SoloTek Industries

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: SoloTek Industries

Post by CaptSolo »

I have taken down the Silver Ships page. The Moccasin, Scimitar and Shrike will be added in future. Before spring arrives I hope to finish the final version of the Cobra Mk III-XT. That one should be the culmination of everything I have learned studying Griff's work, not that I could ever come close to his abilities. Once spring arrives I will stop working on Oolite projects.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

CaptSolo wrote:
Once spring arrives I will stop working on Oolite projects.
Not permanently, I hope. I have enjoyed you're ships a lot, because they are so faithful to their origins. Looking forward to the Cobra Mk III-XT.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Northern summer has ended although my family are still enjoying the vegetable garden which exceeded all expectations and continues to produce. Frost will put an end to that quite soon.

So, Commander Solo turns his thoughts once more to all his WIP's:

[wiki]Worlds of G1 OXP[/wiki] should be completed by the end of winter 2014. More planet and moon textures need to be produced as well as a mission AddOn to be started.
The Shipyard will be cranking out two new product lines: The Galaxian Trader, and the CobraX, the not so famous ship of my not too extensive Elite fiction.
Work will continue on a new project inspired by Superbatprime's Ships Cat OXP. I have called it Shipmates OXP, and will offer for sale cute (and some not-so-cute) pets of varied species as well as two or three types of robots. I will hopefully be able to integrate some sound effects into this.
Last edited by CaptSolo on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Welcome back Captain!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

CaptSolo wrote:
Work will continue on a new project inspired by Superbatprime's Ships Cat OXP. I have called it Shipmates OXP, and will offer for sale cute (and some not-so-cute) pets of varied species as well as two or three types of robots. I will hopefully be able to integrate some sound effects into this.
This sounds very cool, Solo!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Good to see you back. Have a cookie :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
Seconded! Also, those commanders who feel most ships are not colourful enough will be thrilled about your shipset plans, I'm sure.. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Smivs wrote:
Good to see you back. Have a cookie :)
Thanks for the dark-side cookie, Smivs. To the casual observer who doesn't know me: I am better at playing the game than making OXP's. I spend, at the least, one hour every evening immersed in this fantastic game. And, I do not hurry the experience.

I think my Shipmates OXP idea has stirred the most interest. I just need a bit more JS know how to make it achieve my goal. The best way - for me anyway - is to learn from the boffin's by dissecting their code. The equipment plist is no problem. I made extensive use of the Conditions specifier to insure only a few - if any - shipmate items are available at any one system. I give you a sneak preview of one of the shipmates for sale:
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

New updated version of the [wiki]Cougar ST OXP[/wiki]:

1) Corrected model integrity (Hey, these things happen).
2) New UAV texture mapping (stitch method) quite similar to previous but with a purple / yellow theme.
3) No custom shaders as these are superfluous for this ship.
4) Stealthy Cougar now even more rare and no longer added by script.
5) Player flyable version added and rogue version removed. Player Cougar stats on wiki page.

Direct Box download:
https://app.box.com/s/ysy1g3sbi2esnjs7hcl8
Last edited by CaptSolo on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Keeper has shaderfied the Cougar OXP and I will be uploading the revised version today.

edited to add:
Box link above points to new version. Thank you for your work, Keeper.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cody wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
Seconded! Also, those commanders who feel most ships are not colourful enough will be thrilled about your shipset plans, I'm sure.. :D
Ah well, I've finally made up my mind to dump the ship set permanently, which is probably a good thing all round, and concentrate my time on the other two projects atm. It was fun re-working the original models though and a good learning tool as well.

I've taken a fancy to adding multiple ship sets. I have Griff's, SimonB's Neolites, and Smivs ship sets adding a lovely touch of variety. One thing about Neolites that is a bit... ahem, what to say... strange?! The Boa's have like lifeboat subentities. Other than that I find Simons take on the classics quite interesting.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

CaptSolo wrote:
Other than that I find Simons take on the classics quite interesting.
He's also done two of the best takes on the, rather tricky, Fer-de-Lance (IMO). The Neolite one might be a bit radical but it looks like it would fit the role very well, and his re2dux F-d-L is the one that best captures the feel of the original for me...

Getting back to your stuff though... I really like the Moccasin and Copperhead (I and especially II), thanks for making those :D

It sounds like you've got lots of projects on at the moment (plus the stuff you've done with Griff's ships for 1.79 or whatever we're up to).
I look forward to seeing your next project come to fruition.

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I had heard about re2dux and just now added it. I say, Simon really has gone back more toward the classic look, but with lots of flash gear. Gotta love the glows and the look of vessels that have been around the eight and back again.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Loving the new shaded Cougar , downloaded it as soon as I read about it. It reminds a little of the Aliens I sometimes encounter.
CaptSolo wrote:
I had heard about re2dux and just now added it. I say, Simon really has gone back more toward the classic look, but with lots of flash gear. Gotta love the glows and the look of vessels that have been around the eight and back again.
Seconded...SBs work garners much respect IMO, I am particularly enjoying the challenge of trying to nail just one of his Aphid Pirates and I appreciate also the Sense of Humour viz a viz the Bath time Easter Egg sometimes found in Asteroid Fields :)

Now ..if only someone could mend his awesome ubertharg oxp so that it actually shot at us
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I'm bringing back some of my OXP's from the nether regions I retired them. first up: The Cougar. This ship once sported an IFF invisibility factor secondary to having a Military Jammer. It is now quite ordinary in that regard, but its modus operandi has not changed. Suffice it to say it may be a helper to those who tread where they perhaps should not.

Edited to add:
Argghh! I found AI and or script bugs which need fixing
Last edited by CaptSolo on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.