Java 7 update 11 woes

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Java 7 update 11 woes

Post by JazHaz »

Is anyone else having trouble getting Chrome or Firefox to recognise the latest Java? I can get website applets to run in Internet Explorer, but not in Chrome or Firefox.

I have followed the instructions in the troubleshooting part of java.com, to no avail. I've uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can remember.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Java 7 update 11 woes

Post by Cody »

I removed Java from my Firefox/machine ages ago - you shouldn't really need it, and it is a big security risk.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

El Viejo wrote:
I removed Java from my Firefox/machine ages ago - you shouldn't really need it, and it is a big security risk.
Certain online games sites run their games in Java. I'm using http://www.flyordie.com to play online multiplayer pool.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

El Viejo wrote:
you shouldn't really need it, and it is a big security risk.
I know, but I have a synology nas running several surveillance cameras. The synology system needs Java for its display. And by doing it in a browser, I can log in from everywhere without installing special software. At least when Java is present in the browser. :(
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

JazHaz wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble getting Chrome or Firefox to recognise the latest Java? I can get website applets to run in Internet Explorer, but not in Chrome or Firefox.

I have followed the instructions in the troubleshooting part of java.com, to no avail. I've uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can remember.
As far as I know, Chrome and Firefox have disabled Java because of a serious security hole that was recently discovered and has not been fixed yet. Surfing with java is said to be extremely risky at the moment. Since Internet Explorer is still allowing it and seemingly java can't completely turned of there, use of that browser is not recommended.

I'll see if I can find a link to back up my claims :) But I wanna post this quick, to prevent that your computer get's hijacked! :lol:

EDIT: Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28so ... 9#Security
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

GGShinobi wrote:
Firefox have disabled Java
As far as I read, Java was not disabled, but set at the highest security level, forcing the user to manually allow new scripts to run. That is indeed because in the last week Java update there was still a serious security risk left. Oracle new it on release, but probably wanted more time for a fix of that one and instead they forced the security settings to the highest value.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

If you absolutely must run Java over the 'net, it makes sense to at least sandbox it by running it in a Virtual Machine.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Diziet Sma wrote:
If you absolutely must run Java over the 'net, it makes sense to at least sandbox it by running it in a Virtual Machine.
Oh the irony. When Java was released, it was touted as being fully secure because all applets were sandboxed.