Re: Elite: Dangerous - and the return

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by Thargoid »

And the surface (at least the pro version) will run the PC version anyway. And the RT version isn't worth bothering about.

As for tablets, it's a nice fantasy but not exactly practical given how many key inputs would be needed (and for the record I'm writing this on one).
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Further to the above, it's generally claimed that Linux has only 1% of the desktop market, although the reality is there's no way to know for sure.

Overall however, Linux is totally killing the opposition.

As Smivs pointed out, Android IS Linux.

If you consider all computing platforms, including mobile, then Windows has only 20%, Apple's iOS and MacOS X combined has 24% and Linux has 42% (and that would be mostly in the form of Google's Android alone - much of the remaining 14% 'other' are lesser-known variants of Linux as well)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

FD are being very short-sighted here I think.
As Dizzie points out the extent of Linux penetration is hard to assess (because 'sales figures' are unknown - it's free!) but it is almost certainly higher than the figures suggest.
A recent poll here suggests that around our members 27% are Linux users, and from a personal point of view almost all my friends are Linux users - the only Windows user I know is my Brother-in-Law.
There is a growing recognition that Linux is actually the superior gaming platform. Game-maker Valve are successfully marketing games to Linux users, so much so they are now promoting Linux to Windows users, and even Blizzard are known to have a working Linux version of World of Warcraft. Egosoft, THQ and Overhaul Games are also seriously looking at Linux.
We all know David Braben appreciates Linux (the rasperry pi runs it!), so why this backward-looking reluctance to accept that a Linux port of E:D is needed? Hopefully common-sense will prevail.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Smivs wrote:
FD are being very short-sighted here I think.
Is the quote actually from FD? Or just noise from their forum? I can't believe that, given the sheer difficulty of converting a game like this from desktop machines (with mice, keyboards, joysticks etc.) to pads, this is a statement from anyone with more than jam between their ears ... I mean, if we're talking platform conversions and if key inputs aren't a big deal, surely it would be easier, and reach a much larger gaming market, to convert to PS3 and XBox? I thought the quote was just from some nerk who got an iPad for Christmas and wants preferential service.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The quote was from a forum member - if it'd been from FD (or someone connected), I would have stated such!
Our penguinistas do seem to become very defensive, very easily though - it's an alternative OS, is all!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

El Viejo wrote:
Our penguinistas do seem to become very defensive, very easily though - it's an alternative OS, is all!
Not so much defensive as standing up for our corner - we do feel like an oppressed (or at least neglected) minority sometimes, and as you say it is (just) another O/S, so why is it not treated as such?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

Forget not the Raspberry Pi (I'm sure DB hasn't ;)). 1M+ units sold so far and all with Debian as the 'official' OS. Prime territory for a killer app.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Not that simple I think. For Frontier it's about what is commercially viable. I agree, Linux is a lot bigger than people think. It is also much more diverse in it's implementations than people think. Frontier has to think about
A) On what platform can E:D be installed and played including things like support for adequate control mechanisms and hardware.
B) Is there a user base on those particular implementations of the OS in question to make this economically viable.
There are many additional consideration such as how much does it cost to implement, what kind of support is required, what hardware is supported, distribution mechanisms, and so on.

In that scenario, I imagine that Mac OSX gives a faster and easier way to a larger market than Linux.
I certainly hope there will be a Linux version, but I think it will take a while.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ooh... a news letter, with more concept art. The basic Sidewinder looks pretty cool!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It does - and those capital ships look lovely too. The Federation one looks quite Star Destroyer inspired though.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I ain't so keen on the capital ships - but I have odd ideas about capital ship design.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

El Viejo wrote:
I ain't so keen on the capital ships - but I have odd ideas about capital ship design.
Well it looks at least they are doing it with taste. And besides I love Capital ships but not too many (like Eve). Also glad to see that with capital ship design in Oolite (Aurora, Emerald, Behemoth) we weren't too far of the concepts that I see now.

The cockpit variations look very good. I hope you can order yourself a variant of it. Also good to see the Sidewinder get some Love. To be honest in Oolite I would never buy this ship even a Griff variant because of having not so much cargo etc.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

pagroove wrote:
Also good to see the Sidewinder get some Love. To be honest in Oolite I would never buy this ship even a Griff variant because of having not so much cargo etc.
The Eagle Mk II in Frontier was the Sidewinder of its day - I am happy to see it being centre of focus for startup commanders in ED though. Always had a soft spot for it.

I have to say, though, these designs in ED are almost Griff-like in their look. Maybe our beloved ship designin' man is doing some moonlighting? ;-)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

NigelJK wrote:
Forget not the Raspberry Pi (I'm sure DB hasn't ;)). 1M+ units sold so far and all with Debian as the 'official' OS. Prime territory for a killer app.
Unfortunately I rather doubt that the Pi would have enough grunt to run E: D!
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

Well he got elite to run and a model B and and Electron :)