Firefox pdf reader

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Firefox pdf reader

Post by Cody »

The latest Firefox (19) has a built-in pdf reader - it seems to work too, so it's goodbye to Adobe/Foxit.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Firefox pdf reader

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
The latest Firefox (19) has a built-in pdf reader - it seems to work too, so it's goodbye to Adobe/Foxit.
Awesome news - I do have Adobe Reader for just that reason as unfortunately MATE's document viewer, Atril, doesn't do the built in pdf reading through Firefox.

Looking at the list of Mint updates, I see Firefox 19 on the list - time to go upgrade and then say goodbye to adobe reader!

Thanks for the heads up El Viejo :).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

My problem is, my FF has 15 pinned tabs, and anywhere from a dozen to fifty other tabs open at any given time, depending on what I'm working on.. bit of a PITA to load up that every time I just want to read a PDF.

So mostly I use Foxit's Linux version.. I just wish they'd update the damn thing.. the current version is at least 3 years old, and lacks many features of the Windows version.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
I used to love Foxit (I remember when the portable version ran from a 1.44 floppy), but over the years its has got more and more bloated and now seems to have as many bugs/quirks/annoyances as Adobe.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

I guess I missed out (to a degree) - I never heard of Foxit before.
Diziet Sma wrote:
My problem is, my FF has 15 pinned tabs, and anywhere from a dozen to fifty other tabs open at any given time, depending on what I'm working on.. bit of a PITA to load up that every time I just want to read a PDF.

So mostly I use Foxit's Linux version.. I just wish they'd update the damn thing.. the current version is at least 3 years old, and lacks many features of the Windows version.
Unless you need to read the pdf in Firefox (such as a form to be filled out), atril works quite well, I'm surprised you don't use that. It's lightweight, snappy and you don't have to deal with yet another tab in your FF window either :).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Anything's better than acrobat pro :roll:

I'm sitting here @work with a spanking new mac pro, quad core xeon, 16 gig, the works...

Everything works smooth, snappy snappy snappy.

I just opened an 18mb pdf and the darn thing scrolls like I'm back in 1985, stuttering, all but unusable because of terribly laggy interaction, ggggrrrrrrrrr! :evil: :evil:

Seriously, how can they go so wrong?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Rxke wrote:
Anything's better than acrobat pro :roll:

I'm sitting here @work with a spanking new mac pro, quad core xeon, 16 gig, the works...

Everything works smooth, snappy snappy snappy.

I just opened an 18mb pdf and the darn thing scrolls like I'm back in 1985, stuttering, all but unusable because of terribly laggy interaction, ggggrrrrrrrrr! :evil: :evil:

Seriously, how can they go so wrong?
I don't think Adobe make as good a products as they used to. (You're right 18 MB is not sufficiently big enough to be causing that kind of lag when the computer has about 16 GB to play with). Looks like you need to find a new reader, perhaps this one is worth a look?:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2506
Cody

Post by Cody »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Looks like you need to find a new reader...
If it's a work computer, then maybe Rxke has little/no choice as to which Apps are installed.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
Looks like you need to find a new reader...
If it's a work computer, then maybe Rxke has little/no choice as to which Apps are installed.
Duh, good point - I forgot to think about that :oops: :P .

Well, if you do have the freedom to do so Rxke, you should find something more usable :).
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Heehee, I'm root, so I'm good! :lol:

It's no biggie, I was just appalled. It felt so... Wrong.

Colleague says 64 bit on windows seems to be better, they probably cut lots of legacy code on the later versions.