Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Fools Gold

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Koshed
Average
Average

Fools Gold

Post by Koshed »

Hi all,

I have been stock piling Gold in the vein hope that the Bloomburg OXP will tell me that the price has gone through the roof so I can make a huge profit, however I have discovered that for some reason I can only sell 127Kg in one go? I have got over 650Kg.

Have I missed a vital piece of information somewhere about selling limits?

Any advice greatly received.

Thx

K.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Fools Gold

Post by Cody »

Yep... 127kg is the max you can sell at any one station.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Koshed
Average
Average

Post by Koshed »

Looks like I will be bouncing in and out a few times then?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Koshed wrote:
...I have discovered that for some reason I can only sell 127Kg in one go? I have got over 650Kg.
It is even more fun when you take a lucrative cargo contract to deliver a few ton of gold and than miss the deadline. It will take a looong time to sell that gold at a reasonable price at the normal market. :lol:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

El Viejo wrote:
Yep... 127kg is the max you can sell at any one station.
To be precise: 127 units is the max any station can hold (or accepts from traders). Thus, if you dock with a station that has already 126 units, you can sell precisely 1 unit. And this applies to all commodities, not only Gold.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Koshed wrote:
I have got over 650Kg.
Also be aware that the safe on your ship has a limited storage capacity. When you have to much gold, it will start using storage room in your regular hold. And from that moment on, you might loose that part of the gold when the container gets destroyed in fight, or you accidentally dump the container with one ton of gold. :evil:
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

Eric Walch wrote:
Koshed wrote:
I have got over 650Kg.
Also be aware that the safe on your ship has a limited storage capacity. When you have to much gold, it will start using storage room in your regular hold. And from that moment on, you might loose that part of the gold when the container gets destroyed in fight, or you accidentally dump the container with one ton of gold. :evil:
:shock: Didn't know that! What's the limit?
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

GGShinobi wrote:
:shock: Didn't know that! What's the limit?
999kg, I think ... although I don't know if you can have 999kg of gold AND 999kg of platinum in the cockpit safe, or whether it's 999kg in total.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Disembodied wrote:
999kg, I think ... although I don't know if you can have 999kg of gold AND 999kg of platinum in the cockpit safe, or whether it's 999kg in total.
My safe has 3 compartments. 2 small ones than just can hold 999 kg each. And a big one that can hold 999999 grams of gems.

And for $#@$% reason, 1001 kg is handled by the computer as 1 ton in the cargo and 1 kg in the safe. :(
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Eric Walch wrote:
My safe has 3 compartments. 2 small ones than just can hold 999 kg each. And a big one that can hold 999999 grams of gems.

And for $#@$% reason, 1001 kg is handled by the computer as 1 ton in the cargo and 1 kg in the safe. :(
It does rather beg the question though: why can't I store some of my platinum in the gold compartment, if I've got 1010Kg of platinum and only 100kg of gold? Maybe it would be better to have a single 999kg total for all precious metals and gems ...
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

Eric Walch wrote:
Disembodied wrote:

Ah now I understand why sometimes I seem to have lost cargo space :-D

Thanks Eric Walch and Disembodied!
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Disembodied wrote:
It does rather beg the question though: why can't I store some of my platinum in the gold compartment
Galcop regulations on the transport of goods prohibit using the same container for two different commodities simultaneously. To enforce this, gold is transported in cuboid ingots, while platinum is transported in cylindrical ones. They just won't fit into the slots in the other safe.

The less answerable question: the capacity of the safe is 499kg. 499 is a prime number, so how are the ingots arranged within the safe?
Eric Walch wrote:
And for $#@$% reason, 1001 kg is handled by the computer as 1 ton in the cargo and 1 kg in the safe
That's not supposed to happen... It should always fill the safe first, for 499kg in the safe and 502kg in a single cargo pod.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

cim wrote:
That's not supposed to happen... It should always fill the safe first, for 499kg in the safe and 502kg in a single cargo pod.
Okay, I was not aware that this was changed. Until oolite 1.74 you could store unlimited amounts into the safe, leading to confusion for people adding the numbers. :wink:
In 1.75/1.76 this was changed in to putting surpluses full tonnes into the cargo bay. That choice was mainly for easy of calculation. I did see that at some places there was a code change in the rounding for 1.77 but was not aware that the hold/safe split was affected too.
Galcop regulations on the transport of goods prohibit using the same container for two different commodities simultaneously.
Like real life Holland were jewellers are not allowed to display silver and gold next to each other. :wink:
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Well I'm confused. So I can simultaneously carry 499kg of gold, 499kg of platinum, 499kg of gems, and 35 cargo pods in the hold? Is that right?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Eric Walch wrote:
In 1.75/1.76 this was changed in to putting surpluses full tonnes into the cargo bay. That choice was mainly for easy of calculation. I did see that at some places there was a code change in the rounding for 1.77 but was not aware that the hold/safe split was affected too.
The rounding in 1.76 was a bit odd. Occasionally it would let you have 37 cargo pods aboard a Cobra III - and then if you saved and reloaded it would remove two of them: specifically the gold one and the platinum one...
Wildeblood wrote:
Well I'm confused. So I can simultaneously carry 499kg of gold, 499kg of platinum, 499kg of gems, and 35 cargo pods in the hold? Is that right?
Yes (well, the first three are in safes, which makes them immune to damage to hold cargo, and impossible to jettison in flight, but apart from that)