Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Where are my pictures?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

AnnuverScotinExile
Above Average
Above Average

Where are my pictures?

Post by AnnuverScotinExile »

I cannot find pictures taken from Oolite.

Windows Vista Home Premium.

Oolite is installed in a directory under C:\Program Files (I suspect this may be an issue). I can find the oolite-saves directory : It appears to be empty, but who knows with windows playing tricks about what it shows you. There is a snapshots subdirectory: it too appears to be empty.When I press Shift-8 ('*') there is a short but visible pause, so I suspect that the program is trying to take a picture. Right clicking on the properties of theose directories shows them to be read only: If I change this to not read only, it reverts again immediately. Any ideas?

While you are at it, where do I find the commander save files? There is no sign of them, either, though they clearly exist, since I get a list of them every time I fire up Oolite. I would like to back them up: don't want to waste all those hours getting to nearly deadly (a couple of hundred away, now) should some catastrophe occur.

Murky buckets.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Where are my pictures?

Post by Cody »

I know zilch about Vista, but in somewhere like Explorer/Tools/Folder options/View there should be a show/don't show hidden files option... that may help.
Oolite installed in C:\Program Files is often problematical, yes.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
AnnuverScotinExile
Above Average
Above Average

El Viejo wrote:
I know zilch about Vista, but in somewhere like Explorer/Tools/Folder options/View there should be a show/don't show hidden files option... that may help.
Oolite installed in C:\Program Files is often problematical, yes.
Yeah the show hidden files is set to show them, and always has been. But it is showing nowt.

If I just move (or, perhaps, copy test and then delete) Oolite to be under the C:\ root, will that just work, or have I got to faff about? If I could find the commander save files, I would feel much more comfortable about attempting such a thing.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'd be very reluctant to try stuff unless I'd found/backed-up my save-game first.
AnnuverScotinExile
Above Average
Above Average

Ah, yes, well.

I copied from the Oolite directory under Program Files to a new directory under C:\. Ran the Oolite.exe, and it all started up fine. Except there were no saved commanders. The original under Program Files still works, and has the saved commanders ...

So, anyone know where/how to find them?
Cody

Post by Cody »

A shot in the dark - C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore - they may be in there somewhere.
AnnuverScotinExile
Above Average
Above Average

El Viejo wrote:
A shot in the dark - C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore - they may be in there somewhere.
Bingo.

Found my pictures, too. And a log file. Indeed, everything I thought I wanted ...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

El Viejo wrote:
Oolite Any program writing files inside its folder structure installed in C:\Program Files is often problematical, yes.
Fixed that for you. ;-)

AnnuverScotinExile: About the new (copied) installation not finding saved games : This is also a result of having installed Oolite in Program Files. The information about the location of the saved games is stored under the .GNUstepDefaults file, found normally in oolite.app/GNUstep/Defaults. This file is generated the first time the game runs. Obviously, with the file virtualization being active, it got placed in the virtual store folder and that's why it was not copied over with the rest of the installation.

Moral of the story: Avoid installing in Program Files, Downloads, Windows OS folders or similar. There is a reason why the installer proposes a default installation at C:\Oolite.

Edit: This is now in the Oolite Wiki FAQ under Known Issues / Bugs, with the full solution to the problem, as provided by Microsoft.
AnnuverScotinExile
Above Average
Above Average

Thanks. You might like to update the Wiki FAQ on diagnosing problems to state where the log files really are !

Edit: I have now uninstalled and reinstalled (and upgraded to 1.77) into a directory not under Program Files. Everything looking good. Thanks for your help.