Snoopers

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Dr.Tripsa
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Snoopers

Post by Dr.Tripsa »

Necro powers Activate!
though a couple weeks is hardly necro...

is this mirrored anywhere, apparently the Box account has maxed its bandwidth :(
No, I'm not a Trumble... that's a speciest and offensive remark!
~munch~
What?.... I'm hungry.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Another temporary link - removed.
Last edited by Cody on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Dr.Tripsa
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr.Tripsa »

THANK YOU!!
No, I'm not a Trumble... that's a speciest and offensive remark!
~munch~
What?.... I'm hungry.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

A mirror for [EliteWiki] Snoopers2.4 is available.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I'm getting some errors in the log with Oolite 1.77.1.5676:

Code: Select all

16:13:32.812 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]: ----- JavaScript warning (snoopers 2.4): Unknown escape code in string: %봠. (To encode a % sign without this warning, use %% - but prefer "percent" in prose writing.)
16:13:32.812 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefined]:       ../AddOns/Snoopers2.4.oxp/Scripts/snoopers.js, line 245.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

CaptSolo wrote:
I'm getting some errors in the log with Oolite 1.77.1.5676:
Thanks, CaptSolo - I've fixed the warnings in v2.5 already (soon to be released).
You can safely ignore the warnings - the string expansion will still work (at least for now).
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v2.5 is online.

Changes:
- Added screenID ("snoopers").
- Better detection for overridden screens.
- Added special news for PlanetFall.
- Raised limit to 900 chars.
- Added 50 g2 (G3) news.
- Reduced time for first time usage.
- Further texture optimization.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

I've found a grammatical error in version 2.5, line 234 of "descriptions.plist" associated with the Nova mission:

SNOOPERS_SPECIALS_3 = "GNN Lave: A long-anticipated nova event finally struck and eliminated the [mission_snoopers_nova] system. Scientists had reported a massive danger of solar flares and dangerous radiation long before and the government at [mission_snoopers_nova] ordered the evacuation. Prof.Dr. Argi Behe, spokesperson of the Galactic Insitute of Astronomy said: 'We advise travellers to steer clear of the star or buy some really terrific sunblock cream and wrinkle remover!'";
should read:

SNOOPERS_SPECIALS_3 = "GNN Lave: A long-anticipated nova event finally struck and eliminated the [mission_snoopers_nova] system. Scientists had reported a massive danger of solar flares and dangerous radiation long before the government at [mission_snoopers_nova] ordered the evacuation. Prof.Dr. Argi Behe, spokesperson of the Galactic Insitute of Astronomy said: 'We advise travellers to steer clear of the star or buy some really terrific sunblock cream and wrinkle remover!'";
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

I don't think that's a mistake. The meaning completely changes. I think the original intent simply was to state that it was known for a while that it was going to happen, so an evacuation had been ordered which readers are familiar with (hence the definite article). Your change makes it seem like an evacuation wasn't ordered until the last minute, despite the scientists' findings. I think the news article would be a bit more serious in tone if that were the case.

Either meaning is valid, but I think the original was intended.

There is a missing comma, however, after Astronomy. (Of course, the professional editor in me is cringing at spokesperson. If you know the gender of the person, use it!)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ranthe wrote:
I've found a grammatical error in version 2.5, line 234 of "descriptions.plist" associated with the Nova mission:

SNOOPERS_SPECIALS_3 = "GNN Lave: A long-anticipated nova event finally struck and eliminated the [mission_snoopers_nova] system. Scientists had reported a massive danger of solar flares and dangerous radiation long before and the government at [mission_snoopers_nova] ordered the evacuation. Prof.Dr. Argi Behe, spokesperson of the Galactic Insitute of Astronomy said: 'We advise travellers to steer clear of the star or buy some really terrific sunblock cream and wrinkle remover!'";
should read:

SNOOPERS_SPECIALS_3 = "GNN Lave: A long-anticipated nova event finally struck and eliminated the [mission_snoopers_nova] system. Scientists had reported a massive danger of solar flares and dangerous radiation long before the government at [mission_snoopers_nova] ordered the evacuation. Prof.Dr. Argi Behe, spokesperson of the Galactic Insitute of Astronomy said: 'We advise travellers to steer clear of the star or buy some really terrific sunblock cream and wrinkle remover!'";
Ha, nobody spotted the real typo. The word 'Institute' has three t's!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Smivs wrote:
Ha, nobody spotted the real typo. The word 'Institute' has three t's!
I blame the clock. It's almost 3 a.m. here...! Tiny font size too! Yeah. That's it. So there.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

<chuckles>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Keeper wrote:
I don't think that's a mistake. The meaning completely changes. I think the original intent simply was to state that it was known for a while that it was going to happen, so an evacuation had been ordered which readers are familiar with (hence the definite article). Your change makes it seem like an evacuation wasn't ordered until the last minute, despite the scientists' findings. I think the news article would be a bit more serious in tone if that were the case.

Either meaning is valid, but I think the original was intended.

There is a missing comma, however, after Astronomy. (Of course, the professional editor in me is cringing at spokesperson. If you know the gender of the person, use it!)
As long as we're fiddling, it might help to make that clearer by rephrasing the sentence, and adding a comma to split the two parts up ... and maybe a slight change in wording, to avoid the repetition of "danger/dangerous". Plus there's a missing space between "Prof." and "Dr." ... and - with some uncertainty over the speaker's species, let alone gender - you could try "spokesbeing" instead. :)

SNOOPERS_SPECIALS_3 = "GNN Lave: A long-anticipated nova event finally struck and eliminated the [mission_snoopers_nova] system. Scientists had previously reported a massive increase in solar flares and dangerous radiation, and the government at [mission_snoopers_nova] ordered the evacuation. Prof. Dr. Argi Behe, spokesbeing for the Galactic Institute of Astronomy, said: 'We advise travellers to steer clear of the star or buy some really terrific sunblock cream and wrinkle remover!'";
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Disembodied wrote:
As long as we're fiddling, it might help to make that clearer by rephrasing the sentence, and adding a comma to split the two parts up ... and maybe a slight change in wording, to avoid the repetition of "danger/dangerous". Plus there's a missing space between "Prof." and "Dr." ... and - with some uncertainty over the speaker's species, let alone gender - you could try "spokesbeing" instead. :)

SNOOPERS_SPECIALS_3 = "GNN Lave: A long-anticipated nova event finally struck and eliminated the [mission_snoopers_nova] system. Scientists had previously reported a massive increase in solar flares and dangerous radiation, and the government at [mission_snoopers_nova] ordered the evacuation. Prof. Dr. Argi Behe, spokesbeing for the Galactic Institute of Astronomy, said: 'We advise travellers to steer clear of the star or buy some really terrific sunblock cream and wrinkle remover!'";
That looks a lot better, and aligns with Keeper's comment.
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

I am going to relaunch my website with a focus on keeping it in character, so to speak.

Just wanted to check I am OK to use some Snoopers content with it?
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.