3
shieldequalizercapacitors 1.3
sniperlock 1.0
snoopers 2.4
spy_hunter
stealth_missionScript 1.04
Talkative Space Compass 1.0.4
taranis_one 1.3
targetAutolock 1.11
Tionisla Reporter 1.2.0
total_patrol 1.3
Welcome Information Script 1.13
20:10:53.537 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 49.39 seconds. ==========
20:11:03.253 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 55 world scripts:
BGS-M 1.6
blackbaron 1.74
Bounty Scanner 2.0 2.00
Bounty Status Display 1.00
Cabal_Common_Briefing 1.7
Cabal_Common_Comms 1.7
Cabal_Common_Functions 1.7
Cabal_Common_Keyboard 1.7
Cabal_Common_MissionHandling 1.7
Cabal_Common_Music 1.7
Cabal_Common_Overlay 1.7
Cabal_Common_OXPStrength 1.7
Cabal_Common_SpecialMarkets 1.7
Coyote-Main 1.1.1
Destination ETA 1.0.4
display-reputation-contract 1.1
display-reputation-passenger 1.1
ecl_SAR_worldscript.js 1.4.1
escapePodLocator.js 1.4.1
Fuel Collector 0.07
galaxy_info 1.0.0
genericHUDswitch - MilHUD.js 1.05, modified by Wyvern for MilHUD
Halsis 1.2
long_way_round
LongRangeScanner 0.311
market_Aide 1.2
mil_injectors.js 1.03
misjump_analyser 1.1
offender_traders 1.1
oolite-cloaking-device 1.77
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.77
oolite-contracts-cargo 1.77
oolite-contracts-helpers 1.77
oolite-contracts-parcels 1.77
oolite-contracts-passengers 1.77
oolite-nova 1.77
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.77
oolite-trumbles 1.77
oreProcessor 1.59
OXPConfig 2.3.1
Police_Scanner_Upgrade 1.3.1
Quirium Mine Detector 1.2
Repair system 2.08
rockHermit_Locator 1.3.3
shieldequalizercapacitors 1.3
sniperlock 1.0
snoopers 2.4
spy_hunter
stealth_missionScript 1.04
Talkative Space Compass 1.0.4
taranis_one 1.3
targetAutolock 1.11
Tionisla Reporter 1.2.0
total_patrol 1.3
Welcome Information Script 1.13
20:11:14.581 [Total_patrol]: Adding additional police.
20:14:31.395 [exit.context]: Exiting: Exit Game selected on options screen.
20:14:31.396 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2013-05-10 20:14:31 +0100.
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

SOLVED, I think

It occurred to me that it was the spoken messages causing the problem. Text should be quick but if it wants to tell me whatever-it-is then more processing is needed so a lag. So, try without - F2, options, turn off spoken messages, and the lag seems to disappear completely. I'll keep going in that manner. Dunno if it affects BGS and so on, yet, this is the basic option. Rich.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

:shock:

Yeah.. I can see how that would happen.. also tends to suggest very few of us have spoken messages turned on. Certainly I don't, as it doesn't "go" very well with the voice of HalSis. I doubt it would affect BGS, as those are pre-recorded audio that simply gets played as just another sound.. whereas the spoken audio for what are inherently unpredictable messages on-screen has to be generated on the fly.. a considerably more CPU-intensive task.

I think you may well have figured it out, Commander.. congratulations!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

This does raise an interesting thought..

Should the F2 Options settings be recorded in the log? Might it make diagnosing certain problems easier?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Confirmed. Spoken messages on Windows generate this lag on every message coming up on screen. Can one of the Linux players please check and report back so that we can determine whether it is a problem of the eSpeak integration in Oolite in general or something Windows specific?

To be honest, I would think that spoken messages would not really be such an issue. Certainly more processing is required for them, but the actual messages get spoken in a different game thread each time so I never considered it a potential source of problems. Definitely something we need to look at. Thanks for catching that Rich.