New Windows 8 Laptop - Gestures

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

New Windows 8 Laptop - Gestures

Post by Pleb »

For anyone who has bought a laptop in the last few months, have people noticed the size of the mouse/touchpad area? At first I thought that they'd just realized it's always been far too small, then after a while I realized that it was used for gestures, like on a tablet or a smartphone.

Does anyone else think this is a bit unnecessary on a laptop? I mean, if I wanted to buy a tablet and use those kinds of gestures I would. But it get really annoying that if you move two fingers on it by accident the webpage your looking at suddenly goes to 300x zoom. It might be handy on some games, but I tend to use my wireless mouse for gaming anyway as a touchpad sucks on most games.

Surely there's a way to turn these damned gestures off on Windows 8?
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New Windows 8 Laptop - Gestures

Post by Diziet Sma »

Since that pile of junk known as Windows 8 looks like it was designed for tablets, you might be out of luck..

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I didn't opt for Windows 8 by choice, to buy the same laptop with Windows 7 on it would have cost £200 more... :(
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you had.. I know how they pull sucky BS like that. Nobody wants Win8, so just force it on them instead..

(you could always ditch Windows, install Linux and demand a refund on the Microsoft Tax.. :wink:)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Diziet Sma wrote:
(you could always ditch Windows, install Linux and demand a refund on the Microsoft Tax.. :wink:)
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Diziet Sma wrote:
At the risk of being flamed by every Linux user on here, I really don't see the point in it. The majority of games I play on my laptop are only available on Windows (although most are probably on the Mac as well) so why would I stop using something that is compatible for something that isn't? I may have some grievances with the latest version (as Windows 8 sucks ass), but it's still more suited for what I do than Linux.

Even a Mac would be better than using Linux, and I'd still rather use Windows 8 than use a Mac (as I'm not a musician or an artist therefore have little/no use for it either)...

Don't get me wrong I'm sure Linux is great for some people, but its not for me. :)

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'd suggest going with start8 or one of the similar program if the tifkam particularly bothers you.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Pleb wrote:
FBut it get really annoying that if you move two fingers on it by accident the webpage your looking at suddenly goes to 300x zoom.
I have no idea how big that touchpad area is, but on the MacBook it is big for a long time. And I appreciate the multifinger options, like zooming etc. But at least we can set all this in preferences. On the MacBook I have a trackpad preference were I can activate 2, 3, of 4 finger use for some features. There are over 12 combinations you can activate. Most are off by default to keep starters happy :D

The bad thing for windows 7 is that I can't find an equivalent for it. My MacBook has a windows partition and that lacks any way of setting the trackpad. (I only can find a mouse and a keyboard dialogue) The minimum setting someone needs would be to define double tapping as a mouseclick. That was already possible on my 13 year old first iBook from 2000. :(
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Since that pile of junk known as Windows 8 looks like it was designed for tablets, you might be out of luck..
LOL :!: - I remember beta testing that version of AOL and despising it :lol:

Pleb - it's too bad that M$'s underhanded tactics have you stuck with Win 8. You can always dual boot a machine as well ;).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

If you were happy with your previous version of windoze, then you still have a license to run it on your new machine.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

NigelJK wrote:
If you were happy with your previous version of windoze, then you still have a license to run it on your new machine.
I had Windows XP before, but I'd rather have been able to upgrade to Windows 7 rather than Windows 8. Still I'm sure I'll get over it... :lol: