Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved] install issues

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

zef
Average
Average

[Solved] install issues

Post by zef »

Hi. trying to install the latest Oolite 1.77 on my ubuntu system (12.10)

I've downloaded the tgz file, extracted it to my home folder. When I run sudo ./oolite-1.77.linux-x86_64.run in the terminal I get the following message

jon@jon-ThinkPad-R400:~$ sudo ./oolite-1.77.linux-x86_64.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Oolite 1.77 .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
./oolite-1.77.linux-x86_64.run: 1: eval: ./setup: Permission denied
jon@jon-ThinkPad-R400:~$

Any idea's as to what I'm missing?

Thanks.
Last edited by Getafix on Thu May 02, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as solved.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: install issues

Post by Cody »

Hi zef, and welcome aboard. I'm a microsoftie, so I can't help, but hopefully a penguinista will be along shortly.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Perhaps try and re-download the installation file and try again (making sure to set the installation file to executable, of course ;)) . I don't think I've ever seen that message before.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
zef
Average
Average

Post by zef »

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

I tried re-downloading the install file and same result. Are there any requirements needed to install? Maybe my system is missing some software?

Thanks
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I've not seen that particular message either.
I don't think it is a lack of software, but it might help if you could give full spec for the computer.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The "Permission denied" message is weird. I would not expect to see that..

zef, are you sure you set the downloaded file to be 'executable' before you tried to install it? Did you do something a little out of the ordinary, such as, for instance, downloading it as one user, then trying to install it as another user? I only ask because I do know people who have a second, very restricted user account just for internet use.

Also, I've just now noticed that the installer doesn't appear to have asked if you wanted a system-wide or home-directory installation. Do you recall being asked to enter 's' or 'h'? I presume since you went for a 'sudo' install you wanted a system-wide installation..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
zef
Average
Average

Post by zef »

Hi. I'm running a standard Ubuntu 12.10 64bit system. In my previous post all that appears is listed from the sudo command to the error message.

I have chmod 777 the file and same result. I only use one account on the system. I have tried the standard 32 bit and got the exact same result. I have uninstalled oolite from the ubuntu software centre and it still won't install.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Does it work if you don't use sudo, for a user account rather than system-wide install?
zef
Average
Average

Post by zef »

Nope. I get the exact same message. This has me totally baffled. It's like some part of the required system is missing or something.
ozhank
Competent
Competent

Post by ozhank »

The problem I think lies with a problem with your sudo account - it doesn't have permission to perform the task you want.

So try this: sudo su : then you should be asked for password - this changes you from being you to the root user of the system ie substitute user.

Now try the installation command without the sudo as you are already the root/superuser on the system.
"Blessed are the cracked, for they let the light shine in". Spike Milligan

Debian 9.* XFCE4 on Toshiba Laptop
zef
Average
Average

Post by zef »

No password request. Same result. :?
zef
Average
Average

Post by zef »

FIXED. /tmp was mounted noexec nosuid. Remounted without those and it worked.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

zef wrote:
FIXED. /tmp was mounted noexec nosuid. Remounted without those and it worked.
Glad you got it fixed - I was beginning to wonder if you maybe didn't have an /opt/ folder :P.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Congratulations on solving it! (makes mental note of symptom for future reference)
zef wrote:
FIXED. /tmp was mounted noexec nosuid.
:shock:
Hmm.. I do understand the security advantages to having /tmp on a separate partition and mounted noexec nosuid.. but will have to keep an eye out for that particular hassle..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied