Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Vampire MkIV : Diamondback

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Vampire MkIV : Diamondback

Post by Gimi »

another_commander wrote:
I think that some of them have a chance of carrying the scanner jammer thingy equipment. Can't remember the actual name now (and can't be bothered to look it up) but it's a piece of equipment that is included in the core game but is officially totally unsupported.
And where/how can this be enabled or even bought. Is it a thing that could have an effect for the player. Given that the computer has to know where you are to fire at you, I assume that a player version has less relevance (unless it reduces accuracy of NPC laser fire and increases the time NPC's use to target you).

Not sure this is something I would want as player equipment in my game, but interesting concept.
Last edited by Gimi on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

another_commander wrote:
I think that some of them have a chance of carrying the scanner jammer thingy equipment. Can't remember the actual name now (and can't be bothered to look it up) but it's a piece of equipment that is included in the core game but is officially totally unsupported.
Yep -

Code: Select all

has_military_jammer = "true";
is in the shipdata and from the wiki
Determines if a ship has a military jammer. Ships equipped with this item become invisible on the radar.
Gimi wrote:
And where/how can this be enabled or even bought.
It's in the standard equipment.plist but with a techlevel of 99. You could always hack it into a save game if you wanted to see how.if it works on a player ship.

Code: Select all

/* next item has a TL too high to be available */
	(
		99, 1500000, "Military Anti-Scanner Countermeasures (MASC'M)",
		"EQ_MILITARY_JAMMER",
		"Developed from experimental cloaking prototypes, this jamming device stops enemy ships from scanning your craft."
	),
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Cheers Amaranth :-)

yeah, they're primarily a hard-hitting military ship so are specced up w/ cloaks (they'll start flickering in an out of sight when active) and scanner jammers ~ gives you a bit of a jolt when your scanner's clear and you suddenly get hit by multiple lasers :-)
Amaranth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Amaranth »

Thanks for clearing that up. Seems that the behaviour that confused me is actually the ships doing exactly what they are meant to do. :)
On a break
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Gimi wrote:
And where/how can this be enabled or even bought. Is it a thing that could have an effect for the player. Given that the computer has to know where you are to fire at you, I assume that a player version has less relevance (unless it reduces accuracy of NPC laser fire and increases the time NPC's use to target you).

Not sure this is something I would want as player equipment in my game, but interesting concept.
To expand a little - if the player ship has one it basically means that nothing will fire a missile at you (and Thargoid warships will not launch Thargons, as technically they are a missile launch as well). But it won't stop NPCs shooting you with lasers or turrets, you need a cloaking device for that.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thargoid wrote:
To expand a little - if the player ship has one it basically means that nothing will fire a missile at you (and Thargoid warships will not launch Thargons, as technically they are a missile launch as well). But it won't stop NPCs shooting you with lasers or turrets, you need a cloaking device for that.
Which makes it into an interesting piece of equipment that fits nicely in-between the cloaking device and the ECM system. How about same energy drain as the cloaking device but cheaper/obtained by an easier mission or drains less energy, but costs the same/is obtained by an equally difficult mission. Something to think about for after 1.76 or as an OXP. (I think I would prefer it as an OXP).
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It doesn't currently cause any energy drain.

Plus as mentioned above, whilst it's included in the trunk it's not currently supported, even though it works fine. Iirc it was planned as a piece of mission equipment, but never got fully realised.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thargoid wrote:
It doesn't currently cause any energy drain.

Plus as mentioned above, whilst it's included in the trunk it's not currently supported, even though it works fine. Iirc it was planned as a piece of mission equipment, but never got fully realised.
I fully understand, and I don't expect to see this in MNSR. But done right, it could be a nice balanced addition to the equipment list. So for 1.7X maybe. I don't expect any promises at all.
zdoofop
Average
Average

Post by zdoofop »

I want to fly all the ships!!! How cool would it be to have 5x forward militry lasers! Is it feasible at this time?
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

zdoofop wrote:
I want to fly all the ships!!! How cool would it be to have 5x forward militry lasers! Is it feasible at this time?
I haven't tested them yet, but you could check out the [wiki]MFLPS[/wiki] ("multiple forward laser player ships"). They have 2 front lasers, but no rear laser. But from the description, I don't think it's possible to fire both front lasers simultaneously...

Then, there is also the [wiki]GHOST Gunship[/wiki], which seems to have several front lasers. But I didn't test that yet, either...
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

zdoofop wrote:
How cool would it be to have 5x forward militry lasers! Is it feasible at this time?
Nope, and it like won't be at any time.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Also, multiple forward lasers wouldn't be anything like as 'good' as you might think. Because of the spacing between them it is very unlikely that more than one would be hitting the target at any one time, so you'd just be wasting lots of energy putting on a light show!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

Smivs wrote:
Also, multiple forward lasers wouldn't be anything like as 'good' as you might think. Because of the spacing between them it is very unlikely that more than one would be hitting the target at any one time, so you'd just be wasting lots of energy putting on a light show!
Hmm. I know it is pretty hard to hit even normal sized ships from a distance - but would what you say not only be the case if the targeted ship has a smaller size than my own? Or, to be more precise, only if it was smaller then the gaps between my lasers? Since the lasers should be aligned so that they fire in parallel lines, the distance between them should stay the same, regardless of how far away the target is.
But now that I think about it: many ships (like the Cobra MKIII) are hard to hit from certain angles, so I think to some degree you are right, Smivs. :)
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS