Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cheat docking computers

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

davidmpratt
Above Average
Above Average

Cheat docking computers

Post by davidmpratt »

Is it possible to cheat and obtain docking computers?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Cheat docking computers

Post by Disembodied »

Hi David, welcome to the forum! Yes, it's possible: you can edit your save file using a text editor (only, if you're a Windows user, don't use Notepad as it will "mangle the file in non-obvious ways"). Make a copy of your save file, find the bit in there that says that you don't have a docking computer and change it to say you do (this is slightly more technical than I've made it sound, but only slightly: it's changing something from "no" to "yes" or "false" to "true" or somesuch). The game will know that you've cheated, but won't stop you playing. It might shake its head, and be disappointed in you, but it won't say anything out loud. Perhaps it might shed a single tear ...

I would, though, recommend that you learn how to dock manually. Docking computers can be damaged in combat, and then where will you be? The buoy outside each station is placed at the perfect position to line yourself up on the station. You could also try downloading an OXP like [wiki]Neo Docklights OXP[/wiki], which provides a line of lights to guide you in.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Firstly, welcome to the Friendliest board this side of Reidquat.

Secondly, one of the beauties of Oolite is that you can do whatever you want in your Ooniverse, and it won't affect anyone else.

As for your request to cheat your way to docking computers, sure it's totally possible to anyone who has a text file editor and the ability to open their save file (which is a human readable text file).

However, and with the utmost respect, I would like to ask you that you don't do this. Learning to dock is one of those 'rite of passage' things that you will come to appreciate. There's plenty of info out there that will show you how it's done. May I suggest that you start by perusing this thread.

By all means, though, don't be afraid to ask questions. That's the way that we all learn.

<edit>Ninja'd by Disembodied</edit>
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi David, and welcome to the board.
As the others have already said, it is not only possible but actually quite easy to 'cheat' your way to extra equipment. However I would second the others and urge you to consider this carefully. With regards to docking it only takes a little practice to master the art and it is certainly an art worth mastering. As has been pointed out the DC can be damaged in combat, and also some (OXP) dockables do not accept the DC so you have to dock with them manually anyway.
Also, many consider the 'early days' to be the best part of playing Oolite - the learning the ropes, gathering equipment over time as you can afford it etc. It is an open-ended game so there is really no hurry, and I personally think the best way to enjoy the game is to play it 'straight'. After all, as a single-player game the only person you cheat is yourself :wink:
Having said all that, this is a broad and friendly community and whatever choices you make you will find plenty of 'like minds', and even those of us who choose a different path to yours will still be here to offer help and advice when you need it.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

A few other options in OXPs, too:
- [EliteWiki] Lave Academy lets you do a docking training course without leaving your starting system.
- [EliteWiki] Delightful Docking slows down the station rotation, which makes it easier to dock.
- [EliteWiki] Traffic Control adds some traffic controllers to talk you through the approach.

And one other non-OXP option:
- sell the Cobra Mk III and buy a Cobra Mk I. This has two advantages: firstly, it's a much smaller ship, so docking it is easier; secondly, you'll have more than enough spare cash just to buy a docking computer. Of course, it's not as good a ship in other respects, and it'll take you a while to earn enough to get back to a good ship again.
Eldon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Eldon »

A combination of [wiki]ooCheat OXP[/wiki] and Autodock OXP is probably your best bet if you don't want to edit your save file; and Oolite won't even notice you've cheated. You'll feel more of a sense of acomplisment if you can manage it without using a some sort of cheat though. That said, if you want to fly round and not worry about it, go ahead, it's your game after all :D .
S-P
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by S-P »

Hmmm...I found by the time I could afford docking computers I could dock with my eyes shut. :lol: But seriously you could just fly out of the station in Lave and turn round and re-dock until you get the hang of docking. Besides cheaters never prosper, just ask all the pirates I've killed. 8)
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

There are also videos on youtube to demonstrate the docking procedure :). (That's what I did - saw it being done once and I went and did it myself ;))
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
davidmpratt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by davidmpratt »

Thanks for your input. How do I locate the save file? Is it in "logs"?
S-P
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by S-P »

You should have a save game folder inside the Oolite main folder.
davidmpratt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by davidmpratt »

The only folders I have inside the main folder are:-
Expansion Packs
Oolite - Advice for New Commanders
Oolite - ;ogs
Oolite - Read Me
Oolite - Reference Sheet
Oolite - Uninstall
Oolite - Website
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

My 'oolite-saves' are in the home folder (that's on Linux with a system-wide install).
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
S-P
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by S-P »

davidmpratt wrote:
The only folders I have inside the main folder are:-
Expansion Packs
Oolite - Advice for New Commanders
Oolite - ;ogs
Oolite - Read Me
Oolite - Reference Sheet
Oolite - Uninstall
Oolite - Website

That's strange, you should have a folder called oolite.app. Inside is the savegame folder, are you using an older version of Oolite? The current version is 1.77.
davidmpratt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by davidmpratt »

I have found oolite.app but it does not contain a savegame folder. Is that because I have not saved a game yet, having not been able to dock?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

davidmpratt wrote:
I have found oolite.app but it does not contain a savegame folder. Is that because I have not saved a game yet, having not been able to dock?
That's possible. You should save before launching. :wink:

Also, alternatively to the OXPs already mentioned, [wiki]Stationrotation OXP[/wiki] will make the stations rotate slower, and the [wiki]Dock Assist System OXP[/wiki] will give you visual help for aligning with the docking bay.