Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits - abandon mission without leaving galaxy?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Re:

Post by Bogatyr »

Poro wrote:
I've yet to engage a mark that doesn't use fuel injectors to escape when you hit them a couple of times. Try to identify your target as quickly as possible, and hit 'em a couple of times. They will probably boost away and leave their friends behind - giving you ample chance to isolate them and gradually run down their shields.

The only thing to worry about is how long it will take their friends to catch up. 8)
Yeah this is a real pain. They're fugitives after all, in addition to fighting... they run! It's not easy to target the guy before the henchcritters close on you and then they can escape in the confusion. What I've taken to doing is running straight through the henchs on injectors to get a target on the mark before engaging. It worked the last time :).

What I'd really like to see is a piece of equipment that targets the ship that last sent out a message. Then the mark's taunts will help to be its undoing!

It would also be helpful for do-gooders to quickly get to the ship that sent out a distress call in a furball.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Re:

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bogatyr wrote:
It's not easy to target the guy before the henchcritters close on you and then they can escape in the confusion. What I've taken to doing is running straight through the henchs on injectors to get a target on the mark before engaging. It worked the last time :).

What I'd really like to see is a piece of equipment that targets the ship that last sent out a message. Then the mark's taunts will help to be its undoing!

It would also be helpful for do-gooders to quickly get to the ship that sent out a distress call in a furball.
Try the Military Targetting System. It lets you get a target lock on all the bad guys in range simultaneously (to a maximum of 16), after which it's the work of a few seconds to cycle through them with next/prev target until you locate your mark. My bounty-hunter persona won't leave home without it! :lol:

It also fulfils your other suggestion, as it makes it much easier to locate escape capsules in a furball.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Oh boy, that's a must have. W00t thanks for the info!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Bogatyr wrote:
What I'd really like to see is a piece of equipment that targets the ship that last sent out a message.
The comms key (`) will identify the last ship to send a message (if it still exists), but won't target it - auto-targeting is not always desirable.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

El Viejo wrote:
auto-targeting is not always desirable.
Agreed.. apart from anything else, what would happen if someone else sends a message, just after you got the auto-lock on the target you actually wanted? Maybe just as you go to fire a missile, even?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied