Any VLC (power) users out there?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Any VLC (power) users out there?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Any VLC (v2.0.x "Twoflower") users out there?

I want to stream my desktop of one laptop to a VLC running on another. I've tried UDP, RTP/TS (as recommended), I've tried Multicast address, I've tried using the IP of the machine I want to receive the stream, I've checked the Wn7 firewall settings, VLC is allowed to send and receive (I even temporarily turned the firewalls off, just to check!), but I'm getting precisely nada on the receiving machine.

(I've tried streaming in both directions just in case one machine was playing up somehow - worryingly in no case or variation/combo do I see any useful looking packets coming through Wireshark from the streaming machine's IP address)

Given this is what VLC is supposed to be good at I've always found this aspect very frustrating to set up and have done since early v1.x days...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Any VLC (power) users out there?

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hmm.. something that's not exactly clear from your post.. are both machines on the same network and subnet? I'm wondering if you have a router or something in the way that might not be allowing the packets through. Also, have you made totally sure you don't have an accidental port mismatch?

A network diagram might be helpful, too.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hi DZ, they're connected via wifi to my Vermin Mediocre SuperHub - so yes, both on same network and subnet.

This morning I got it working if I stream using HTTP on port 8080, which is OK-ish, but there's a 20s lag between what happens on the streamer screen and the receiving copy of VLC.

So this doesn't negate the (potential) issue with my router - which could still be blocking the other (non-HTTP) protocols (i.e. RTP and UDP).

I'm going to dig out a switch and some ethernet and physically connect the two machines together and see what they do then!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

A quick search with "vlc streaming between computers" gives several web pages and you Tube videos on how to do it. Generally it should work faster than a 20s delay. I've done this on a hotel WiFi between my netbook and Nexus7 without lags but that was with an android app on the tablet end (acting as the server).

The meet point is to make sure you set up the receiving client end as well as the server, and as dizzy says that they are on the same net and there is no firewall blocking either locally or at the router. You may also need to create a suitable rule in the router config to allow the UDP port through.