Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New to the forums and new to Oolite.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Re: New to the forums and new to Oolite.

Post by Star Gazer »

I was not saying that EVN was no longer in existence, but remembering a great deal of fun that occurred in being involved in the cooperative writing of a fictional story based on characters abstracted from the EVN storyline. Dan was a particularly enjoyable contributor to that time, and it was with a mixture of sadness and anger that we were ejected from the site for allowing our story to carry on for too long!

I seemed to have entirely hijacked the original thread ... :oops: ...sorry
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Rogue7414 wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
G'day Paul, and welcome aboard! 8)

Out of curiosity, how did you come across Oolite?
Believe it or not it was when the Kickstarter for Elite Dangerous was going on, I made my pledge, managed to convince my wife that donating £150.00 to fund the development of a game was a really good investment, saw a comment made by someone on the Kickstarter site about Oolite, at first I thought it was a typo, then after having a look into it found this, http://www.oolite.org/links and have been playing ever since, as I tell my wife I'm getting my hand in for when elite Dangerous comes out next year, well I can't go into an online game like this cold now can I! :twisted:
Ah, another Oolite widow in the making, welcome to the club.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Rogue7414 wrote:
Believe it or not it was when the Kickstarter for Elite Dangerous was going on
I can very easily believe that.. the E:D kickstarter has brought a lot of new faces to the board over the past few months, and probably many more players that have not registered here, as well..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Post by Rogue7414 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Rogue7414 wrote:
Believe it or not it was when the Kickstarter for Elite Dangerous was going on
I can very easily believe that.. the E:D kickstarter has brought a lot of new faces to the board over the past few months, and probably many more players that have not registered here, as well..
You know Diziet, I feel kinda cheated that I've missed out on Oolite for all these years but I sure as hell am making up for it now, loads of ops installed.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Funny.. I feel the same way about the years I missed out on!

However, making up for lost time is always good! (not so much for the spouse, though :twisted:)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Funny.. I feel the same way about the years I missed out on!

However, making up for lost time is always good! (not so much for the spouse, though :twisted:)
An then you start writing fiction or OXP's or both.

Ooops.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Star Gazer wrote:
I was not saying that EVN was no longer in existence, but remembering a great deal of fun that occurred in being involved in the cooperative writing of a fictional story based on characters abstracted from the EVN storyline. ...
ah, gotcha. Yes, I remember some unpleasantness about that. And then trying to run a board using free software, heh! I wonder whatever happened to Mamajama? She was awesome. I still hear from Premonition occasionally, too.

I spent much of yesterday evening trying to find my old external HD that should have my code for Nova on it (along with other archives...), to no avail. Bah!
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."