Latest.log subentity error warnings

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Latest.log subentity error warnings

Post by mandoman »

I have been working on a ship that has several subentities, none of which are normal. I figured each would be a Standard subent, since they don't do anything just yet. Eventually they will spin at different intervals specified by a so far non-existent script.

Anyway, when I put the oxp into the game to see if it all came together, this is what Latest.log had to say.

Code: Select all

12:35:24.883 [strings.conversion.vector]: ***** ERROR: cannot make vector from '0.0, 0.0, -42.2': could not scan a float value.
12:35:24.883 [strings.conversion.quaternion]: ***** ERROR: cannot make quaternion from '1, 0, 0, 0': could not scan a float value.
That is just one of the errors, as there was the same repeated for each subent I had created.

What the heck does it mean by "float value"? Griff says that the comas should not be present in either the "position", or the "orientation", but according to the OxpHowTo page on Subentities, unless the subent is a flasher, those comas should be there. Has this changed? Just when I thought I had subentities figured out, I find out I don't. Any help would be welcome. :(
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Latest.log subentity error warnings

Post by Thargoid »

Can you post an example from shipdata.plist of the sub-ent entry of the ship that's failing? I would suspect perhaps you've got rogue quotes or something like that, which is confusing things between a string and a number or something like that.

It should look something like:

subentities =
		(
			{
				subentity_key = "dock-flat";
				orientation = ( 1, 0, 0, 1);	// rotated 90 degrees
				position = ( 0, 0, 500 );
				is_dock = true;
			});
taken (with a quick edit to shorten) from the trunk shipdata.plist entry for a Coriolis.[/color]
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Thargoid wrote:
Can you post an example from shipdata.plist of the sub-ent entry of the ship that's failing? I would suspect perhaps you've got rogue quotes or something like that, which is confusing things between a string and a number or something like that.

It should look something like:

subentities =
		(
			{
				subentity_key = "dock-flat";
				orientation = ( 1, 0, 0, 1);	// rotated 90 degrees
				position = ( 0, 0, 500 );
				is_dock = true;
			});
taken (with a quick edit to shorten) from the trunk shipdata.plist entry for a Coriolis.[/color]
Griff already nailed me. Even after looking at several subentity examples, I failed to notice that I used quotation marks, instead of brackets, in the orientation, and position. I know, wake up, stupid. :roll:

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Been there, done that, spent ages looking for the T-shirt only to find I'm already wearing it...

How d'ya think I can often predict what's wrong :oops: :wink:

It's all part of the dark side. Have a cookie.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Thargoid wrote:
Been there, done that, spent ages looking for the T-shirt only to find I'm already wearing it...

How d'ya think I can often predict what's wrong :oops: :wink:

It's all part of the dark side. Have a cookie.

LOL!! A cookie? Sounds good. Now where did I put that package of Chips Ahoy. :D