Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Interrupted hyperspace & fuel

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Interrupted hyperspace & fuel

Post by Bogatyr »

Hey Commanders,
When the Thargoids interrupt a hyper-jump, do you always have enough fuel to continue to your original destination (assuming your don't use the injectors)? I was doing a close to max distance jump when the Thargoids interrupted, and I stupidly hit the injectors for a bit to escape, and that was it, game over. But it got me to wondering, if you don't touch the injectors, are you guaranteed to be able to finish the interrupted jump?

Thanks,
CmdrLuke (Bogatyr)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Interrupted hyperspace & fuel

Post by Cody »

Bogatyr wrote:
... if you don't touch the injectors, are you guaranteed to be able to finish the interrupted jump?
That depends on the length of the hyperspace jump, and the positions of any nearby systems. On a broken 6.8ly jump, you have no chance unless you're carrying drop-tanks of some sort. If you always (wherever possible) stick to short jumps, then you should always have enough fuel to escape from interstellar space. Or you could install the [EliteWiki] Wormhole Restoration OXP - then if you can defeat the Thargoid warships and blow the witchspace jammers, your original wormhole will be restored (although there are possible complications). Oh... welcome aboard!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Also remember that - provided you can get through the fight with the Thargoids without it being damaged - a galactic hyperspace jump doesn't use any fuel.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

El Viejo wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:
... if you don't touch the injectors, are you guaranteed to be able to finish the interrupted jump?
That depends on the length of the hyperspace jump, and the positions of any nearby systems. On a broken 6.8ly jump, you have no chance unless you're carrying drop-tanks of some sort. If you always (wherever possible) stick to short jumps, then you should always have enough fuel to escape from interstellar space. Or you could install the [EliteWiki] Wormhole Restoration OXP - then if you can defeat the Thargoid warships and blow the witchspace jammers, your original wormhole will be restored (although there are possible complications).
I was jumping from Zaalela to Erlaza, which is 6.4, the last stage of a courier run. Looking at the map all the "left side" of G1 is separated from the nearer-to-the-middle-part of G1 by long jumps. So sometimes long jumps are unavoidable.

How does one get a drop-tank? I'm returning to Oolite after a number of years away and I don't recall if those require an OXP or not?

Hmmm seems then that long jumps are especially dangerous, more than I recalled.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

cim wrote:
Also remember that - provided you can get through the fight with the Thargoids without it being damaged - a galactic hyperspace jump doesn't use any fuel.
Ah ok that's a non-cheating game way to get out, I'll buy one ASAP.
thanks,
CmdrLuke (Bogatyr)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Bogatyr wrote:
How does one get a drop-tank?
Drop tanks are an OXP solution, as are extra internal fuel tanks - the gal-drive solution is good, in extremis, but costs a lot of cash.
Keep your ship regularly maintained, and the risk of a mis-jump is lessened - unless you deliberately mis-jump, looking for trouble!

If you get a [EliteWiki] wormhole scanner, you can make long jumps for free by hitching a lift through a trader's wormhole.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

El Viejo wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:
Drop tanks are an OXP solution, as are extra internal fuel tanks - the gal-drive solution is good, in extremis, but costs a lot of cash.
Keep your ship regularly maintained, and the risk of a mis-jump is lessened - unless you deliberately mis-jump, looking for trouble!

If you get a wormhole analyser, you can make long jumps for free by hitching a lift through a trader's wormhole.
Is there some indicator (like a little light on the dash :) ) that says when maintenance is required? Should you take it whenever it is offered, or is there some other way to know when to do it?
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

El Viejo wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:

If you get a [EliteWiki] wormhole scanner, you can make long jumps for free by hitching a lift through a trader's wormhole.
p.s. how does one deliberately mis-jump?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Bogatyr wrote:
... how does one deliberately mis-jump?
As the hyperspace countdown hits 1, pitch up hard (may not work with a joystick - use the keyboard).
Mostly, it pays to have the maintenance overhaul as soon as it's offered.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

El Viejo wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:
... how does one deliberately mis-jump?
As the hyperspace countdown hits 1, pitch up hard (may not work with a joystick - use the keyboard).
Mostly, it pays to have the maintenance overhaul as soon as it's offered.
Hmmm I'm playing with the keyboard I may have done that by mistake since I was just pulling away from a sun skimming refueling. Good to know!
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

El Viejo wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:

:oops:
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Bogatyr wrote:
Is there some indicator (like a little light on the dash :) ) that says when maintenance is required? Should you take it whenever it is offered..
It is only offered when maintenance drops below a certain threshold. And also doing maintenance is no guarantee that your ship will be in mint condition afterwards. High tech systems do a better job for the same money. That means it is up to the player to do it immediately, or postpone it a little till you visit a high tech system. .... Always those choices... :?

Bad maintenance results in higher misjump chances and higher chance of hull penetration in combat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Eric Walch wrote:
Always those choices...
Aye... all part of Oolite's rich tapestry!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day and welcome aboard, Bogatyr! 8)
Bogatyr wrote:
When the Thargoids interrupt a hyper-jump, do you always have enough fuel to continue to your original destination?
In case, after the above discussion, you were wondering just why you may not have enough fuel left (depending on relative locations of nearby systems), it's because the fuel is used to generate the wormhole. So by the time your jump is interrupted, the fuel has already been used up.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Diziet Sma wrote:
G'day and welcome aboard, Bogatyr! 8)
Bogatyr wrote:
When the Thargoids interrupt a hyper-jump, do you always have enough fuel to continue to your original destination?
In case, after the above discussion, you were wondering just why you may not have enough fuel left (depending on relative locations of nearby systems), it's because the fuel is used to generate the wormhole. So by the time your jump is interrupted, the fuel has already been used up.
Ah! Yes, thanks I was assuming some sort of linear fuel usage from here-to-there, that explains it.