Fantastic game

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Fantastic game

Post by drew »

I guess you've heard it all before, but a big thanks for creating this amazing super clone of Elite. I was an avid player back in the early 80s (both on the BBC B and the Spectrum).

Found the game significantly harder than I remember.

I downloaded some of the more interesting OXPs (lave, imp_courier, tionisla graveyard etc).

Took the 'first trip faq' arrived at Zaonce, got rumbled by a group of pirates almost straight away. Killed one and then the aforementioned imperial courier showed up and blew me away. Cool ship, but I didn't get to see it for long.

My elite rating must be rusty.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Drew.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hi, drew,

Yes, the Imperial Couries is a bit too powerful for people starting out, but Selezen is working on a toned-down version.

You could consider de-installing the OXP untill you got a bit more well equipped (extra shields etc.) and then give it another try.

It looks like, increasingly, people that put up 'super' ships are now coming back to that, and putting up updates at OoSat2 with more errr... sane specs.
jmwalsh
Harmless
Harmless

Post by jmwalsh »

Hello all,

I was going to play Elite TNK yesterday but it's on my old G3 and my girlfriend was using it, so I decided to search and see if I could find the RiscOS Roms to run Arcelite (in emulation) on my Powerbook G4 instead. No dice.

I did, however, find Oolite and want to thank Giles and everyone else for developing such a fantastic game. Thank you.

It's also interesting to see a game coded in, I presume, ObjectiveC.

After messing around with the .plists to make one hell of an Adder, a ship I'd coveted as a child for some unknown reason, I've gone back to playing it straight. Thanks guys.

J...
Dingo
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Dingo »

Add one more neophyte...

I'd like to congratulate Giles and the entire Oolite community on the development of this absolute gem. My first encounter with the original Elite was on a very dodgy home built Apple II clone and at that time, what Elite could get out of that chaotic jumble of chips and resistors was nothing short of miraculous. I somehow made it to the rank of Archangel, though it seems from looking through the Inter Nets that the Apple version never had that feature in it. :shock:

Over the years, I've looked for similar space trader/ pirate games (especially for the Mac) and despite coming close on occasion (the Escape velocity series springs to mind), nothing ever compared to the original. Geniune 3D piloting with ridiculously simple to learn controls and a vast and varied universe to explore... it's been sadly missed.

Over the intervening years, I'd occasionally hear something or other about Messrs Bell and Braben sniping at each other but otherwise, emulation was the nearest substitute I could find. About a month ago I was using my work PC for, errr, "original research" on Wikipedia and had a quick-as-a-blink visit from the Nostalgia Gnome, who nudged me in the Elite direction. A few links later, there's the Oolite page.

Boundless joy.

This re-engineering is immaculate. Everything great about Elite has been retainedor improved and the one detraction resolved. Even in an open-ended game like Elite, a new few missions and novelties are welcome and with the .oxp add-ons, the possibilities are amazing. Indeed, the ones already available are works of love and art. It seems that Oolite will continue to evolve and expand in ever more weird and wonderful ways, thanks to the obvious passion and dedication of its community.

Once again, congratulations. You guys are, indeed, teh 1337.

BTW, these are possibly the friendliest, most helpful and most civil boards I have ever visited. For that reason, you may now expel me for using leet-speak.
Hello, I'm Dingo. Can I have your baby?
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Welcome, Dingo.
Dingo wrote:
BTW, these are possibly the friendliest, most helpful and most civil boards I have ever visited. For that reason, you may now expel me for using leet-speak.
STFU, n00b!

:lol: :wink:
nothing ever compared to the original. Geniune 3D piloting with ridiculously simple to learn controls and a vast and varied universe to explore... it's been sadly missed.
I like that, sounds like the ideal review snippet for Oolite!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Just adding my tuppence to the above.

I love Oolite, the whole OXP idea is also a stroke of genius. Oolite to me is everything Frontier should have been (minus the planetary landings).

I love all the other little details, such as the fact that passenger runs give you an idea of whether you are actually going to make it or not.

Keep up the good work!
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.