[Solved] Strange absent sub-ent problem

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

[Solved] Strange absent sub-ent problem

Post by Smivs »

OK, here's a weird thing.
My Smivs'Shipset v4.1.4 has been around since 16th December without any hint of the current problem.
A couple of days ago I noticed that all the sub-ents (models and flashers) had disappeared from the 'Replace' version. The only changes I have made were to the shipdata.plist entries for the Thargoids and related to materials and scripts, not sub-ents. The un-changed version has the same problem so the plist changes are not relevent. The 'Add' version of the OXP is un-affected and still has all the subents (with or without the plist changes I made).
Both Add and Replace versions are identical except for the ship names. The Replace version uses the default names (eg "adder") whereas the Replace version has a 'smivs' prefix (eg "smivs-adder").
I don't know how long this problem has existed, but suspect it is fairly recent as I hadn't noticed before - I can't say for sure that it is 1.77 related, but it certainly did not exist when I released the OXP while 1.76.1 was current.
I am totally baffled by this and so far have not been able to fix it as I haven't got a clue what is causing it. Has anybody else using the Replace version noticed this? - the missing sub-ents are the engines, guns and navigation strobes (flashers). Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?
Last edited by Smivs on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
BuggyBY
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Strange absent sub-ent problem

Post by BuggyBY »

FWIW, I've been using the SD Replace version for the past few weeks, and all those sub-ents are present. Could it be just an issue with the HD-texture version?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks BuggyBY. I haven't checked the SD version which I should do, although the only difference between the two is the files in the Textures folder so I wouldn't expect there to be a problem there. Also the HD was fine until recently. Certainly worth a look/check though.
Glad you've still got your sub-ents :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Weirder and Weirder!
The SD Add version is OK (as reported by BuggyBY) but the SD Replace has the missing sub-ents. So the other way round to the HD versions.
I'll have to take another good look at this...

Incidently, no log errors at all, and the 'missing' subents can be spawned - it's odd seing an engine floating around in space :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [Solved] Strange absent sub-ent problem

Post by Smivs »

OK, mia culpa!
Doh, I have been testing the new version of ToughGuys, and it is that which is causing the problem! I should have seen this before so am vigorously slapping my wrist for being stupid.

Slinks off back to the OXP workshop feeling a little silly and looking forward to trying to fix the problem...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: [Solved] Strange absent sub-ent problem

Post by Cody »

<sniggers>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!