Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

At least buy me a beer!

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: At least buy me a beer!

Post by Disembodied »

Paradox wrote:
I guess my gripe centers around the fact that I have had to use my missiles
(which cost money), quite possibly lost cargo (which costs money), used up fuel (which costs money), to help save some other trader, and for that I might get a thanks on the screen?...
Virtue is its own reward, they say. That's why nobody passes the hat for Superman after he's rescued them from their plummeting aircraft. I suppose that's also why Superman has to have a day job, which must at the very least distract him from saving the world ... :D
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Disembodied wrote:
Paradox wrote:
I guess my gripe centers around the fact that I have had to use my missiles
(which cost money), quite possibly lost cargo (which costs money), used up fuel (which costs money), to help save some other trader, and for that I might get a thanks on the screen?...
Virtue is its own reward, they say. That's why nobody passes the hat for Superman after he's rescued them from their plummeting aircraft. I suppose that's also why Superman has to have a day job, which must at the very least distract him from saving the world ... :D
I'll buy that as soon as I see the "karma" = number in my save file plist! };] Plus, I don't see Superman as having much cost overhead/output except for the dry cleaning of his cape.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I this point I could make use of one of my own OXPs and write a new OXP that would detect the player helping a NPC out and have it award some GalCop Reward Points sometime later. Along with some apropriate message. The idea being that you get them on docking (though not likely the next docking) after GalCop have been notified. It would be calculated along the lines of first docking after a random number of game hours somewhere in the order of 50 hours. The explanation for this is that you get the reward now is because this is when the Reward caught up with you.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Wyvern Mommy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wyvern Mommy »

another question came to me:

why is it that no NPC (except -maybe- the cops) ever helps me out?
CmdrLUke
Deadly
Deadly

Post by CmdrLUke »

Wyvern Mommy wrote:
another question came to me:

why is it that no NPC (except -maybe- the cops) ever helps me out?
It would be cool if there were a inter-ship chatter system, I'm sure that must have been proposed before. Hail other ships, congratulate them on a kill, taunt pirates, shout for help, etc. Maybe even put a bounty out on an attacker! "Hey, anybody, 200Cr to the first guy to smoke this fugitive who's attacking me!".
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

CmdrLUke wrote:
It would be cool if there were a inter-ship chatter system, I'm sure that must have been proposed before. Hail other ships, congratulate them on a kill, taunt pirates, shout for help, etc. Maybe even put a bounty out on an attacker! "Hey, anybody, 200Cr to the first guy to smoke this fugitive who's attacking me!".
It has been and there was a simple proof of concept by Kak but it never really went anywhere. See https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6951.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

PhantorGorth wrote:
CmdrLUke wrote:
It has been and there was a simple proof of concept by Kak but it never really went anywhere. See https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6951.
You are right. This idea popped up a few times. People like the idea but strangely the OXP didn't get of the ground. At least not further than a Proof of Concept.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Wyvern Mommy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wyvern Mommy »

CmdrLUke wrote:
"Hey, anybody, 200Cr to the first guy to smoke this fugitive who's attacking me!".
how much gets the second guy?