Memorials

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Memorials

Post by Smivs »

I am posting here as I do not want to derail this thread.
There seems to be general agreement that Commanders who are no longer with us should be recognised, and sadly as none of us are getting any younger this number will grow in time. The most common suggestion has been to add memorials to the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard (TOGY).
I mentioned this to Selezen in a recent PM. I suggested producing a model of the Oolite Starbird which could have the late Commander's name where the 'Oolite' text is. I imagined something like this.
Selezen wrote:
The TOGY may be quite crowded and it might not be immediately apparent that a memorial is for a real commander, although using the Oolite wings might be enough of a distinction. It would still mean that a visitor would have to doa fair bit of searching to find a real commander's stone.

Maybe a separate graveyard OXP would be in order for this, making it easier for the memorials to be found. A simpler, uncluttered area with special significance for players.

The Lave Solar Graveyard. Head out to the star Lave and there you will find a remote, secluded area of space with a few memorials. For those special people who made the Oolite universe what it is.
My personal view is that the Tionisla graveyard is the most appropriate place, and I am not sure about the idea of a seperate OXP for 'real' Commanders' memorials - it seems a little morbid. What do you all think?
I pictured the Starbird Memorial as being of a similar size to the existing ones, in a bright gold with the text in a respectful purple. I think these would stand out very well and anyone wanting to seek them out would find them easily.
This would of course require a new model, and also implies that the OXP would need to be updated from time to time. As this work is now Eric's responsibility, he would have to agree with this.
So is this a good idea - what do you think?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Memorials

Post by JD »

I obviously wouldn't want to burden Eric with a commitment he doesn't want, but I think TOGY would be a good choice. It seems better to me to stumble upon this sort of memorial amongst all the others, at a place lots of players like to visit anyway for its spectacle, than to have a solitary cluster of real-life memorials separate from everything else. As Smivs says, that might seem a little morbid. I think using TOGY would place a memorial more "in game".
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

So now I'm morbid?? ;)

If Eric can't pick up the mantle, I'm more than happy to update the TOGY - I still have a air idea how it all works. Sometimes I have nightmares about co-ordinate plotting for hundreds of monuments...

So yeah - no problem designing a suitable memorial model and a base texture and diving into the co-ordinates again... :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Selezen wrote:
So now I'm morbid?? ;)
Ha, no sorry, I didn't mean you are morbid, it's just the idea that there could be an OXP that people in the future could download to see 'Who's died'.
Also, one of the great things about Oolite is how 'small' we are. A special place doesn't seem to fit in with that ethos.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

If you do create a memorial, add it to TOGY... an OXP explicitly for the purpose seems daft.
For the record: when I am invited to that great gig in the sky, I do not want a memorial of any sort.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Given what Ironfist's avatar was - how about a Bell X-1 as his memorial?

But I'd say - no separate area for "real" Commanders, just slip them in and let others explore and find them, if they so desire - those who know, will know. Those who don't, it won't make any difference.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody

Post by Cody »

The Bell X-1 is a thing of beauty... if I was a shipwright, it'd be second on the to-do list (after the P51 Mustang).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I'm also for inclusion into the TOGY, for the reasons already mentioned.

The TOGY OXP doesn't necessarily need to be updated all the time, by the way. Personal memorials can also be added as add-on OXPs, similar to the different YAH-sets.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Cody wrote:
OXP explicitly for the purpose seems daft.
So not only am I morbid, I'm DAFT as well???

:evil:

I've never been so insulted!

Nah, not really.
Commander McLane wrote:
The TOGY OXP doesn't necessarily need to be updated all the time, by the way. Personal memorials can also be added as add-on OXPs, similar to the different YAH-sets.
That there's a good idea. A separate add-on to the TOGY including specific memorials was an idea in the first place anyway, so the scope for that should be there.

It might be a little much to have individual OXPs for each person - maybe a catch-all add on that contains everyone would be less "morbid". :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Selezen wrote:
<refers the master historian to his very own website>
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Ah, well, you see, that's...that's... Shut up.

;-) I'm daft, but it works.

Do we want to do this then?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Given what Ironfist's avatar was - how about a Bell X-1 as his memorial?

But I'd say - no separate area for "real" Commanders, just slip them in and let others explore and find them, if they so desire - those who know, will know. Those who don't, it won't make any difference.
I agree - I think it would be better to have to poke around a little bit - just like a real graveyard. Having commanders' memorials look different will help in finding them amongst the others.
Cody wrote:
Selezen wrote:
<refers the master historian to his very own website>
:lol: - nothing wrong with a touch of the daftness :P.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
I already made a separate memoriam oxp when Steve Jobs died. I put the link in a forum message back than, but it was never added to the wiki. It is probably a good idea to include it in this oxp so you only need to update the memorial oxp.

When updating the TOGY oxp I already made the change in a way that it is easy to add separate oxps with memorial items. It only needs a more general name than.

For the Steve Jobs memorial I just used the default gravestones and default textures. On this I added the logo with an illumination map to only give a subtile change to the gravestone.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Nice one, Eric! Since you've done the majority of the work already, do you want to take this on? I can design a special Oolite Wings monument if you can add the fancy shaders to it...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Agree on adding to the main TOGY, and with the Bell X-1. The TOGY needs more ships in there anyway..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied