Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Post by GGShinobi »

How about releasing 2 different versions - version 1 without animations (or just simple ones) and another one with many subentities on which I can try to get all those animation stuff to work?

That way I and the rest of the Ooniverse wouldn't have to wait so long for this awesome ship to be released! :D

And when I someday manage to get the animations to work, you can make an upgrade release with both versions in one package (similar to Falcon and Falcon-S in Kestrel&Falcon.oxp).
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

GGShinobi wrote:
How about releasing 2 different versions - version 1 without animations (or just simple ones) and another one with many subentities on which I can try to get all those animation stuff to work?

That way I and the rest of the Ooniverse wouldn't have to wait so long for this awesome ship to be released! :D

And when I someday manage to get the animations to work, you can make an upgrade release with both versions in one package (similar to Falcon and Falcon-S in Kestrel&Falcon.oxp).
LOL!!! I could do that, if you want. I haven't started chopping it up into seperate entities yet. I bet it's going to be a joy to unwrap in it's present state. I'll give it a shot, and let you know.
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

mandoman wrote:
GGShinobi wrote:
LOL!!! I could do that, if you want. I haven't started chopping it up into seperate entities yet. I bet it's going to be a joy to unwrap in it's present state. I'll give it a shot, and let you know.
Cool! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'll get my Comet soon... :P

EDIT: I just discovered that with "What type of new ships would people like to see as OXPs" there exists a thread wit a similar topic... (adding link to first post now) :)

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

GGShinobi wrote:

EDIT: I just discovered that with "What type of new ships would people like to see as OXPs" there exists a thread wit a similar topic... (adding link to first post now) :)
It may be a while yet. I always do a thorough balancing of my ships, any more. For a while, without knowing it, I was releasing ships that weren't balanced the best. I think I have all those corrected, now. This Comet is proving to be a real bugger to balance. There is just so much of it, that it's going to take some doing to get it aligned straight, and true. Sorry. :|
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

mandoman wrote:
GGShinobi wrote:

There is just so much of it, that it's going to take some doing to get it aligned straight, and true. Sorry. :|
:? Hmm...? no problem.. I... I ain't got time anyway for flying the comet you know. :roll: I'm working on the External Repair System, and my brother came to visit me... and I really oughta work and study anyway. So all fine. :|

*turns around so no one can see his face*

:(

:cry: *wuhuuuuuu* :cry:

*wuhuuuuuu* :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: *wuhuuuuuu*

:mrgreen: ======================= :mrgreen:
:wink: No seriously, it's great that you put so much effort into this. This will be the perfect ship!! :D And I really like that pleasant anticipation that it gives me to wait for it! :mrgreen:

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Diziet Sma wrote:
And, of course, the legendary Fireball XL5 :lol:

Which, because of the detachable nosecone section, is just crying out for Smivs latest Oo-tech
OK I've decided to have a look at putting together a Fireball XL5 OXP.

I have gathered some reference material which should allow me to create a model and texture it however I didn't actually see the show so other than still images I have collected I don't know too much about this ship.

Therefore I was hoping that those of you who have more knowledge may be able to advise on some or all of the following: -

1 - Length of the model (In Oolite metres - I can scale everything up once the overall length is decided).
2 - Cargo capacity.
3 - Cargo bay extension.
4 - Maximum speed.
5 - Thrust.
6 - Manoeuvrability (Roll and Pitch).
7 - Energy.
8 - Energy recharge rate.
9 - Gun mounts (Presumably for use in Oolite we will want all four gun mounts available).
10 - Missile slots.
11 - Presumably shield boosters, military shields and fuel scoops will all be available.

I also intend to produce a specific escape pod for this OXP (Which will be the front section that is shown detached in the image previously posted by Diziet Sma).

Any other comments, suggestions or advise would be very welcome.

I'll post some images of how things are progressing once I get started.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

There are a few clips on youTube which may help (if you can ignore the ones for the theme song).
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

That damn tune! A little digging led me to an old '50s US TV series called Space Patrol - a nice-looking ship, is that!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wow.. that's terrific news, Shipbuilder!
Thargoid wrote:
There are a few clips on youTube which may help (if you can ignore the ones for the theme song).
Evil idea for the week.. include the theme song in the OXP, wired up to replace the docking music.. :twisted:

(yes, I know that copyright issues would probably prevent that, but the thought of EV's head asploding makes it an intriguing idea to contemplate!)

<keeps fingers and eyes crossed for TB2, which is the ship I mostest wants in all the world>
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

Shipbuilder wrote:
OK I've decided to have a look at putting together a Fireball XL5 OXP.
Therefore I was hoping that those of you who have more knowledge may be able to advise on some or all of the following: -
10 - Missile slots.
As you may have seen in one or more of the YouTube clips (eg episode 1, Planet 46), the missiles are on internal mounts at the side of "Fireball Junior". That particular episode only shows them being fired from the left of the ship, so I'm not certain whether there was a starboard bay also, and how many missiles in total, although I don't remember them ever being in short supply.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
... but the thought of EV's head asploding makes it an intriguing idea to contemplate!
This would lead to sombrero fallout - which is an excellent tale!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Ok just a quick update on progress.

I have managed to model the front section of the ship, (See below), and am now in the process of modelling the rear main section of the ship.

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ship Wishlist!!!

Post by Shipbuilder »

Does anyone know if it is possible to script exausts so that they only become active when a ship is travelling at maximum speed ?

If so would it be possible for anyone to post a "simple" example ?

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Ship Wishlist!!!

Post by cim »

Shipbuilder wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to script exausts so that they only become active when a ship is travelling at maximum speed ?
The only control you get over exhausts is the position, nothing else. They might be made more scriptable eventually.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Thanks for letting me know cim (Maybe one for the future).

Anyway latest update shot with the model 90% completed.