Energy Bomb MIA.

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Energy Bomb MIA.

Post by Rogue7414 »

Not sure if this is a bug or not but I'll post this here anyway. I was recently in combat with a Rattle Cutter and two Hydra's and after slagging their weapons all three started heading off in different directions, my lasers were all ready red lined so I was concerned I'd loose the bounties I'd get from the three of them so I pressed my energy bomb key and nothing happened. I couldn't remember using it but you never know maybe I had and just not replaced it. So I did manage to kill the three ships and make it back to the station. I went to equip my ship with a new energy bomb and there wasn't one to purchase, nor even at the next Tech 12 world I visited. So my question is this, has 1.77 done away with Energy Bomb's? Or will it be down to an OXP that I've installed recently? The only two that I can think that may have done it are Escape Capsule Locator and Q-Bomb detector, anyone any thoughts?

Cheers.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Energy Bomb MIA.

Post by cim »

Rogue7414 wrote:
So my question is this, has 1.77 done away with Energy Bomb's?
The energy bomb is not on the default equipment list for 1.77 except in Strict Mode, though you can install an OXP to make it available in normal mode too.

If you had an Energy Bomb fitted when loading your save game into 1.77 for the first time, it will have been replaced by a Q-mine if you had a free pylon, or the cash will have been refunded if not.
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Post by Rogue7414 »

Thanks Sim. Thought I'd gone energy bomb happy for a moment and not realised I'd cooked one off or something!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Rogue7414 wrote:
Or will it be down to an OXP that I've installed recently? The only two that I can think that may have done it are Escape Capsule Locator and Q-Bomb detector, anyone any thoughts?
Further to what cim said, I can guarantee that the Q-Bomb Detector does not mess with any of your equipment.. I can't guarantee that it won't cause you to mess your pants the first time it goes off, though.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cmdr Nhatna
Poor
Poor

Post by Cmdr Nhatna »

Hello. Long time reader, first time poster. :) So I was curious, with the removal of the Energy Bomb in v1.77, What do you guys like to use instead? Is the Q-Bomb the way to go? Just curious.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr Nhatna wrote:
Hello. Long time reader, first time poster. :) So I was curious, with the removal of the Energy Bomb in v1.77, What do you guys like to use instead? Is the Q-Bomb the way to go? Just curious.
As a player of the original Elite, I'm used to having the [EliteWiki] energy bomb, so I added the OXP when I upgraded to 1.77. I only use it now and then, when I really need to get to the station but am overwhelmed by pirates. I don't bother with the [EliteWiki] Q-mine.
Last edited by JazHaz on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmdr Nhatna wrote:
Hello and welcome to the Friendliest Boards This Side Of Riedquat™! :D

Well, in my case the answer is simple: lasers. I have never used the Energy Bomb anyway, and I haven't really used Q-Bombs either, except for fun. I also don't use missiles. Thus all my fighting is done with my lasers, and the removal of the Energy Bomb has changed nothing about it at all.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Nhatna, and welcome aboard! Like McLane, I've never used the energy bomb (nor the QCM) in normal Oolite game-play.
Unlike McLane, I do use missiles (for defensive purposes) - but then I only fight with my fore laser.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yup, anything that's free :) so lasers here as well. I do carry one hardhead for those dire situations (haven't used one for ages though) and a standard missile in case I have a hardhead on my tail, no fuel left and haven't been able to shoot it down with the aft laser. 8)
Last edited by Smivs on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cmdr Nhatna
Poor
Poor

Post by Cmdr Nhatna »

Perhaps I'll try the Q-Bomb just to see how it goes. I don't really use the Energy Bomb; it's more of a laziness thing when I am in a hurry and don't feel like fighting 6+ pirates.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cmdr Nhatna wrote:
I'll try the Q-Bomb just to see how it goes. I don't really use the Energy Bomb; it's more of a laziness thing when I am in a hurry and don't feel like fighting 6+ pirates.
It'd be cheaper to buy an escape pod and eject. <chortles>
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cody wrote:
Cmdr Nhatna wrote:
I'll try the Q-Bomb just to see how it goes. I don't really use the Energy Bomb; it's more of a laziness thing when I am in a hurry and don't feel like fighting 6+ pirates.
But brings less for the killcount. :wink:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
But brings less for the killcount.
There is that - not to mention the loss of cargo/contracts, and in-game time. It's the quick way (RL) to the nearest main station though.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Cody wrote:
That depends on the quantity of your cargo. It could be expensive to write it all off.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Eric Walch wrote:
Cody wrote:
That depends on the quantity of your cargo. It could be expensive to write it all off.
That's why the Escape Pod is better than the Energy Bomb: if you get in over your head and have to press an emergency button, you should lose something!