Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Screenshots

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
Yes, nebulae are big time frame rate killers, as evidenced early on by the Bebege system (gal 2) in conjunction with Ionics OXP.
Problem with Ionics was that it increased the size of the nebula in some systems till an acceptable level. But than some people added other oxps that increased the count of nebula in all systems. For the Ionics systems this double increase was real frame killer, specially on my old 700MHz mac. :wink:

But that is fixed long ago in Ionics by also setting the nebula count for those systems to the default value. That way the Ionic systems now look as the original author had in mind.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Thanks to Cim's [wiki]Camera Drones[/wiki] set to target mode, I am able to watch the activity from the dock master's point of view. Pretty cool watching from the bridge of other ships as well.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thanks to Cim's [wiki]Camera Drones[/wiki] set to target mode, I am able to watch the activity from the dock master's point of view. Pretty cool watching from the bridge of other ships as well.
Pretty damn cool. Must try that out. :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

This worthless miscreant and his pals caused me some trouble... gotta love his name, though:

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

pagroove wrote:
Pretty damn cool. Must try that out. :)
:shock:

Very damn cool indeed. Seconded!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Griff's stations can easily set me to [imagination mode]:

The docking bay itself has doors which are moved in place by huge mechanisms above, below and on either side. This way the station can be secured during critical times.

Once a pilot has successfully docked, four large tractor beams secure the ship. A door opens either below or ahead of the ship, and the tractor beams move it quickly and quietly into a vast space, where another set of tractor beams grab on and move us neatly to our assigned berth. Once the ship is berthed, a tube is extended and magnetically sealed to the ship's personnel portal, allowing us commander's to leave the ship. Once all the normal paperwork and checks are done we can get a drink at the bar and talk shop with other spacers.[/imagination mode]

Or you could call that bit the ravings of a person who plays Oolite too much.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

CaptSolo wrote:
Or you could call that bit the ravings of a person who plays Oolite too much.
Dude! I based an entire WEBSITE on that very mindset!! ;-)

Seriously though, I imagine it much the same. Frontier and the Amiga version of Elite had some docking processes.

Enter docking port, which then acts as a lift to take you to a particular bay - either up or down from the port. Then the rest exactly as you mention, all tractor beams and stuff.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
This worthless miscreant and his pals caused me some trouble... gotta love his name, though:

:lol: Indeed
Look what I've been getting lately (on the occasion when I have a bounty on my head). I've never seen it before until recently, either...
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Cody

Post by Cody »

Only 750? The fine can be a lot worse, whereas attitude adjustment only eats time (not good if you're running contracts, of course)!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
Only 750? The fine can be a lot worse, whereas attitude adjustment only eats time (not good if you're running contracts, of course)!
:) - yeah, only 750 Cr, but I don't think my bounty at the time was very high (I try to keep my nose clean, but things don't always go ideally, especially when I attack Black Monks who may not have a bounty yet but are attacking some poor Jameson :D).

The attitude adjustment is probably the funniest thing about this new message :P (I don't work any timed contracts, so the time loss is never a big deal ;))
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Cody

Post by Cody »

CommRLock78 wrote:
I don't work any timed contracts, so the time loss is never a big deal
No, neither do I... and the attitude adjustment clears the record nicely (it doesn't seem to adjust my attitude though... hmm).
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

CommRLock78 wrote:
I've never seen it before until recently, either...
Actually... they were already there in Oolite 1.65 with the same frequency. :)

And it is a fast way to get clean. When you are a minor offender, just lurk around the station until you are noticed and warned by a police. Just make sure you are only a minor offender, or you get more than a warning by the patrol ship. :evil:
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Eric Walch wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
I've never seen it before until recently, either...
Actually... they were already there in Oolite 1.65 with the same frequency. :)

And it is a fast way to get clean. When you are a minor offender, just lurk around the station until you are noticed and warned by a police. Just make sure you are only a minor offender, or you get more than a warning by the patrol ship. :evil:
:idea: :!: - Of course, I remember now that I was indeed warned before docking (and verifies that my bounty wasn't very high, just as I recalled). This is really good to know as I can make use of the quick clean if needed (or desired ;)). Thanks for clearing that up Eric :). I'm surprised I'd never experienced this until the other day, but then I don't make habit of hanging around the station with a bounty on my head.
El Viejo wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
I don't work any timed contracts, so the time loss is never a big deal
No, neither do I... and the attitude adjustment clears the record nicely (it doesn't seem to adjust my attitude though... hmm).
:lol: - I didn't notice much change in my attitude either ;).
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

1. A "Workers Commuter" docking at Erenranri in Galaxy 2, caught by a Docking Camera Drone. According to a certain Commander Jameson Blackadder who was observing this event from another inbound vessel, the Coriolis station "...appeared to be like a turkey being rodgered by an omnibus." Station management declined to comment.

A Smivs-textured "Atomic Annie" can be seen in the distance.

2. A Griff-textured "Atomic Annie" in a flyby past an unidentified planet in Galaxy 2, captured by a Tracking Camera.

(Please advise if the links to Google Drive don't work...)
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Cody

Post by Cody »

That's a lovely texture on the Griff Anaconda - nice pic!